Why become a member? ×

Ingredients for a fretless bass

GreeneKing

Through neck. Probably multi-laminated for stability.
5 String. Tenor Tuning - CGDAE
Active. Ideally at least a 3band EQ. Better still, a sweepable Mid Freq or a Semi Parametric / filter-based pre.
A really hard/ Durable fingerboard; Pau Ferro. Ebony. Phenolic. The Vigier Delta Metal.

Pick-ups? That's harder. I love Precisions for the "simplicity" of their sound. I think that influenced my decision when I bought the SR5. I think single pick-ups convey the fretless character really well.

Trouble is, you lose the flexibility of having 2 pick-ups, and that nasal "honk" from a bridge pick-up. The same conundrum applies to the choice of Humbucker or Single Coil, too! It really does boil down to your own taste.

[quote]I'd go for a Mahogany body with Sycamore facings, a Maple neck with an Ebony fingerboard[/quote]

:angry: Have you been reading my mind?

[quote]Semi Parametric / filter-based pre.[/quote]

:P

[quote]two pickups[/quote]

:huh:

[quote]Trouble is, you lose the flexibility of having 2 pick-ups, and that nasal "honk" from a bridge pick-up.[/quote]

:) Yes I agree

[quote]neck thru would be nice.[/quote]

;)

Piezo bridge?

Peter

Im thinking of building one,but i want to use none of the usual woods,there is loads of trees out there mrs youmas dad is a mad farmer with a chainsaw and has just cut down a big willow tree,other than using it to make great gunpowder for my fireworks i thought about a willow body fretless p bass,any ideas apart from ash?

One I built a while ago....when Q-Tuners were cheap....relatively speaking

Jazz Body in Basswood poly coated
Mighty Mite neck with Ebanol board
Q-Tuner High Z pup
Volume 500k Tone 250k with 0.47uf cap
Schaller 3-D bridge
Neutrik Jack
Boy did it sound good ;)

[attachment=20990:n1137412...979_8880.jpg]

[quote name='Prosebass' post='418033' date='Feb 23 2009, 11:33 PM']One I built a while ago....when Q-Tuners were cheap....relatively speaking

Jazz Body in Basswood poly coated
Mighty Mite neck with Ebanol board
Q-Tuner High Z pup
Volume 500k Tone 250k with 0.47uf cap
Schaller 3-D bridge
Neutrik Jack
Boy did it sound good ;)

[attachment=20990:n1137412...979_8880.jpg][/quote]

I bet it sounded awesome.....nice and simple :P

Been playing fretless for pretty much 30 yrs now, and I really only have 2 “must-have” criteria:
- Fingerboard as hard and level as possible; nothing softer than ebony (ie; not rosewood or maple), my custom “Sabre” has a board in African Blackwood which is the hardest and most even I’ve found. Haven’t tried synthetic or coated ones mind.
- 2 pickups; it’s the combined setting that usually gets that slightly hollow sound.

The most critical factor IMO is the set-up; nut slots filed down to a nano-whisker and action “postage-stamp” low! ;)
The rest is down to personal taste really. Having used actives through the ‘80’s and ‘90’s I’ve definitely come around to preferring passives; more of a natural, woody, acoustic quality, especially through a valve amp set clean; the tone configuration on modern amps is so good anyway. Haven’t tried piezos, would like to!

I'm [b]still [/b]looking for a Travis Bean! :ph34r:

Edited by Shaggy

I think its possible to go for at least three different characters on a fretless. One is the bright singing tone on Pedullas, there's a double bass type sound you get from Ashborys, Godins etc and the final is a warm woody tone typical of Wals, Smiths and others.

Each have different design characteristics depending on what you're aiming for. Personally I love the Pedulla sound but I also like the Godin fretlesses I've tried too (couldn't justify one with my playing though).

• 2 months later...

i have found fretless perfection in five forms so far.

a lovely 79 stingray with a rosewood board that thankfully is mine :)

the second is a friends 6 string fretless wal mkIII 6 with a walnut top that sounds amazing

an 81 ibanez roadster with a coated maple fingerboard which again sounds amazing with a lovely glassy top end

an acoustic bass made by martin with flat wounds, with your eyes closed you would swear it was an upright

and the 4th is a pedulla 4 string buzz bass which had such a cool tone.

still for me the best fretless sound for me is the stingray, i love it to pieces.

Well if it was me, I'd go for a chambered mahogany body and a 5 piece laminated maple (3x) and mahogany (2x) with graphite reinforcing and a super thick compound radiussed ebony fingerboard. For pickups I think humbuckers with parallel wired coils with coil switching to allow single coil use, to allow for Wal and Jazz bass sounds, and a preamp with sweepable mid control. But if the bass sounds right then why not keep it passive?

The mahogany will give lots of midrange growl with enough maple to keep the neck from being too seasonally temperamental. The ebony fingerboard will provide some brightness to the top end without it sounding too bright. The fingerboard needs to be thick enough again to reduce the flex so that once the fingerboard has been radiussed and flattened under simulated string tension, it will play with super low action given your choice of strings.