Jump to content
pinkflameinthepan

Positioning with strap

Recommended Posts

Hey,

First of all, i’m very new to the bass, so sorry if i mess up any terms and such.

When i sit down with my bass, (guitar) strap on, it sits fine, but only as long as i hold the neck. When i have to play an open G-string for example, i can’t really hold the neck anymore and the neck and headstock just fall down, like the most of the weight of the bass is there instead of te body. Does anyone know how i can have it sit right? i’ve tried fastening or loosening the strap, putting it on the other way around, but with no success.

 

Thanks in advance!

Mavis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are encountering what is called "neck diving".

Many basses (and guitars too) are suffering this common problem, due to really poor conception of the instrument.

You could try to put light weight tuners (machine heads) instead of the original ones. The lighter are the Gotoh Res-O-Lite. But this is an expansive option, so if your bass is an entry model, there is another solution which is to put the upper strap pin away until the bass balances perfectly.

Like this :

main-qimg-cc9acc0664160fa95974687621cae9

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What sort of strap do you have. Perhaps try one that has a bit more 'grip and us less prone to sliding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hellzero is right. Short of paying out for lightweight tuners (which may not solve the issue if the imbalance is really bad), there's relatively little you can do. SD's strap positioning guide helps, as does a grippy strap, but they're not a complete solution. You shouldn't let go of the neck. You refer to having a problem when playing an open string. Are you removing your hand from the neck when doing so? If so, practice playing open strings without removing it completely. As long as your left hand fingers are not in contact with the strings and you are still supporting the neck, it should be fine. It's actually inefficient to completely remove your fretting hand from the neck - you have further for the hand to travel back into position when you need to fret a note.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2020 at 07:47, pinkflameinthepan said:

Hey,

First of all, i’m very new to the bass, so sorry if i mess up any terms and such.

When i sit down with my bass, (guitar) strap on, it sits fine, but only as long as i hold the neck. When i have to play an open G-string for example, i can’t really hold the neck anymore and the neck and headstock just fall down, like the most of the weight of the bass is there instead of te body. Does anyone know how i can have it sit right? i’ve tried fastening or loosening the strap, putting it on the other way around, but with no success.

 

Thanks in advance!

Mavis

 

When you want to play an open G, all you need to do is not fret the G string, but you can (should?) still hold the neck, and probably mute the other strings too. 

It sounds like your bass does not have a good balance (other people have mentioned that, and ways to deal with it, if it bothers you)... but there really isn't a reason to not hold the neck at all just to play an open string.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mcnach said:

 

When you want to play an open G, all you need to do is not fret the G string, but you can (should?) still hold the neck, and probably mute the other strings too. 

It sounds like your bass does not have a good balance (other people have mentioned that, and ways to deal with it, if it bothers you)... but there really isn't a reason to not hold the neck at all just to play an open string.

@pinkflameinthepan The above is very true.

Alternatively if if fits, fret the 5th fret of the D string, same note.

Whilst none of my current kit has a neck dive issue, I use these straps - very grippy but also good for supporting the weight of the bass: https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/bass_guitar_specialists/Comfort_Strapp.html 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, to be fair, when you're sat down playing, you don't need to have the strap on.

As there's no tension on the strap from the weight of the bass, it will slip off your shoulder.

Simple solution... don't use your strap when you're sat down playing. Only use the strap when you stand up & play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2020 at 23:29, Skybone said:

Well, to be fair, when you're sat down playing, you don't need to have the strap on.

As there's no tension on the strap from the weight of the bass, it will slip off your shoulder.

Simple solution... don't use your strap when you're sat down playing. Only use the strap when you stand up & play.

The advice I got when I started was to always play with the strap on, as it in theory means your bass is in the same position whether you are sitting or standing. If you practice a lot with the bass at one angle, then it's different when you play, you'll make a lot of mistakes as a beginner. I never sit to practice. 

+1 for the SBL lesson, and getting a wide strap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2020 at 23:29, Skybone said:

Well, to be fair, when you're sat down playing, you don't need to have the strap on.

As there's no tension on the strap from the weight of the bass, it will slip off your shoulder.

Simple solution... don't use your strap when you're sat down playing. Only use the strap when you stand up & play.

Don’t need as such but it’s good for habit. It wasn’t one I got and I regret it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, the OP hasn't posted since, and has only posted once.

Troll perchance?

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Don’t need as such but it’s good for habit. It wasn’t one I got and I regret it

Must admit, never heard that one. When practicing sat down, I don't use a strap, because it's too long, and will fall down, and become a distraction. That's not to say I have my bass Hooky style low on the strap, but comfortable for me low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never used to , but now I always use a strap when sitting down practicing, which is set at the same height as when im standing , because last year my Sandberg slipped off my tracksuit bottoms and landed on the jack plug , which completely snapped, luckily no damage was done to the bass , I just needed a new lead 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skybone said:

To be fair, the OP hasn't posted since, and has only posted once.

Troll perchance?

Must admit, never heard that one. When practicing sat down, I don't use a strap, because it's too long, and will fall down, and become a distraction. That's not to say I have my bass Hooky style low on the strap, but comfortable for me low.

I mean that I don’t like playing standing up or with a strap and that is a bad thing. Unless you’re in the cowboy junkies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...