Why become a member? ×

Ashdown vs Little Mark II

mickcope

[quote name='Linus27' post='478243' date='May 3 2009, 02:45 PM']I went to our local shop today with Stingray in hand to try out the Markbass Little Mark II. I ran it through the Markbass 4 x 10 as I wanted to hear this also. At first I thought it sounded pretty good. However, I quickly found that it only sounded good on one setting which was with the VLE turned on and everything else flat. Any other setting just made it sound horrible.

I then tried tried the Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II head through the ABM 4 x 10 and it sounded so much better. Clearer, sharper, with so much more adjustment.

So for me and my sound, the Ashdown wins handsdown. I just wish it weighed less as I had high hopes for the Markbass stuff and hoped it would be good enough.[/quote]

+1 Ive tried on a couple of occassions to get what I class as 'my tone' out of a Markbass and just never been able to do it, always wondered how much the gimmick factor helps them and if they were the size of a regular Ampeg/Ashdown they would still be so popular. . .

Best way to start playing with a Markbass is to turn the EQ flat but have both the VLE and VPF off. Then dial in a smudge of VLE if you want to take away some treble zing. The midscooping VPF might sound ok by itself but will bury your tone in a band mix, so go easy on it - I can't believe somebody earlier suggested you get the best sound by turning it up to full! A lot of people try these amps out with all knobs including the filters at noon, which isn't getting the best sound out of the amp.

I find some of the apparently uniformed negative comments re the LM II a bit narrow and perhaps 'anti' for the sake of it. i.e. find something popular and then knock it down a bit.

Bass gear is a bit of a fashion business/a search for that ultimate tone (does it exist) and I know many folks who have owned a LM II in their 'Grail quest'. I don't know anyone who has owned one and regretted it, some even move on and then come back to it later on. The same sadly cannot be said for Ashdown heads which have their followers but many detractors too. I always run my amp EQ flat and use the filters (never both together) to get my desired tone. Running both filters together seems strange to me as why fill and scoop the mids at the same time? Fairly obviously the cabs make a huge difference too as does the bass. In fact with an ACG pre amp most of my tone shaping is done 'onboard'. The GS112 Aguilars are great with the LM II and the filter can be used to fill the mids on these slightly mid scooped cabs for cutting through.

But, I must confess I've never tried an Ashdown rig - I don't need to as I'm totally happy with what I've got :)

The Little Mark 2 I had was the best bit of bass kit I've owned by a country mile. Amazing engineering, for something so loud to be so light, and it was built like a tank. The only critique I have is the EQ was a bit lacking for me - it had plenty of cut and boost, and it could push out some serious lows, but some kind of parametric mid would have been nice as I never got the low mids quite how I like them without an external EQ. Purely a personal opinion on the voicing, though, as I'm more a fan of the Ampegs of the world in terms of sound over the likes of EBS.

Edited by Wil

I played markbass for a long time before they appeared for sale over here in the uk.

They're great flexible amps overall but there was always something a bit too polite about the tone. Not enough weight to the sound imo.

When mine blew up I wasn't bothered with getting it fixed as i'd decided not go down that route again...and opted for some all valve action. The difference is like night and day. My bottom end came back! I think I would use one as a back up but thats about it.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='480625' date='May 6 2009, 07:51 AM']I find some of the apparently uniformed negative comments re the LM II a bit narrow and perhaps 'anti' for the sake of it. i.e. find something popular and then knock it down a bit.

Bass gear is a bit of a fashion business/a search for that ultimate tone (does it exist) and I know many folks who have owned a LM II in their 'Grail quest'. I don't know anyone who has owned one and regretted it, some even move on and then come back to it later on. The same sadly cannot be said for Ashdown heads which have their followers but many detractors too. I always run my amp EQ flat and use the filters (never both together) to get my desired tone. Running both filters together seems strange to me as why fill and scoop the mids at the same time? Fairly obviously the cabs make a huge difference too as does the bass. In fact with an ACG pre amp most of my tone shaping is done 'onboard'. The GS112 Aguilars are great with the LM II and the filter can be used to fill the mids on these slightly mid scooped cabs for cutting through.

