Why become a member? ×

The relic refuge

Geek99

39 minutes ago, Jonse said:

Not my bass but looks good to me! Road worn necks are ace. 

2019-05-01 22.42.38.jpg

I've seen that one before in my many googlings. It looks good, but it may be because of the 70s-style decal. Although it's not going to be vintage-accurate, in my head Burgundy Mist is a 60s colour so needs a rosewood fretboard. If they'd not switched to Pau Ferro, I'd have considered a road worn Jazz neck. I suppose I could always have a new logo applied to the 50s neck for the correct look.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently got this nice 2010 US Fender Jazz 5. It's not in bad condition but has various little marks showing 12 years of playing and gigs, the marks are only noticeable up close but are enough that it couldn't be sold on as a mint condition Bass for people that are interested in that type of thing. 

I'm thinking it's quite a good candidate for getting relic'd as it's not old enough to be vintage and isn't in mint condition (there are enough little dents and scuffs that fixing them all isn't going to be worthwhile) so I'm hopefully not likely to be de-valuing it much if I wear a sand paper suit when I play it! In fact, new relic'd Basses seem to cost considerably more than their non-relic'd counterparts nowadays so it might even add value if done well. I don't have plans to sell it on anyway.

What do y'all reckon: relic or not? 

It's got the thick glossy type of finish that'll never naturally just wear away - it'll sort of crack and get dents.

20220112_165926.jpg

20220112_164905.jpg

Edited by SumOne

9 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I recently got this nice 2010 US Fender Jazz 5. Its not in bad condition but has various little marks showing 12 years of play, they're only noticeable up close but are enough that it couldn't be sold on as a mint condition Bass for people that are interested in that type of thing. 

I'm thinking it's quite a good candidate for getting relic'd as it's not old enough to be vintage and not in condition to be mint (and there are enough little dents and scuffs that fixing them all isn't going to be worthwhile) so I'm not likely to be de-valuing it much if I wear a sand paper suit when I play it!

What do y'all reckon: relic or not? 

It's got the thick glossy type of finish that'll never naturally just wear away - it'll sort of crack and get dents.

20220112_165926.jpg

20220112_164905.jpg

Mine was poly too - see first pages 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I owned 2003. Fender refinished road worn and self made finish details jazz bass. Here it is. Last year i decide to ask my luthier to refinish it the same black, but to look new. Can't put the other picture because i at work. I like both. Just thought to change the look.

jazz_bass.jpg

Thanks Lefty, that's much appreciated. I spent a lot of time looking at real old basses and guitars to see the pattern of genuine wear and damage. 

I'm going to build another to sell. A bit of a self financing hobby rather than a genuine side hustle. Just getting the bits slowly together.

Edited by Bassfinger
Typos
  • Like 1