Why become a member? ×

Decided to pull the trigger on this Vintera II today.

Picked up secondhand at GG for about £250 less than the new price but it's still got the cellophane on the pickguard and neck plate.   We are getting used to each other this evening.   Initial impressions are very good : super easy to play, wide range of tones.  Nice and light, my back and shoulders will thank me after long gigs.  I'm feeling like it needs a lighter right hand touch than my long scale basses.   Have ordered a set of LaBella 760F-MUS strings.

Rehearsal tomorrow so will see how it fits into a band setting.

PXL_20240226_202225479.jpg

Edited by Edenburgh
  • Like 20

Update - Labella's have transformed this bass.   I think the strings that GG had fitted were cut down regular strings making the tension a bit loose meaning I was having to play quite lightly.    The tension is back with these strings and I can now dig in properly.  Fun, fun, fun!

PXL_20240228_223910782.jpg

• Like 13

Well this week, being on leave from work I’ve been doing a fair bit of playing, both on my fave Fender Precision and my JMJ Mustang and I have to admit that I’m no longer a Precision player but am now a Mustang player, they just suit me far better in pretty much every aspect. After years of playing Precisions I feel a bit disloyal admitting this to myself and I’ll never move on said Precision but Mustangs are my way forward.

• Like 10

Picked up this Vintera 60s towards the end of last year.

Absolutely love it. I’ve put some Fender flat wounds on it and in honesty I’m not a massive fan of the high tension so I’m going to try going back to slinky’s.

It was a strange adjustment at first and actually felt huge to play after 3 years of this Ortega acoustic being my main bass. I’ll be using the Mustang as my number 1 for a very busy 2024 so It’ll be well worn in by the end of the year I’m sure.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Fender Jazz Juniors are available  anywhere in the UK, or does anyone own one? Do they really exist? There’s not a lot of info online about them but they look spot on! IMG_8934.thumb.jpeg.f68237f379c453b73a8709d6791c15e8.jpegIMG_9266.thumb.jpeg.3317f2fc28cb47318719ace50ce374bd.jpeg

• Like 4

NBD!!  After much deliberation, finally decided to take the plunge on this drop-dead-gorgeous (IMHO) Sandberg Cali ll TM SL 2-band active that Thomann had in stock. Only just unpacked it but I can report that the build quality and playability are spot on - as I expected, having owned a Lionel. Thanks to its paulownia body and lightweight machine-heads, this one weighs next to nowt and still balances perfectly on the strap. I'll post more feedback when I've got to know it properly.

DSC_0257.JPG

• Like 23

7 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

NBD!!  After much deliberation, finally decided to take the plunge on this drop-dead-gorgeous (IMHO) Sandberg Cali ll TM SL 2-band active that Thomann had in stock. Only just unpacked it but I can report that the build quality and playability are spot on - as I expected, having owned a Lionel. Thanks to its paulownia body and lightweight machine-heads, this one weighs next to nowt and still balances perfectly on the strap. I'll post more feedback when I've got to know it properly.

DSC_0257.JPG

Absolutely lovely @scrumpymike.

Body looks sooooo lush  with a lovely maple neck. 

I'd be really interested to hear how the mix of the single coil neck Pup blends with the MM Stingray Pup. Congratulations on your latest acquisition,.

BTW

Have told Mrs Scrumpymike or are hiding it under the bed when it's delivered while she's out shopping?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

16 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

I knew you could spec the Cali for short scale, but didn't realise retailers were ordering them for stock. Looks good!

It just appears to be Thomann who are doing this. Jump on their UK website and search Electric basses > Short scale > Sandberg and you'll get around 20 basses with delivery times ranging from 'stock' to a number of weeks / months or 'to order'. What I like is that the selection isn't limited to what you might call standard basses. There's always a few SL and roasted maple necks in amongst what's on offer. This makes a lot of sense given that the waiting time for special orders is now 2 years!! I was lucky enough to find ex-stock almost exactly what I had recently designed on the Sandberg configurator, which would have cost me around £600 more and been subject to a 2-year wait. The only thing I configured that mine doesn't have is a roasted maple neck, but now I've got it I really like the mix of the lighter maple neck with the green burst and gold hardware.

Short-scale Sandberg basses at Thomann UK

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Absolutely lovely @scrumpymike.

Body looks sooooo lush  with a lovely maple neck. 

I'd be really interested to hear how the mix of the single coil neck Pup blends with the MM Stingray Pup. Congratulations on your latest acquisition,.

BTW

Have told Mrs Scrumpymike or are hiding it under the bed when it's delivered while she's out shopping?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

I'm the one hiding under the bed 🙃

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first Wilcock over 2 years ago and finally placed an order last year. Arrived today. Its awesome! Only had a short noodle on it but its sounds killer, love the 'bridge' pickup, getting used the mudbucker, but overall it plays great and its PINK!

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-14 at 18.34.01.jpeg

• Like 22

On 02/03/2024 at 11:48, scrumpymike said:

I'm the one hiding under the bed 🙃

This was always going to happen after the instant regret of flogging your Lionel to me!!

Enjoy, it looks fab and very versatile, Sandberg are just brilliant at what they do 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adee said:

flogging your Lionel 

Sounds like some sort of euphemism - following the court case, he expressed regret at flogging his lionel in Sainsbury's. :D 

• Haha 7

As usual I am probably catching up with what everyone else has known for years but Thomann are listing a fretless version of the Sire U5 shorty. Bizarrely, it is about 40 quid more expensive than the fretless version, which seems illogical to me. You pay more for having less! Perhaps it requires more work to slip bits of plastic into the CNCed fret slots, than fit frets.

Anyway, gripes about the sale price apart, has anybody tried one? What’s it like? I can’t think of any other reasonably priced fretless shorties, apart from the Harley Benton Beatles Bass.

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Sounds like some sort of euphemism - following the court case, he expressed regret at flogging his lionel in Sainsbury's. :D 

Yet another one to add to the already long list for what Basschat calls the 'pink torpedo'!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Yet another one to add to the already long list for what Basschat calls the 'pink torpedo'!

And poignant that it is in a thread about shorties.

Well, perhaps.  You know.  

:D 

• Haha 3

Folks, While contemplating selling my Vox Starstream H1, I had a little look at the Vox website: they currently have offers on the twin pickup models. The passive one is £199 but the Artist A2S (active) is only £399! Given that the A2S has Aguilar pickups and preamp, plus Hipshot hardware, that must be a real bargain. I suspect that you would find it hard to buy those components alone for that money, let alone with a bass attached!

Interestingly the single humbucker models are not being discounted and remain at £449 (passive) and £799 (active), which (of course) will make mine a real bargain when I get round to listing it 😀👍.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Folks, While contemplating selling my Vox Starstream H1, I had a little look at the Vox website: they currently have offers on the twin pickup models. The passive one is £199 but the Artist A2S (active) is only £399! Given that the A2S has Aguilar pickups and preamp, plus Hipshot hardware, that must be a real bargain. I suspect that you would find it hard to buy those components alone for that money, let alone with a bass attached!

Interestingly the single humbucker models are not being discounted and remain at £449 (passive) and £799 (active), which (of course) will make mine a real bargain when I get round to listing it 😀👍.

There's been a few posts on here already from me and others about the Starstream basses. I absolutely love my A2S and consider it a steal for the £799 I paid. The original RRP was over £1300 and even then worth every penny IMHO. GLWTS if/when you get round to it.

• Like 1