Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

@Richard R On Friday I told them that I was going to temporarily stand down, on Saturday afternoon they were asking me when I was coming back LOL

They are only asking to try to make me change my mind, I can see through their fake, veiled words.

There's a lot more to the story, I was recently accused of being unapproachable by two other members of the Worship Team, one that I lent a bass to use for the past 3 months and another that I had lent a keyboard to as they didn't have one to practice on, if that's me being unapproachable then I'd rather be unapproachable than a two-faced backstabbing ungrateful c*nt. 

From now on;

• God first, Rich second, everyone else can whistle.
  • Rich is looking after Rich.
  • Rich is doing what's best for Rich.
  • Rich does what Rich wants. 

That should save my sanity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

I can see through their fake, veiled words.

Or you could just put it down to their bumbling incompetence, and acknowledge that they only saw how serious the issue was, once you left. 

You now have the option of talking to them - whether you do so will say more about you, than them.

We had a informal get-together of the church music group members last night.  It was refreshing to sit and chat about what was good about the music side of worship and what we could improve.  Our church has a number of musicians and singers who are on a roster to supply the music on Sundays.  I end up playing bass about once every three weeks and do not often play with the same people each time.  It was an opportunity to meet up over tea and biscuits to chat and listen to new songs that we may be doing over the coming months.  We agreed that the relationship between us all was good and there were no prima donnas amongst us.

When I read about the difficulties that some people have with their music team it makes me sad.  We all get along well and can have a laugh with each other when things go a little awry.  That doesn't mean we don't try to play to the best of our abilities but we do not stress over being human and making the odd mistakes.  Last Christmas (I feel a song coming on!) we were warming up before the service with "While Shepherds Watched".  It didn't sound quite right until we discovered that we had three different versions of it between us!  Playing in the church band is a privilege and we do it to honour God and help the congregation lift their praises to Him.  I do feel that some church musicians need to chill a bit.  It's not about you or your ego it's about God.  Enjoy it.

Edited by LeftyP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LeftyP said:

We had a informal get-together of the church music group members last night.  It was refreshing to sit and chat about what was good about the music side of worship and what we could improve.  Our church has a number of musicians and singers who are on a roster to supply the music on Sundays.  I end up playing bass about once every three weeks and do not often play with the same people each time.  It was an opportunity to meet up over tea and biscuits to chat and listen to new songs that we may be doing over the coming months.  We agreed that the relationship between us all was good and there were no prima donnas amongst us.

When I read about the difficulties that some people have with their music team it makes me sad.  We all get along well and can have a laugh with each other when things go a little awry.  That doesn't mean we don't try to play to the best of our abilities but we do not stress over being human and making the odd mistakes.  Last Christmas (I feel a song coming on!) we were warming up before the service with "While Shepherds Watched".  It didn't sound quite right until we discovered that we had three different versions of it between us!  Playing in the church band is a privilege and we do it to honour God and help the congregation lift their praises to Him.  I do feel that some church musicians need to chill a bit.  It's not about you or your ego it's about God.  Enjoy it.

Couldn’t be better said.

Love the 3 different versions of the same song problem!!

@LeftyP We are due to have a worship team social night on Saturday, it'll be a room full of people only there to grab at free food and drink, pretending to be friends when in truth, they don't care a sh*t about each other.  People who respect each other, support each other and think of each other, they don't continually turn up late, they don't miss rehearsals completely and they do listen to the songs before we turn up to play them.

i also had an issue with different people knowing different versions of one song recently however, I personally sent each and every one of them, a YouTube link with the exact version that I was planning to play that week and do you know what? ...not one of them bothered to watch the link.  I play with a bunch of self-centred time wasters.

On 28/11/2023 at 16:31, Richard R said:

One of our sound engineers fell off a ladder and fractured three back ribs at the weekend.  Just come home, still with industrial pain killers, and won't be doing any bending, stretching of lifting this side of Christmas. ☹️

…….and in other news a couple of weekends back I nearly severed my left thumb with a mitre/chop saw! Grateful to the hospital surgeons

for repairing it. Thankfully other team members are stepping into the  breach, and I’ll play the Moog for some of the Christmas “feature” songs (fortunately I’m right handed)!! . 

• Sad 2

Thanks for asking - not allowed to drive until 7 Jan, and the physio sheet says "light duties" from 8 weeks and "return to normal duties at 12 weeks" which for me is 3rd Feb. I'll have to ask where playing bass fits into that as the info sheet is for "normal" tendon/bone breaks and minet was a complex fracture needing 4 wires/pins (which come out at 8 weeks) and a bone graft - don't want to take any chances. By the end of it I'll be an expert one-handed Moog player! I literally thank God every day, as it could have been much worse......😱

Meanwhile, I'm wearing this contraption 24/7

50BECC48-77A4-499A-9763-FF2740A82126.JPG

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, Owen said:

I have tried this. I can confirm that is it very cool, but at the same time EXTRAORDINARILY niche. It is not commensurate with laying it down.

Which worship songs would you recommend as a starting point for trying this out on?

What slide and strings did you use?

Edited by Richard R