Why become a member? ×

Sellers who stopped communicating (on Facebook)

Rikkers

I wonder how many members here have such an experience.

A couple of weeks ago I traded a fretless Tokai for a Kasuga 4001. On the moment that he received the bass this guy was gone. Coudn't contact him anymore. So I was afraid I got scammed. The Kasuga was stuck at one point. Gladly the shipping company was able to correct this. Otherwise I would have a problem.

Got the bass but there's some structural damage what wasn't adressed by this guy. The fretboard apparently got seperated from the neck which was repaired very poorly. I still have to visit a luthier.

• Sad 1

Unfortunately everyone has differing ideas of how to conduct themselves in a selling/buying situation. Most of the time peoples ideas are pretty similar but every now and then you find yourselves at opposing ends of the scale and have to either suck it up or walk away/move on. It's annoying at the time but worrying about such things will just get you down. I've just finished a two week negotiation with such a person (not a member here AFAIK) and thrown the towel in and admitted defeat, and we weren't even haggling on price. Sometimes it's just not meant to be. 

That said, I've never had any problems with any deal on here. 

45 minutes ago, Rikkers said:

I wonder how many members here have such an experience.

A couple of weeks ago I traded a fretless Tokai for a Kasuga 4001. On the moment that he received the bass this guy was gone. Coudn't contact him anymore. So I was afraid I got scammed. The Kasuga was stuck at one point. Gladly the shipping company was able to correct this. Otherwise I would have a problem.

Got the bass but there's some structural damage what wasn't adressed by this guy. The fretboard apparently got seperated from the neck which was repaired very poorly. I still have to visit a luthier.

It's why we have the feedback forum. If you've tried all reasonable paths to resolve the issue please name and shame, at the very least it stops the same person doing it again to someone else, and might even help you get some compensation 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Beedster said:

It's why we have the feedback forum. If you've tried all reasonable paths to resolve the issue please name and shame, at the very least it stops the same person doing it again to someone else, and might even help you get some compensation 

I've tried everything. It's Nordbard.

I just do collection only or meet in person now which obviously makes things much harder to sell,  but people can see what they are getting and I get cash money. I've just been messed about too many times, sadly on here more than on any other marketplace.People are people !

Edited by edstraker123
  • Like 1

I havent had any actual trouble where I am out of pocket but sometimes people just stop communicating, or communicate so sporadically you figure it is too risky to deal with them if they don't have time to talk to you before the trade, almost certainly they aren't going to talk afterwards.

I know some people aren't actually on the internet that much. that is I know it, I don't understand it :D

This is why I only ever deal face-to-face with instruments, even when I’m selling. It makes buying/selling harder, but at least both parties get to see and try the instrument first of all. There was one instance last year, I was selling a bass, the buyer was going to collect it from my friend’s house; he was buying an instrument from him too. It all went wrong owing to the courier dropping my instrument off later than he should. So I ended up having to pay for two lots of delivery, once to my friend's house, and then back from there to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

OP says "Coudn't contact him anymore". The trader named above was last on the site on Friday so do you mean he has not replied to you since then or does it go back further? People do go away over the holiday period.

He didn't.

• gary mac changed the title to Sellers who stopped communihttps://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/392214-sellers-who-stopped-communicating/cating
20 hours ago, ambient said:

This is why I only ever deal face-to-face with instruments, even when I’m selling. It makes buying/selling harder, but at least both parties get to see and try the instrument first of all. There was one instance last year, I was selling a bass, the buyer was going to collect it from my friend’s house; he was buying an instrument from him too. It all went wrong owing to the courier dropping my instrument off later than he should. So I ended up having to pay for two lots of delivery, once to my friend's house, and then back from there to me.

This. If you're spending proper money on something (which, unless you are buying a beater bass or a cheap amp for, say, a youngster, is the case with instruments) and the seller is not a legit shop/dealer (they must offer guarantees, etc, which gives you some protection), it's crazy not to deal face to face.

Trust is important, but does leave you open to being screwed... I have many a time bought/sold/traded long distance. If the seller or tradee has no feedback I can refer to then I will refer them to my feedback both on Basschat and eBay and insist they either pay upfront, or send me their bass first. I know I'm not going to play silly buggers and if I can't verify how genuine someone is then they have to take the first step or the deal won't happen. 

If they have a fair chunk of reliable feedback, then I'm happy either way. 

Unfortunately though, with all the best will in the world and all due diligence taken, issue can and will arise! 

Previous posts from @NordicBard do appear to suggest they work in the Navy, could be a contributing factor to not responding? 

Hopefully they'll get in touch and it'll all be a misunderstanding, saves them ruining their reputation and no one ever dealing with them again!