But, I must confess I've never tried an Ashdown rig - I don't need to as I'm totally happy with what I've got :)[/quote]
you are right what you say about knocking something popular thats why ashdown gets knocked on here!i have not tried markbass or actually heard one so im not going to offer an opinion on their sound,but no one regretted buying a markbass?thats a brave statement to make :rolleyes:

[quote name='Wil' post='480663' date='May 6 2009, 09:11 AM']The Little Mark 2 I had was the best bit of bass kit I've owned by a country mile. Amazing engineering, for something so loud to be so light, and it was built like a tank. The only critique I have is the EQ was a bit lacking for me - it had plenty of cut and boost, and it could push out some serious lows, but some kind of parametric mid would have been nice as I never got the low mids quite how I like them without an external EQ. Purely a personal opinion on the voicing, though, as I'm more a fan of the Ampegs of the world in terms of sound over the likes of EBS.[/quote]

I've never owned a LMII but I have the SA450 which has the extra mid-range shaping and it's great. However, a lot of the time I tend to run it flat and do the shaping on my Sterling as the amp is amazingly receptive to the tiniest of onboard tweaks.

I've owned an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II head and my only criticism is that I always felt I could never quite get the tight tone I was looking for. I think it's probably a great head for straight rock music but I couldn't get a good defined, more up front sound out of it.

The SA450 enables me to have that great modern bright and zingy bass tone I hear in my head but will also give the more vintage tones if needed with the turn of a dial. I've found it's been great for pretty much any style of music I've played.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='480625' date='May 6 2009, 07:51 AM']I find some of the apparently uniformed negative comments re the LM II a bit narrow and perhaps 'anti' for the sake of it.[/quote]

Bit like people slagging off Ashdown in every other thread :)

[quote name='phatbass787' post='480398' date='May 5 2009, 09:20 PM']always wondered how much the gimmick factor helps them and if they were the size of a regular Ampeg/Ashdown they would still be so popular. . .[/quote]

What's the gimmick factor?...the size? IMO, a high powered, lightweight, portable solution for a travelling bassist, with plenty of satisfied users, doesn't strike me as a gimmick...maybe if it was rubbish, or it had some completely pointless features.

I guess I am biased though, as I am really pleased with my Little Mark II! :)

The tonal differences seem to divide opinions the most - some people don't get on with Mark Bass at all, some don't get on with Ashdown.

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='481355' date='May 6 2009, 07:44 PM']The tonal differences seem to divide opinions the most - some people don't get on with Mark Bass at all, some don't get on with Ashdown.[/quote]

I think thats the bottom line here. With all amps, you either like how they sound or you don't.

I loved my Ashdown MAG300 (with 2cabs) but replaced it with my LMII which I love even more as it still amplifies the tone from my fingers, but is smaller, lighter and now gets seriously loud (eaily loud enough for the largest pub gig) with a single cab - the Schroder 1212L. I'm happy running the LMII more or less flat - it sounds great in a most venues I played without any tweaking.

I believe the LMK my mate bought used was originally bought by someone who was looking to replace his Ashdown; ultimately he returned it and got his Ashdown back. I also know of someone else who also went the Markbass route only to return to Ashdown.

FWIW I have no real bias either way (although I vastly prefer how Ashdown look). I haven't yet managed to get Markbass working how I like, but when I try the LMK through my cab if it works I'll be happy to replace the Ashdown. If I prefer the Ashdown that'll stay, simple as. More of an issue will be if the LMK (or an LMII) does a similar job to my Epifani, because at the moment that's in a kind of half-way house and if I can get something lighter that does a similar job I'll be happy to let that go.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='480625' date='May 6 2009, 07:51 AM']I always run my amp EQ flat and use the filters (never both together) to get my desired tone. Running both filters together seems strange to me as why fill and scoop the mids at the same time? Fairly obviously the cabs make a huge difference too as does the bass. In fact with an ACG pre amp most of my tone shaping is done 'onboard'. The GS112 Aguilars are great with the LM II and the filter can be used to fill the mids on these slightly mid scooped cabs for cutting through.[/quote]

My understanding of the filters is:

VPF... Scoops the mids centred at 380 and boosts the lows and highs.
VLE... Cuts frequencies above 250

So both can be used (in moderation.... or not!) and they wont be fighting each other.

