Why become a member? ×

Lockdown has affected my bass taste

la bam

Hi all, 

From as far back as I can remember until the start of the lockdown I've always liked tasteful basses. Strictly safe style. Sunburst, White, Black, Natural, Tobacco burst etc.... Hardware - strictly shiny silver or gold. Pickguard strictly white or black.

But now.....I dont know if it's a consequence of the lockdown but I now absolutely love crazy coloured basses! Bright, loud, colourful - combined with colours that shouldnt really go together etc - what's going on?!

I've recently got a sparkly placid blue jazz, and a pink/purple jazz too..... but now I'm loving the look of the new fender player in this colour! 

Anyone else lost all their sense of taste and style?!

362743-Electron Green Precision 3.jpg

362740-Electron Green Precision Hero.jpg

• Like 3

I've gone the other way. I used to love way out guitars and basses (I had several GUS carbon and chrome ones in the past in purple or metallic green). Now I've a sunburst PJ with tort pickguard. It'll be cardigans and slippers next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a blue flower Tele, a pink paisley 51 reissue P bass and green vintnera P on my eBay watch list. 
Normally plain wood P’s for me. 
I think you may have stumbled on an unexpected side effect. 
I wonder if I can use it to justify buying the above “sorry love, it’s a medical condition”, (although the judge said I can’t use that sentence anymore...)

I don't like red basses or white scratchplates, especially if they're pearloid. Also never really liked the look of Stingrays. Can't explain it but there you go. 

I'm in the middle of building a Red Stingray style bass and I've almost talked myself into buying a white pearloid scratchplate. 

What is happening? 🙂

• Haha 2