Why become a member? ×

Ashdown vs Little Mark II

mickcope

Ashdown make some nice amps, and the guys at Ashdown are really helpful. You can get a nice sound from an Ashdown but I personally don't like the mix of rotary and slider EQ. There are also well documented QC issues with several of their products.

The LMII can also be really warm, I like the simple EQ, they're much lighter and their QC is very good.

For me it's a no-brainer ;)

Aye I think Ashdowns QC is all good now and has been for some time, never had any issues with any of the gear I've used - have Markbass even been going long enough to haven a proven history? ;-) I think you should have a listen and let your ears decide - if weight is an issue have you had a look at the Little Giants?

[quote name='phatbass787' post='421326' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:03 PM']Aye I think Ashdowns QC is all good now and has been for some time, never had any issues with any of the gear I've used - have Markbass even been going long enough to haven a proven history? ;-) I think you should have a listen and let your ears decide - if weight is an issue have you had a look at the Little Giants?[/quote]

Yea - I wanted to try the little giant out as well - any throughts welcome as well on these

cheers

mick

Having been the proud owner of both brands, I currently use Markbass! The Ashdown sounded great, I'm not saying it wasn't a brilliant amp, but the Markbass has some serious punch and cuts through the mix great. I have the 2x10 wedge combo that kicks back at a 45 degree angle so you can hear it better onstage - it works an absolute treat! And nobody else on stage complains that you're too loud either, it just projects the sound in the right direction. You have the option of not leaning it back also, just helps for preference!

I had an Ashdown MAG 210 combo before, and it weighed a noticeable amount more than the Markbass. If you suffer from back problems, I would advise against it, maybe go for a separate head and cab of whichever amp you decide on.

I was a little iffy about spending £700 on a 2x10, but after trying it out, I had to have it!

Both amps had exactly the same speaker layout, 2x10 and a tweeter. Both were also 300 watts. While the ashdown had a very wooly sound, the Markbass's two filters make it possible to get from the most oldskool bass tone, right up to the deep and mid-scooped Ampeg SVT type sound. The Markbass has a LOT of cojones for such a small and light amp, yes I'm preaching about it because it's served me well! After lugging around a Trace Elliot stack for two years, it made me appreciate the noise to weight ratio!

A great all-round tone is to have the VPF (Variable Preshape Filter - midscoop) on nearly full, then dial in some VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator - almost like a passive tone roll off) until it softens the sound a little. I haven't struggled to get any kind of tone out of the Markbass, it's incredibly versatile.

All in all, the Markbass delivered more volume, punch, tonal diversity and a damn cool colour scheme!

That's from my experiences anyway, hope it can be of some use!

[quote name='Ballie' post='421406' date='Feb 27 2009, 11:14 PM']Having been the proud owner of both brands, I currently use Markbass! The Ashdown sounded great, I'm not saying it wasn't a brilliant amp, but the Markbass has some serious punch and cuts through the mix great. I have the 2x10 wedge combo that kicks back at a 45 degree angle so you can hear it better onstage - it works an absolute treat! And nobody else on stage complains that you're too loud either, it just projects the sound in the right direction. You have the option of not leaning it back also, just helps for preference!

I had an Ashdown MAG 210 combo before, and it weighed a noticeable amount more than the Markbass. If you suffer from back problems, I would advise against it, maybe go for a separate head and cab of whichever amp you decide on.

I was a little iffy about spending £700 on a 2x10, but after trying it out, I had to have it!

Both amps had exactly the same speaker layout, 2x10 and a tweeter. Both were also 300 watts. While the ashdown had a very wooly sound, the Markbass's two filters make it possible to get from the most oldskool bass tone, right up to the deep and mid-scooped Ampeg SVT type sound. The Markbass has a LOT of cojones for such a small and light amp, yes I'm preaching about it because it's served me well! After lugging around a Trace Elliot stack for two years, it made me appreciate the noise to weight ratio!

A great all-round tone is to have the VPF (Variable Preshape Filter - midscoop) on nearly full, then dial in some VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator - almost like a passive tone roll off) until it softens the sound a little. I haven't struggled to get any kind of tone out of the Markbass, it's incredibly versatile.

All in all, the Markbass delivered more volume, punch, tonal diversity and a damn cool colour scheme!

That's from my experiences anyway, hope it can be of some use![/quote]

You could have had 200 extra watts and £50 change buying the ABM210 combo ;)

Wattage isn't necessarily volume, as I said - Markbass, Ashdown and the Trace Elliot rigs I've owned were all 300 Watts. The Markbass with an extension cab is louder than the Trace and Ashdown setups by a flying mile! In fact the 300 watt Markbass is easily on a par with most 500 watt amps volume wise, and the smooth and syrupy midrange punches through the mix extremely well!

Ashdown ABM series do sound great though, quite a dark and wooly sound.

Never had any problems with any of my amps, they were all well kept and maintained properly. I guess I got lucky with the quality of them all too! Reliability of my Markbass has been absolutely fine, seems a very solid and roadworthy amp, very rugged feel about it. Give all the amps a try back to back, then try picking them up and see which one works for you. At the end of the day, personal taste will be the decider!

All the best of luck =]

Edited by Ballie

[quote name='Hamster' post='421287' date='Feb 27 2009, 07:51 PM']Ashdown make some nice amps, and the guys at Ashdown are really helpful. You can get a nice sound from an Ashdown but I personally don't like the mix of rotary and slider EQ. There are also well documented QC issues with several of their products.

The LMII can also be really warm, I like the simple EQ, they're much lighter and their QC is very good.

For me it's a no-brainer :)[/quote]
+1 for me

• 2 months later...

I went to our local shop today with Stingray in hand to try out the Markbass Little Mark II. I ran it through the Markbass 4 x 10 as I wanted to hear this also. At first I thought it sounded pretty good. However, I quickly found that it only sounded good on one setting which was with the VLE turned on and everything else flat. Any other setting just made it sound horrible.

I then tried tried the Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II head through the ABM 4 x 10 and it sounded so much better. Clearer, sharper, with so much more adjustment.

So for me and my sound, the Ashdown wins handsdown. I just wish it weighed less as I had high hopes for the Markbass stuff and hoped it would be good enough.