Why become a member? ×

32 minutes ago, three said:

I can’t comment on Serek (other than to say I find them very attractive) but have played and owned a number of Wilcocks. I found some surprising (to me) variation between the Wilcocks. None with serious flaws or issues but different in terms of feel and playability. Of the two I’ve owned, despite looking very similar, one is amongst the most comfortable basses I’ve played (very light, super-low buzz-free action) and the other was just a very good shortie. Not as spectacular as the first. I’ve found fit and finish to be about as good as anything you’d find on a UK custom bass in this price-range.

For a custom/boutique builder, that inconsistency is a little worrying - to me at least!!

• Like 1

just my two cents: Communication is its own skill. Some folks have expansive knowledge on the technical end. Some have the artistry to work with their materials (woodworking). Some folks are natural communicators. I'd sacrifice the comm skills if my builder has the artisty and knowledge.  Of course all three is the desire. But once I get my instrument the 2 are all that matter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

For a custom/boutique builder, that inconsistency is a little worrying - to me at least!!

I think that part of the issue for me was that the first Wilcock that I bought is so good, that almost anything else (in the price bracket) could be slightly disappointing.  There was nothing wrong with the second, it just didn't quite reach the dizzy heights of the first.  The finish on these basses (in my experience) is uniformly superb - I'm pretty sure it's the work of Bow Finishing.  The company's work on the Wilcocks and on another bass that they sprayed for me is outstanding.  As far as I know, the electronics/wiring is the work of the Gallery.  I doubt that anybody could go far wrong with a Wilcock.  They seem to be very hot in the UK and the US at the moment.  The second Wilcock that I owned is now in the US.  The first, unsurprisingly, is next to me as I type 

• Like 3

Just now, fretmeister said:

Thank you, kind sir.

I was hoping for narrower. 

Maybe I'll have to give in and try one of the Nordy ones. I think they are 17mm at the bridge.

I have tried out the Gretsch short scales and they are way heavier than they look. I had a Nordstrand Acinonyx and I was concerned about just how narrow the string spacing was but it played beautifully and was comfortable and stupidly light. I regret selling mine on and am seriously contemplating getting another.

• Like 1

Those Acinonyx are gorgeous things. I’ve been on the verge of buying one since they first appeared. And I’m quite happy to see they’re still cranking them out. So one of these days the inevitable will be inevitable.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

I do think that Viv has some good things going on. In fairness to Wilcock, my Mullarkey is fundamentally a great bass, it needed was some TLC on the neck, to bring it in line with what I'd become accustomed to from other builders.

One thing that did bug me, is that I feel, the promo video, showing Robin Mullarkey playing the LPB Wilcock JV-S2 a bass, 'a new passive bass guitar conceived by Viv Wilcock and Rob Mullarkey' mis-leading. Although it says in the video description that it has a Vol / Tone / 3-way pickup selector switch. The bass in the video, doesn't have the same control set up as the 'Mullarkey' that you buy; (although I'm sure that you could specify it). If you want to get near the same tones as Rob Mullarkey produces, it needs VVT wiring. If you want that exact tone, you need to hire Robin.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, msb said:

Those Acinonyx are gorgeous things. I’ve been on the verge of buying one since they first appeared. And I’m quite happy to see they’re still cranking them out. So one of these days the inevitable will be inevitable.

I'm tempted too, especially by the V2 with 3 p'ups and single row of push-buttons.

• Like 2

Currently getting a hankering to look at a EBMM Ray SS but it would mean having to lose one of my current shorties - don't ask but it keeps me out of the divorce courts.  Problem is I like all three of my current shorties; the mental G&L Fullerton Fallout, the JMJ Mustang and my Mikey Way Mustang which has done about 300 gigs with me (and looks the part in the Glam Band).  First world problems eh? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Currently getting a hankering to look at a EBMM Ray SS but it would mean having to lose one of my current shorties - don't ask but it keeps me out of the divorce courts.  Problem is I like all three of my current shorties; the mental G&L Fullerton Fallout, the JMJ Mustang and my Mikey Way Mustang which has done about 300 gigs with me (and looks the part in the Glam Band).  First world problems eh? 

Had a lovely white s-s 'Ray that was very comfortable to wear, a nice player and sounded great.

Come to think of it, why did I sell it? Disposing of it virtually amounted to a criminal offence. "Before sentencing, I'd like 27 similar offences taken into account m'Lud!"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scrumpymike said:

Had a lovely white s-s 'Ray that was very comfortable to wear, a nice player and sounded great.

Come to think of it, why did I sell it? Disposing of it virtually amounted to a criminal offence. "Before sentencing, I'd like 27 similar offences taken into account m'Lud!"

