Why become a member? ×

I'm loving my cheap shorty so much it has become the first bass I grab.

The long scale instruments seem so cumbersome now.

I think I'm converting to being a short scale player simply by habit. I need to do a few gigs with the shorty and then see whether I keep the long scale ones. 

I also seem to be swapping more to Precision types rather than Jazz.

Getting old is really sad. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

Are there any short scale 6 string basses? Like a proper 6 string bass tuned B, E, A, D, G, C but short scale?

Bass Direct have a 32” Mensinger Cazpar 6 string. I am sure you can order a 30” version on the Public Peace website, or via BD.

6 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Bass Direct have a 32” Mensinger Cazpar 6 string. I am sure you can order a 30” version on the Public Peace website, or via BD.

Sadly, even at it's most basic, a 30" Cazpar would still likely end up over £1700.

28 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ooh, more colours (Thomann don't have them all listed under short scale).

https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=Harley Benton MV-4MSB Gotoh &smcs=57032f_905

I'd love to try one. I'm so sensitive to bass weights (injuries etc) that I won't buy anymore without knowing the exact weight of the one I'm getting.

Thomann will weigh an expensive bassm but understandably they won't get a bunch of cheap ones out searching for a special one.

Still - give it a year and they might start showing up used for about £125!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 3below said:

I am having the frets out of that asap, solves my need/want for a short scale fretless.   Not using roundwounds so the board being laurel would not be an issue.

Laurel is considerably harder than Hard Maple though and very verry close to being as hard as Rosewood (and about as stiff as Hard Maple): https://www.wood-database.com/indian-laurel/

Hard Maple: https://www.wood-database.com/hard-maple/

Indian Rosewood (which is the kind of Rosewood used as the fretboard for most basses and guitars, Brazilian Rosewood being rarely used, but also only slightly harder): https://www.wood-database.com/east-indian-rosewood/

Also I think I need to get this bass, but I'll wait till they Thomann get more color combinations available, the sunburst one looks surprisingly amazing: https://harleybenton.com/product/mv-4msb-gotoh-sb/

Edit!!: Ah, Thomann does have them all available, overlooked this :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2022 at 18:12, JohnDaBass said:

Dam fine looking bass. Am I correct that there is no Pup selector switch?

Love the black version

Yeah, the absence of a selector switch isn’t ideal, but that’s a budget instrument for you I guess. That said, it’s a weird one to not have vvt controls at the very least.

The black one does look tidy though, and more so if it had a black scratchplate on it.

• Like 1

Gave my JMJ Mustang it's first run outdoors since I changed flats for rounds.  I was unsure it was a good move based on 'headphone' playing but I was well impressed with the punch and growl I got on stage.  Really does continue to surprise me how great this lil' blue monster is.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Gave my JMJ Mustang it's first run outdoors since I changed flats for rounds.  I was unsure it was a good move based on 'headphone' playing but I was well impressed with the punch and growl I got on stage.  Really does continue to surprise me how great this lil' blue monster is.

I found exactly the same thing with my JMJ, it sounded a lifeless and lackluster with flats but really came alive with rounds, it just sounds bigger, clearer and way more versatile. 

• Like 2

On 29/11/2022 at 09:31, cheddatom said:

Just tried to buy it but it's discontinued :(

I don't think it is discontinued, just sold out.

Though I might be wrong.

Rondo Music seems to sell them any now and then.

Like getting a batch home in one finish, then sell out, and then after some months they get a new batch up for sale in a different finish.

I just think this might be how Brice produce these, which kind of makes sense, since I figure it would pretty much be a niche instrument.

Strongly considering getting one at some point too, so I keep an eye on Rondo Music's homepage frequently.

A shame I missed the purple one though, but didn't have the money at the time to get one.

Hopefully the next one will be black and I'll have the money while they are still in stock.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1