Why become a member? ×

The relic refuge

Geek99

On 20/06/2020 at 17:06, stewblack said:

Thoroughly enjoying this, can't contribute directly as I have never deliberately relic'd. 

However I have owned a bass since 1983. I thought it might be of interest to see some of the effects of time, you never know - could inspire someone. 

First up the gaffa tape residue. Now a part of the bass! 

IMG_20200620_165211.thumb.jpg.810f9ae8c6769de25663a4f9f24d1a7d.jpg

Never seen anyone try to create this. 

I’m glad you’re enjoying 

can anyone explain the vinagar fumes aging thing ? I generally leave anything metal untouched so the bass works perfectly but looks old to joe punter 

I'd love to relic my 5 string sunburst precision but it's my number one and like an extension of me so I'd be terrified that I'd ruin it - especially as its a fairly thick polyurethane finish so I imagine it would really need to be completely stripped and refinished first which, for sunburst, would really need to be done by a professional. 

IMG_20200728_104446.jpg

Edited by Painy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Just go gentle with 0000 wire wool - start somewhere unimportant, maybe belt buckle area or under the ashtray so it can be hidden and see how it goes

That's an idea. Maybe even experiment under the pickguard. 🤔

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Painy said:

That's an idea. Maybe even experiment under the pickguard. 🤔

Perfect-doesn’t require mass dissembledness - I often do mine whilst I am sat either reading/listening/watching stuff.

You can use harsher materials, maybe 000 wire wool, or some form of sandpaper (i’d day 400 grit minimum and above and finer) and see what happens and what works for you.

It may just be dulling some areas Which are more regularly brushed against so you get a shiny/dull contrast is enough relic for you 

It’s time consuming, but when done ok it’s worth it

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

Latest one I have done - body was shaped from a block of ash from the start.

Loads of imperfections everywhere, so I started a relic from the start of it makes sense, didn’t completely and properly sand/grain fill. You’ll see the odd knock in the photo, but after painting as I transport it around, I didn’t use kid gloves, but I wasn’t brutal, some were accidents like the soldering iron hitting it as wiring up, I suppose that is genuine mojo?!

Neck sanded back and then tinted grain filler.3D87F2B3-19BA-4DBB-A7D8-AD24755810BC.thumb.jpeg.835cfc4abc4635cd51c50d499e0ed42f.jpegE1BD0C02-9772-4E80-A3A0-1B9D2E90C7E4.thumb.jpeg.1a10da95d55d53fd44311054056ec453.jpeg1BC4B805-92CE-46CD-9A78-F94242BB8235.thumb.jpeg.84f30be5cfa5f8b058a2a1b0fcc464b8.jpeg

I'm just curious, question here for owners of NEW basses that have been knocked about a bit for relicing purposes, do you actually take care of the basses and treat them akin to pristine instruments or do you knock them about a bit to add your own mark?

My old Aria Primary dates back to 1978... it's in shocking condition; every time I take it out I try and put another ding in it somewhere.  Never put it in a case/bag, but obviously I do protect the knobs/machines.

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm just curious, question here for owners of NEW basses that have been knocked about a bit for relicing purposes, do you actually take care of the basses and treat them akin to pristine instruments or do you knock them about a bit to add your own mark?

My old Aria Primary dates back to 1978... it's in shocking condition; every time I take it out I try and put another ding in it somewhere.  Never put it in a case/bag, but obviously I do protect the knobs/machines.

In between the 2 - I don’t try and bash it, and am careful esp about neck and tuning pegs etc, I would never want it to fall, but if it gets a clip - then so be it.

When I am popping a ‘relic’ together I abuse the body a bit, but I haven’t got it bolted together at that stage, once it’s all connected, as above, I don’t want electrics etc either coming loose

I own a Fender Road Worn Jazz bass. I like it but, although the headstock has a few superficial knocks on it, the neck itself is pristine. I would have liked it to have had some signs of wear. I wonder why they didn't give it a quick going over with some wire wool or something.

