Why become a member? ×

14 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

Last weekend I played with IEM in a very small club. My signal chain was:
Bass-->Pedalboard-->Rolls PM351-->Sennheiser XSW. The thing is that my in ears don't isolate that much which hadn't bothered me until last Saturday. I put foam plugs already and I have tried a lot. Do you guys have any tips to improve isolation? The in ears are Sennheiser IE100 in case it helps.

It could well be that the only answer is custom molded plugs.  I had the KZ10, used and liked by many (as the budget option) and I could NOT get used to the fit/isolation, including trying many of the recommended buds/plugs.  I moved to Sennheiser IE100 (your IE) and they were a perfect fit with great isolation, even using the silicone buds that came with it, I had excellent isolation.  I even tried swapping the IE100 silicone buds onto the KZ10 and they were no good (perfect on the Sennheiser).  

In short, the shape and ergonomics of 'some' IE will not fit with some people and it could take lot of experimentation to find the right ones, unless you go custom.  I was lucky that the 2nd pair I tried fit my ear canal shape great.  :/

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

Hello guys!

I have been reading this thread, and I haven't finished, so sorry if you guys have talked about it already (I tried searching for something like this without much luck).

Last weekend I played with IEM in a very small club. My signal chain was:
Bass-->Pedalboard-->Rolls PM351-->Sennheiser XSW. The thing is that my in ears don't isolate that much which hadn't bothered me until last Saturday. I put foam plugs already and I have tried a lot. Do you guys have any tips to improve isolation? The in ears are Sennheiser IE100 in case it helps.

I find that on small stages it feels like my IEM’s aren’t sitting correctly in my ears. I guess there is only so much noise they can reduce. 
I find Comply’s tips help make a better seal, but when I’m standing right next to a drummer there isnt much else i can do. 

i guess its saves setting the ambient mic up 😀

Im using IE400 pro but also found the same with the IE100. Both have been the best fit and seal i have ever had though. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

I guess i another thing to maybe consider is that in small places the vocal mics will pick more of the stage sound up and relay that back to the monitors. They can also give the impression the sound is leaking in a bit more. 
i don’t use ambient mics when on small stages for this exact reason. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

It could well be that the only answer is custom molded plugs.  I had the KZ10, used and liked by many (as the budget option) and I could NOT get used to the fit/isolation, including trying many of the recommended buds/plugs.  I moved to Sennheiser IE100 (your IE) and they were a perfect fit with great isolation, even using the silicone buds that came with it, I had excellent isolation.  I even tried swapping the IE100 silicone buds onto the KZ10 and they were no good (perfect on the Sennheiser).  

In short, the shape and ergonomics of 'some' IE will not fit with some people and it could take lot of experimentation to find the right ones, unless you go custom.  I was lucky that the 2nd pair I tried fit my ear canal shape great.  :/

I have also moved from the KZ because they were always coming out from my ear. They were too big for my ear. I found the IE100 to be perfect in size. I also have the Mee2 as a backup because they are the same size. 

I know the isolate (I even used them as ear plugs when the other band was playing because there were too much noise). I guess there was just too much noise.

20 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I find that on small stages it feels like my IEM’s aren’t sitting correctly in my ears. I guess there is only so much noise they can reduce. 
I find Comply’s tips help make a better seal, but when I’m standing right next to a drummer there isnt much else i can do. 

i guess its saves setting the ambient mic up 😀

Im using IE400 pro but also found the same with the IE100. Both have been the best fit and seal i have ever had though. 

Do you find a huge difference between the IE400 and the IE100? The IE100 sound great, but I think the KZ were just a little bit better with lows. Just a little bit. The IE100 are so much more comfortable.

11 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

but I think the KZ were just a little bit better with lows. Just a little bit. The IE100 are so much more comfortable.

The KZs have a bit of a smiley face EQ so are a tad bass heavy compared to some ear buds. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I have also moved from the KZ because they were always coming out from my ear. They were too big for my ear. I found the IE100 to be perfect in size. I also have the Mee2 as a backup because they are the same size. 

I know the isolate (I even used them as ear plugs when the other band was playing because there were too much noise). I guess there was just too much noise.

Do you find a huge difference between the IE400 and the IE100? The IE100 sound great, but I think the KZ were just a little bit better with lows. Just a little bit. The IE100 are so much more comfortable.

The low end is deeper, and overall I’d say the 400’s are richer sounding, with a bit more depth, but this was testing them out at home against the 100. In a live environment i don’t think the difference is a big, but it’s still there. 
One noticeable difference is the fit. The 400’s are slightly different. A bit thicker in places and i noticed this right away. The 100’s were a revelation to me. I finally found a pair of IEM’s that fitted my flat ears perfectly. I did two gigs with them and then got the 400’s. These still fit fine, but do take a a tiny bit more work to get them in. They stay put though and I’m more than happy. Not sure I’d bother getting the 400 again if i lost or broke mine. The cost difference doesn’t seem to match the improvement for me. I’d be just as happy with the 100. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry in advance if this is a dull question, I did read a decent chunk of this thread a while ago and can’t remember if I found the answer.

