Why become a member? ×

I would love to sound the same

Al Krow

....as Carol Kaye, Bootsy or John Paul Jones. 

My one finger doesn't hit the strings like James Jamerson when playing my Yammy PJ, even though I've been reliably told that all P basses (and J basses and indeed all gear) sound the same.

My pedal board doesn't make me sound anything close to Geddy Lee.

(And as for crisps, it's gotta be cheese and onion!)

If you could sound the same as one of your bass heroes who would he or she be? What's your favourite bass line by them?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

If you could sound the same as one of your bass heroes who would he or she be? What's your favourite bass line by them?

As I play in a Grateful Dead tribute band, I'd obviously like to sound more like Phil Lesh. 

He doesn't play a 'line', more just moves around the music, but the closest to a defined 'bass line' could be Estimated Prophet (tricky time sig and a lot of movement up the neck).

• Like 1

I like to sound like myself, it's better this way, methinks.

That said I've always loved the sound of Shri Sriram and his music (yep, another fretless player) :

Edited by Hellzero
I added another track, it's too good

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Wow Frank - have to admit that trying to put a label on the genre of that track isn't immediately obvious! Does it fall under, profound, profane or punctual?!

I would posit that this album (with one or two others) were the precursors of what would become post punk, however, at the time it sounded so totally different from anything else, so different from Lydon’s previous band, that I just thought of it as uncategorisable, or perhaps avant-garde at a stretch. Nothing sounded like it before and nothing as since and it remains, by a country mile, my favourite album. I’d definitely say profound.

• Like 1

Wow, what a great find! ^^^^^^ Must confess I don't know what most of those pedals are...

Here's the same girl playing it at Rough Trade without the studio luxuries:

Core of her awesome clanky sound is still there, but with some authentic bum notes thrown in! 😃

Edited by Ricky 4000

2 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Wow @Al Krow You're a pedal guru! 😎

And you good sir are far too kind!! (Tbf - I just cut and pasted from the same web page that had the photo of her pedal board listed).

Anyway one good turn and all that - after all I owe you big time for introducing me to the sound of Ayse Hassan!

• Thanks 1

But really, I guess I'm in the 60's Soul, R&B, Funk ball park, with a modern Nathan East-ish twist, but I've never thought "I'd like to sound like xxx". Let players influence you but stop short of copying them. Always find your own sound.

I've spent my life trying to pick up all the best lines other players play. If you have a good filter you'll absorb all the licks and they'll come out sounding like you.