Horses for courses innit. I've gigged extensively with an LMII and it did the job right every time. If I had to settle down with one amp and no other, it'd be the LMII regardless of cost.

I've always been Ashdown curious and when my soul band fell apart, I joined a blues band so I thought why not and bought an Ashdown ABM RC EVOII 575. I absolutely love the tone I get out of it with my Sadowsky and it's absolutely perfect for blues.

The only down side to it is I don't trust it so I've had to buy a second head as a back up (Hartke HA3500) which is a bit of a nuisance but forget all that bloody nonsense about Ashdown being "dull" and "muddy", my bass finally sounds like a bass with the Ashdown and the bottom end of the band is fuller and fatter than it's ever been. It's very punchy too but anyone wanting a hi-fi sound or the "slap tone to die for" that is often quoted better look elsewhere.

Like I said, horses for courses. :)

[quote name='Mr.T' post='481515' date='May 6 2009, 11:28 PM']My understanding of the filters is:

VPF... Scoops the mids centred at 380 and boosts the lows and highs.
VLE... Cuts frequencies above 250

So both can be used (in moderation.... or not!) and they wont be fighting each other.[/quote]

Thanks for that, my ignorance.

Really, no sarcasm :)

Edited to add:

[quote]frequency range 250Hz 20kHz (cut)[/quote]

So perhaps the VLE is a cut high and low after all. It may make my comment relevant? Having combined 'smiley' and 'frowney' EQ's would seem a bit pointless.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Hi Peter,

The VLE definately doesn't cut bass.
It starts to cut at 250hz (low mids) and carries on cutting all the way up to the top (20mhz).... in a slope.
The more VLE that is applied the steeper the slope.

So, if both VLE and VPF are used together the effect would be a 'smiley' face with the left side of the smile being higher than the right.
(Hope that makes sense).

Can someone explain me how the VLE works, actually?

Is it a shelving filter or more of a very, very wide peaking filter (as in with a very large Q)?

Anyway, I never understood MB's choice, since the VPF scoops the sound at 380Hz (while boosting everything around it), but the Low Mid filter is centered somewhere very close to that. I'd have thought a frequency between low mids and high mids would have been a more obvious choice.

The reason its different is because its a shelving eq with a fixed db reduction that you sweep the frequency of.

That is different from (most) passive tone controls (at least as described to me at college) as they tend to be a very wide bell that you apply more and more cut to such that the bell effects a wider and wider range of frequencies, but the center freq gets massively more cut (even though that center freq may be as high as 20KHz)

Not sure how different the perception of the two is, although the VLE to my ears does tend to leave more detail in than my 4 string's passive tone control, that bad boy will send the brightest strings straight to tonal mushville without any probs....

I'm more than happy to be told I am misinformed re passive tone controls though, this is merely what I have been led to believe....

This has been really useful. I returned my brand new LM II broken from brand spanking new and during the 4 months (I jest ye not) that The Bass Centre took to repair it they lost the manual.

The amp had a simple power supply fault and has been fine in the subsequent years.

The Bass Centre didn't just lose the manual, they also lost any hope of further custom from me :)

Edited by GreeneKing

I owned an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II RC amp for several years. I loved the tone and thought I'd found theeeee amp.
Then, for some stupid reason I was struck with GAS and sold up for an Ampeg SVT-3 PRO as I'd always thought I'd like the sound and features. Pile of poo !
Instead of buying another Ashdown curiosity got the better of me and I went for a Markbass SA450. I'm glad I did. I can dial in the Ashdown sound that I loved but it's just got a bit more punch and clarity. The guys in the band like it too which always helps.

So, my opinion is Markbass but there's nowt much wrong with Ashdown either.