Why become a member? ×

7 minutes ago, BetaFunk said:

The Ashdown website says the The Grail Short Scale is only Pre-Order

On their Facebook page they had the picture of the pink 'The Saint' bass at their open day/weekend. In reply to a few questions Mark Gooday had stated that they were shortscale and due for release in April.

They are selling the ones used at the open day as prototypes through Reverb. I bought the pink one and it is definitely the one in Ashdown's photo as there are a few tell tale marks such as a piece of scratchplate swarf attached to a certain screw. It's definitely 34".

I don't mind as I prefer a 34", just fancied another shorty. 

It would appear it's just a range of new colours, and possibly roasted necks (if they weren't an option before) being released in April. 

The good news is that this is a standard The Saint bass which retail for around £1000, I only paid £299.

😁👍

• Like 1

Yes, Ibanez AGB205 artcore. I have been after one for ages but they are hard to find in 5 strings and when they do turn up they have a tendency to be pricy. Would have prefered the vintage one they do, pre-dinked, but this is good, and certainly looks nice.

Picked it up this afternoon, haven't spent much time with it yet!

1 hour ago, Maude said:

On their Facebook page they had the picture of the pink 'The Saint' bass at their open day/weekend. In reply to a few questions Mark Gooday had stated that they were shortscale and due for release in April.

They are selling the ones used at the open day as prototypes through Reverb. I bought the pink one and it is definitely the one in Ashdown's photo as there are a few tell tale marks such as a piece of scratchplate swarf attached to a certain screw. It's definitely 34".

I don't mind as I prefer a 34", just fancied another shorty. 

It would appear it's just a range of new colours, and possibly roasted necks (if they weren't an option before) being released in April. 

The good news is that this is a standard The Saint bass which retail for around £1000, I only paid £299.

😁👍

Ah right thanks. I've just seen the thread on Facebook and see what you mean now. 

Just flicking through the Bass Direct website and they have a used Mensinger Cazpar 4p 30” with twin Delano SBCs for £799. Beautiful looking with an olive wood top and what looks like a maple fretboard, although the description says Ebony. That sounds quite a good price to me but others may know otherwise. Fortunately, I don’t need it and can’t afford it…. Really, I don’t need it and can’t afford it. Might be of interest to somebody on here though (I have no connection to Bass Direct).

Edited by Obrienp
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Saw a "pj" mustang the other day. Seems wrong although a PJ Jaguar is fine...

I think it's because they have to get rid of the Mustang bridge to get the jazz pickup in the right place. Throws the whole design out (in my opinion).

The American performer is a bit better, but the bridge is too angular. 

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

TBH for me, the P bass pickup seems wrong in the mustang, its too big and dominating. So I guess the PJ is wrong as both of the pickups are too big. if the j had rounded ends like the mustang pickup it would probably work

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

TBH for me, the P bass pickup seems wrong in the mustang, its too big and dominating. So I guess the PJ is wrong as both of the pickups are too big. if the j had rounded ends like the mustang pickup it would probably work

It’s growing on me, but I know exactly where you guys are coming from. The American Performer could benefit from a rounder bridge pickup, to make it easier on the eye too IMO, maybe a ‘51 P style one?

Edited by ezbass

3 hours ago, Adee said:

I put a solid jazz pup cover on my Performer and think it blends in and looks a lot better in my opinion…

19A733DF-C53E-4CF7-B9B2-E533EDF8951E.thumb.jpeg.14ee0c5b2068d86416a0d38ead095229.jpeg

I was wondering about this mod myself today. Yeah, that works, that really works. Now I want one! 

Lobster has just posted the first of his mod videos for the new Harley Benton PJ Mustang style bass, this mod allows you to solo the P pickup without needing to undertake any major surgery, just adding a new pot that a quick look online suggests will cost you around £15.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1