Why become a member? ×

I didn't ever consider short scale as something for me , then the more i read of this thread i kept thinking , maybe...

And then i found this https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200107353580008--fender-player-mustang-short-scale-bass-pj-aged-natural-pau-ferr

I fear signing up to the gear abstinence thread only to be the first eviction. The smarter person would have paid in full before midnight yesterday and i hesitate to include myself as a smarter person when there is so much evidence to the contrary

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Obrienp said:

The guitarist, in one of the bands I play in, also plays bass in another band. He bought one of the Squier VMs last year and has been very unhappy with the pickup set, which he describes as completely gutless. Admittedly, he is comparing it with his other bass, one of the more expensive Yamaha BBs. He said he has been unable to find a replacement set that will fit. Which gets me round to my question: is the Squier VM pickup set not the standard Mustang size?

I wonder if adding a Neodymium magnet on the back of the pickups would give them more oomph?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul S said:

That's the jobbies!  I was trying to remember.  NM4.  I had a set fitted to one of the VM Mustangs and it was a massive improvement over stock.

Thanks. I will pass that on to him.

Happy New Year all. LONG time not posting here. I have a bog standard Epiphone EB0. I am thinking about a mini humbucker install near the bridge. If so, can anyone recommend a middling one? Would I need a mount etc for it? I might go for the switching option in the neck pickup as well. (Is it a series or parallel switch etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my mitts on a Sandberg Lionel today. This one to be precise.

I have to say it was lovely. The neck was smooth and fast, felt like a cross between a P and a J to me. Wasn’t a fan of the active circuit but in passive mode I really enjoyed the tone. I have always been convinced I’d get a maple neck/maple board if I ever had the funds to buy one but the pau ferro board was gorgeous and I expect helped with the warm smooth tone. Certainly gave me some food for thought if I ever get to the point of being able to afford one…

Edited by Merton
  • Like 9

It's been a while since I succumbed to GAS but starting to get the hankering for a new shorty.  Problem is it's a one in one out policy with swmbo and I can't decide which of my current 3 shorties would go as I use them all......first world problems eh?

My hankering is for a Stingray SS; I'd love the ebmm but they aren't easy to come by and the eye watering new price is out of reach so I'd probably have to settle for the Sterling.  My current 3 are a Mikey Way Mustang, JMJ Mustang and Fullerton Fallout, I'd struggle to decide which one the Stingray could replace. 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2024 at 18:53, Merton said:

Finally got my mitts on a Sandberg Lionel today. This one to be precise.

I have to say it was lovely. The neck was smooth and fast, felt like a cross between a P and a J to me. Wasn’t a fan of the active circuit but in passive mode I really enjoyed the tone. I have always been convinced I’d get a maple neck/maple board if I ever had the funds to buy one but the pau ferro board was gorgeous and I expect helped with the warm smooth tone. Certainly gave me some food for thought if I ever get to the point of being able to afford one…

They can be bought as purely passive instruments.

Saves enough to rip out the pickup and replace it with a proper vintage thing!

On 24/12/2023 at 21:51, uncle psychosis said:

Mustang fans, how close do they get to P sounds? 

For *reasons* I'd quite like something to cover that ballpark but without it being a long scale P. 

Might want to try out an Ibanez Talman if you get the chance.

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

They can be bought as purely passive instruments.

Saves enough to rip out the pickup and replace it with a proper vintage thing!

Yep - I have actually found an almost identical one but passive…  trouble brewing 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

I put an Aguilar 60s wind in mine and it's just the job. Bit spendy though for a simple pickup.

I have that in my Zoot P5, it’s a lovely pickup… oh dear god what am I doing! 😅

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, martthebass said:

My hankering is for a Stingray SS; I'd love the ebmm but they aren't easy to come by and the eye watering new price is out of reach so I'd probably have to settle for the Sterling.  My current 3 are a Mikey Way Mustang, JMJ Mustang and Fullerton Fallout, I'd struggle to decide which one the Stingray could replace. 

I’d personally let the Fallout go, it’s the least feeling shorty of your short scales, well that’s the main reason I sold it to you!

You certainly wouldn’t be disappointed with an EBMM SS Stingray … if you can find a used one reasonably priced (that isn’t turdburst)

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Does the short Stingray actually sound like a ray?

I think so, even though it's missing the preamp (easily sorted with some eq if you really want that full on zing).

18 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Does the short Stingray actually sound like a ray?

Absolutely does! Really happy with mine, sits in the mix so well 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adee said:

I’d personally let the Fallout go, it’s the least feeling shorty of your short scales, well that’s the main reason I sold it to you!

You certainly wouldn’t be disappointed with an EBMM SS Stingray … if you can find a used one reasonably priced (that isn’t turdburst)

I’d love a Starry Night one like yours mate but they are rocking horse poo. I know what you’re saying regarding the fallout but I’ve gigged with it a fair bit this last 12 months and the sounds are awesome live - up there with my ‘swiss knife’ EBMM Sterling.

26 minutes ago, MJJS said:

There are currently two Atelier ZPOs available at Bass Japan Direct.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/76277268-atelier-z-zpo4-2016-transparent-blue

Oooh, those look lovely. I have the Baby Z4-J, which has the same electronics package as the ZPO in this ad, the same narrow 17mm spacing at the bridge and probably a very similar narrow neck shape, but with a Mustang / Musicmaster body shape which doesn't balance as well (slightly neckdivey). I adore that bass, it's incredibly fun to play and has a lovely modern active Jazz Bass tone. 

3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Oooh, those look lovely. I have the Baby Z4-J, which has the same electronics package as the ZPO in this ad, the same narrow 17mm spacing at the bridge and probably a very similar narrow neck shape, but with a Mustang / Musicmaster body shape which doesn't balance as well (slightly neckdivey). I adore that bass, it's incredibly fun to play and has a lovely modern active Jazz Bass tone. 

I have a ZPO5 and it balances as a normal jazz. The B on it is great, so you can imagine how good a 4 would be.