I could probably run to a Sterling Ray SS without too much drama but the word from my EBMM fanatic 'colleague' tells me that full fat EBMM is the only way to go.  Not having played either (and not much chance of finding a EBMM in a physical shop...) I wouldn't know.

2 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I could probably run to a Sterling Ray SS without too much drama but the word from my EBMM fanatic 'colleague' tells me that full fat EBMM is the only way to go.  Not having played either (and not much chance of finding a EBMM in a physical shop...) I wouldn't know.

Sorry, my mistake - I was referring to my SBMM 'Ray. I've had the posh expensive one too and have to agree with your colleague. Mind you, IMHO the difference in ownership experience doesn't reflect the massive price differential. The SBMM version is real value for money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scrumpymike said:

Sorry, my mistake - I was referring to my SBMM 'Ray. I've had the posh expensive one too and have to agree with your colleague. Mind you, IMHO the difference in ownership experience doesn't reflect the massive price differential. The SBMM version is real value for money.

No worries Mike.  I know what you mean about the price differential, the price of a new one (they rarely come up used - even then they are mucho casho) at +£2k is hard to stomach but I guess that's where the prices have moved.  Makes me take care of my old EBMM Sterling a bit more when I see the prices now.

5 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I have tried out the Gretsch short scales and they are way heavier than they look. I had a Nordstrand Acinonyx and I was concerned about just how narrow the string spacing was but it played beautifully and was comfortable and stupidly light. I regret selling mine on and am seriously contemplating getting another.

I don't seem to be playing my long scales at all so I'm giving serious thought to selling my Sandberg TT4 to fund a Nordy. The 'Berg is a beautiful bass but if I'm not using it then it's not really suiting a purpose other than being a dust magnet!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

a beautiful bass but if I'm not using it then it's not really suiting a purpose other than being a dust magnet!

Pretty much why my Shorty Ray was moved on. Too good to not be used by someone (keep an eye out on the GG website for it).

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I don't seem to be playing my long scales at all so I'm giving serious thought to selling my Sandberg TT4 to fund a Nordy. The 'Berg is a beautiful bass but if I'm not using it then it's not really suiting a purpose other than being a dust magnet!

I can recommend the Acinonyx “Cat” bass. I love my V1. Don’t be put off by the tone buttons: I find them great when gigging. You get an instant and consistent tone change. Of course, if you don’t like the pre-sets, then it might not be your cup of tea but from my perspective, it beats twiddling knobs. Apart from that, the pickups are great, the whole thing weighs twice nothing and it is so easy to play. Just made for surviving those 3 hour gigs IMO.

I was seriously tempted to add a V2 as well but when I heard Nordstrand are working on a 5 string version, I decided to keep my powder dry. It might actually be a 5 string I can play for more than 5 minutes without hand pain (arthritis).

• Like 3

Acinonyx is a great little bass. And Carey's design and engineering, and general approach are the best in the biz.

(owned three Nordy's and still own two, one of which is my main bass currently)

I'd like to snatch a Cat. But the ridiculously narrow nut width is a deal-breaker for me :(

So enjoy it: those, who don't have this issue! I'll envy you from the distance :)

• Sad 1

I finally took the plunge and purchased a (black) JMJ Mustang. Out of the box it was good, but not great. It felt good, but the E string never gave a consistent pitch - looking on an accurate tuner it was quite variable (a bit like a flabby 'B' string). In addition it was all rather noisy in my EMC test lab (also known as my study right next to the solar panel inverters).

After shielding, and changing the strings from the factory long scale fenders to the La Bella 760F-MUS flats, it is even better. E string now gives consistent pitch, string to string balance is better, and there is no noise.

I can see what all the fuss has been for the last few years - the JMJ Mustang is indeed a nice piece of kit. It might even be nicer to play than my 1970 Guild Starfire (although with slightly less character)!

Cheers,

Phil

• Like 3

On 04/12/2023 at 10:49, fretmeister said:

I am currently playing my dirt cheap (well - before my mods!) Jim Deacon P bass. I'm really liking the narrow string spacing at the bridge.

The other shorties I have use normal 19mm to 20mm spacing at the bridge so the neck splays from the nut quicker than it would on a long scale.

I quite fancy looking for other shorties with narrower spacing at the nut. I think the Deacon is about 16.5 mm.

Does anyone know if they did a Jazz version? I'd like to have that option if I can find one somewhere.

I've got a Jim Deacon shorty P in Olympic White, it's a nice looking bass with a vintage tinted neck, it plays & sounds really nice too.

There was a J&D Mini Jazz but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

On 08/12/2023 at 16:44, tazza1 said:

I've got a Jim Deacon shorty P in Olympic White, it's a nice looking bass with a vintage tinted neck, it plays & sounds really nice too.

There was a J&D Mini Jazz but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Do you have a link so I can keep an eye on stock?