Why become a member? ×

WAL 5 Geddy Lee Custom

spiritchaser

Hi all,
I'm so happy I let my luthier sand away the battered black Polyester coating from my 1987 WAL 5. It said "stained English olive ash faces" and not Black Polyester, so I guessed its former owner had not liked the olive wood underneath and let Pete Stevens coat it black. Well, I took the risk of letting Rüdiger Ziesemann of Bassline Basses fame sand it down and refinish it with a translucent red - and it looks like new! And - the bass "only" weighs 5 kgs now. It used to weigh 5.5 kgs. Soundwise there isn't any change noticeable.
Well, take a look at the pics ...
Cheers
Oliver

Edited by spiritchaser

[quote name='Stingray5' post='420528' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:06 AM']That's a beaut! Good decision going for the refin.
I'm also just wondering, what strings do you have on there?
I'll hazard a guess and say LaBella flats (black natch!), or maybe even some Rotosound Trusound, or...what? ;)[/quote]

Hi all & cheers for the comments!
I've strung the bass with DR Black Beauties which are a pleasure to play - only flaw is that the colour fades with heavy use of plecs. However, they sound very well and for a long time also.
I've posted some pics of the former paintjob and how it looked like directly after having been sanded down. Also take a look at that monstrous WAL Humbucker. BTW - it wasn't a problem at all getting the electronics out and in again - just a mere plug and play job (apart from soldering the input plug).
Going to gig with this killer tomorrow doing 'An evening with Joy Division' - covers - plus a couple of our own stuff in Cologne, Germany.
Cheers
Oliver

Edited by spiritchaser

;) [i][sound of jaw hitting floor][/i]
Great. Thanks a bunch. Just when I thought I wasn't GASing for anything, you go posting pictures of this
UTTERLY
STUNNING
bass. Any chance of a big & really sharp pic of the body? I want to use it as PC wallpaper.

One of me mates has a 4-string in black poly that was owned [and had a bunch of the poly removed] by some goth band in the 80's. It looks f***ing dreadful at the mo and the edges of the ripped off poly catch yer arm when playing, so he uses his fretless all the time as he's too tight to pay for a strip & refinish. ;) I'll post him a link to this thread...

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='420825' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:49 PM']One of me mates has a 4-string in black poly that was owned [and had a bunch of the poly removed] by some goth band in the 80's. It looks f***ing dreadful at the mo and the edges of the ripped off poly catch yer arm when playing, so he uses his fretless all the time as he's too tight to pay for a strip & refinish. I'll post him a link to this thread...[/quote]

Hi there,
yes - it's really worth it - I paid around 400€ for the refin job which was a real steal. But be sure to check out what's really below the paint (see electronics cavity cover for details) - I know that sometimes the paints only purpose was to hide some faulty piece of wood beneath and sell it anyway ...
I was also pondering on putting some clear coating on the body when I saw that beautiful olive wood, but then there was the problem of the old black poly sticking to the pores of the wood - thus Rüdiger and I decided to give it a new translucent colour. I first thought of blue, but the olive wood'd have been to dark to shine brightly. For that you really need some very nice light maple faces. I feel like I have a new bass now ;)
Cheers
Oliver

Edited by spiritchaser

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='420975' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:02 AM']Hi there,
yes - it's really worth it - I paid around 400€ for the refin job which was a real steal. But be sure to check out what's really below the paint (see electronics cavity cover for details) - I know that sometimes the paints only purpose was to hide some faulty piece of wood beneath and sell it anyway ...
I was also pondering on putting some clear coating on the body when I saw that beautiful olive wood, but then there was the problem of the old black poly sticking to the pores of the wood - thus Rüdiger and I decided to give it a new translucent colour. I first thought of blue, but the olive wood'd have been to dark to shine brightly. For that you really need some very nice light maple faces. I feel like I have a new bass now ;)
Cheers
Oliver[/quote]

Well played! Perfect choice for the refin and you were right to do it. I did the same 20+ years ago but not nearly to the same effect. I was going for trans-white. I really like how deep the red is while still being so translucent. I bet it sounds great too!

dunc