8 minutes ago, gjones said:

I own a Fender Road Worn Jazz bass. I like it but, although the headstock has a few superficial knocks on it, the neck itself is pristine. I would have liked it to have had some signs of wear. I wonder why they didn't give it a quick going over with some wire wool or something.

Agreed - but I say go for it!

11 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's incomprehensible to me, as is buying pre-ripped jeans or 'street-rat' motorbikes. The other extreme of car 'detailing' is also foreign to me; am I a Bad Person after all..? :/

Yes you are bad, a very naughty man, it therefore surprises me not you cannot comprehend. Once you see the light and become good, then you shall be enlightened - we can act as your guide 

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Haha 1

My biggest regret was painting an old Status bass that had been with me through the 90's and early 2000's. I had gigged it over literally hundreds of gigs and it bore the scars of such a journey. Obviously it didn't age the same as old 60's or 70's basses as it had modern lacquer on it but it still looked very road worn. Now I can't get the paint off it and am so disappointed.

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It's incomprehensible to me, as is buying pre-ripped jeans or 'street-rat' motorbikes... 

am I a Bad Person after all..? :/

You're not a Bad Person, you're just In The Wrong Thread :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is my Sandberg California. I think they make the best relics. When I first laid eyes on it I asked the guy who I bought it off if it was real. I never knew they could be faked as realistically. The attention to detail is incredible. 

5D9E380B-EA8D-4E00-B2E6-174BEAF205AE.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

If I can find up close pics I'll put them up... I wasn't brave enough to do a full relic but I had an MIM Jazz that I deliberately went about "aging" in my own way:

Chrome pickup covers. Simple to age them, just never put the bass in a case. A big flake came off the bridge cover near the F which looked better than any chemical pitting I could have tried. 

Neck. This was played and played... But in fitting new tuners I accidentally drilled all the way though the headstock once. That stayed. There was a few dents in the end of the neck from bashing in to guitarists and drummers. Again, no case. No cleaning the back of the neck to let sweat take its course, but the thick poly type coating was tough to stain. 

Body. Dragging the strings against the body when removing them took the burgundy down to grey. In one rehearsal a guitarist and I got a bit too angry with somebody and in a fit of noise I was smashing my bass bottom strap button first in to the floor. Big flakes of poly and paint came off to reveal naked wood. So every now and then I picked at that a bit more. I think the bass had been owned by someone who must have played with a stud bracelet on or something, it was scratched to hell, wish I'd sanded through that to the wood. 

Pickguard. I put on a black Pickguard but when I fitted new pickups it needed some fettling. I didn't have good tools, just some wood files so made a right pigs ear of it, which looked pretty good IMO. 

I'm up for buying a Chinese ebay body and neck and having a relic P, would be fun. 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 18:11, NancyJohnson said:

I have this.  Aria Primary Bass, 1978.

The bass was in pretty poor condition when I bought it, but it had Schallers fitted, although beyond that is was just a body and neck.  Everything that's screwed into the body is new.  I just decided that every time I took it out of the house I needed to put a ding in it.  It's way worse than this now.

20190516_194721.thumb.jpg.a92c4c22627e679a7559b373c5fe06cb.jpg

If you ever came to sell that ....

On 15/06/2020 at 13:56, Bill Wy,Aye,Man said:

If you've seen the actual Rory Galagher guitar you would see they are almost identical, but the original has lost more finish since the re-issue was launched

How ? Yer man is very dead 

6 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I agree - I removed the shine from appropriate areas, rolled the edges and chipped some varnish off some end grain 

it’s enough 

I hate seeing a fingerboard that looks like it's had a row of spuds planted in it then removed, same with the back of the neck. Makes me wonder how uncomfortable it is to play. Just taking off some shine, a few chips off the headstock and logo is sufficient. 

I picked up this beautiful Squier Affinity Strat on my birthday a couple of years ago at a pawn shop for $60US. Burgundy. Immaculate. I wanted 5 springs on the whammy bar, picked two up@ my fav guitar shop went home took the back plate off and promptly scratched the back with an errant screwdriver. Does this count?