Why become a member? ×

Warwick Singlecut

acidbass

Just got an interesting email from Florian at Warwick, didn't even know this was happening until now!

[url="http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php?t=6678"]LINK[/url]

Anyone entered/thinking of entering? My guess is that they'll probably end up with designs looking all quite similar - I mean, how many different singlecut shapes can there be out there? Haven't they all got just one horn? ;)

Sounds like a cool idea on behalf of Warwick anyway, good to see that they're letting their customers have an input into the design of their basses (although I suppose the Custom Shop have been churning out bespoke instruments now for some time!)

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='391833' date='Jan 26 2009, 03:19 PM']Just got an interesting email from Florian at Warwick, didn't even know this was happening until now!

[url="http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php?t=6678"]LINK[/url]

Anyone entered/thinking of entering? My guess is that they'll probably end up with designs looking all quite similar - I mean, how many different singlecut shapes can there be out there? Haven't they all got just one horn? ;)

Sounds like a cool idea on behalf of Warwick anyway, good to see that they're letting their customers have an input into the design of their basses (although I suppose the Custom Shop have been churning out bespoke instruments now for some time!)

Danny[/quote]

Wasn't the Vampyre designed through a similar contest? Not sure whether that's a good precedent or not!

[quote name='simon1964' post='391895' date='Jan 26 2009, 04:48 PM']Wasn't the Vampyre designed through a similar contest? Not sure whether that's a good precedent or not![/quote]
I actually kind of like how the BO vampyre with the oiled black finish looks ;)
Although i think GASing for a vampyre around here is just asking for trouble in light of recent events! :P

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='simon1964' post='391967' date='Jan 26 2009, 05:46 PM']How about that, chambered to reduce weight, and with some sort of Ovation style sound holes on the upper horn?[/quote]

Yum.

But it seems to have 2 strings too many, what's that about? Is it just my eyesight? ;)

• 5 months later...

And the winner is -

[attachment=28534:singlecut1.jpg]

Looks a bit generic to me? Personally I much preferred these designs -

[attachment=28535:singlecut2.jpg]

[attachment=28536:singlecut3.jpg]

I think I might actually have bought one had they won! Oh well, the Warwick playing public have spoken :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='536166' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:02 AM']The bottom two have ACG written all over them imo. Is it just me that sees this?[/quote]

ACG Recurve? Wouldnt be the 1st time warwick have borrowed a design and not given it back [i]*cough*[/i] spector [i]*cough*[/i].

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='536166' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:02 AM']The bottom two have ACG written all over them imo. Is it just me that sees this?[/quote]

tbh Peter most of the designs in that competition looked a lot like other designs (even a bit of handbags over Benavente/ACG designs at one point) but you do have to accept that folks were designing basses to win a competition and that involves appealing to the masses. There are only so many variations on a couple of designs that work (without alienating 75% of the bass buying public) so it was always going to end up looking like something else! :)

True, true John, it just seems to me that some entrants have taken an existing and relatively little known design and basically fed it straight into the competition, particularly the white one at the bottom.

It's such a distinctive shape.

If I'd have known that Warwick were going to release a singlecut shape based on the Thumb then I probably wouldn't have ordered a custom bass last October. Oh well. Secretly I'm hoping that Warwick either ruin it or make it hideously expensive (very likely based on their last price hike).

[quote name='Spartacus' post='536170' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:17 AM']ACG Recurve? Wouldnt be the 1st time warwick have borrowed a design and not given it back [i]*cough*[/i] spector [i]*cough*[/i].[/quote]
Didn't Status come up with the original Buzzard design with J.E.? Witness the original "beaky" headstock which has recently reverted to the usual paddle type.