If I went for custom moulded IEM, can the drivers be removed and can they also be used as ear protection?

I could do with something for gigs and practice and just wondering where to spend the money.

On 26/03/2024 at 08:05, NJE said:

Sorry in advance if this is a dull question, I did read a decent chunk of this thread a while ago and can’t remember if I found the answer.

If I went for custom moulded IEM, can the drivers be removed and can they also be used as ear protection?

I could do with something for gigs and practice and just wondering where to spend the money.

Most custom IEMs will offer up to 24/25dB attenuation. Can they be used as ear protection? Yes. When used purely as ear protection - are they going to provide you with an experience where you'll be able to play and hear everything but at an attenuated volume? Probably not. Expect very little in the highs to get through. If you want an idea... put your fingers into your ears. Expect a similar resulting sound.

The correct answer is, these are your ears and will need to be protected... invest in both setups.

Thank you, I had convinced myself I had seen IEM that you could pull the drivers out and put filters in, but I must have completely imagined it.

I had an unpleasant experience after my last gig. I was using basic non custom IEM and pulled one out to hear what was going on. I didn’t realise it but my left ear (with the phones still in) took a hammering and was not good on my drive home.

That was almost two weeks ago and the past few days I have noticed a high pitch ringing which I can only assume is tinnitus, which I think must be related.

I need to get something to take care of my ears so I think some custom ear plugs will be a good start.

24 minutes ago, NJE said:

Thank you, I had convinced myself I had seen IEM that you could pull the drivers out and put filters in, but I must have completely imagined it.

I had an unpleasant experience after my last gig. I was using basic non custom IEM and pulled one out to hear what was going on. I didn’t realise it but my left ear (with the phones still in) took a hammering and was not good on my drive home.

That was almost two weeks ago and the past few days I have noticed a high pitch ringing which I can only assume is tinnitus, which I think must be related.

I need to get something to take care of my ears so I think some custom ear plugs will be a good start.

ACS do some. I had a previous version that sounded worse than some cheap buds and the cable was super microphonic. Don't know if they've improved, but I'd be hesitant based on my previous experience. 

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/in-ear-monitors/universal-fit/pro-fit

16 hours ago, NJE said:

I use IEMs at church (not custom ones).  When I gig but am not using IEMs, I use the protection in the link.  I use them when I'm playing and when I'm punter.  They work really well.  At pub gigs I put them in even when no one is playing - I can hear conversation better with them in (I guess they must attenuate the background noise).  I decided to get them after a gig I was at as a punter and I still had cymbals ringing in my ears the morning after.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/alpine-musicsafe-pro-earplugs-transparent-2019

16 hours ago, NJE said:

Yeah, using just one earbud isn't good for your hearing. It's potentially more dangerous than not using IEMs or earplugs at all. All you end up doing is turning up the volume to compensate for the loud surrounding noise around you, and you don't always realise how loud the single IEM is.

Common wisdom says, if you're going to use just one IEM, then stick a decent nusicians earplug in the other ear to balance them out.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

I did something massively original this week, and bought some new gear that I didn't really need as I fancied a change, only to discover that it wasn't anywhere near as good as my current gear.

The tips on my Future Sonics G10s have become loose over time, culminating in one staying in my ear when I took the earphone out just before the first set on Saturday. I then dropped it when pulling it out, delaying the first set for about 5 mins while I scrabbled round on my hands and knees looking for a black headphone tip on a black carpet on a very dimly lit stage...

So instead of doing the sensible thing and buying some new tips, gas took over and I remembered how long I'd spent perusing Crinacle's IEM rankings previously. https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

The Linsoul 7Hz Timeless had jumped out at me as being very favourably reviewed for a reasonable price, and I've fancied giving them a try for a while now (even though I love the sound of the Future Sonics). They arrived yesterday and I spent a while A/B ing them, only to decide that I much prefer the Future Sonics. They just have such an incredible, punchy bottom end - nothing else I've tried has come anywhere close. They're only a single (dynamic) driver, but I've never felt the mids or highs are lacking either. Which begs the obvious question...! 

Anyway, I'd love to say lesson learned, but we all know that's not true. Best bit is I later found more of the aftermarket tips I'd bought for the FS in my drawer, and they're now good as new.

tl/dr: If you're after some very reasonably priced IEMs, give these a go https://www.spectrumseries.biz/

They blow me away! And I love these £3.50 tips. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X3ZKQPQ/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Edited by AxelF

My IEM journey so far.   I've done gigs using methods 1 and 2 below, cheaply using AS-10 earpieces and  P2.   Sometimes I use the Zoom, which has the advantage of me tweaking my bass volume and getting some ambient room sound too.  All wired so far.

I think my next step is to move to no 3, and buying a P16M.  This will still be wired, but give me more control of the mix (an iPad is too fiddly for me) and a stereo mix (if I've understood correctly).  

If that goes well, when funds allow I'll move to wireless.    I'll also upgrade my earphones when funds allow. 

The band all play through the PA (a Behringer X18) and everyone else is on mono wireless IEMs.  We gig two to four times a month.

Any thoughts/suggestions?  

IEM Setup.jpg

Edited by Kirky

20 hours ago, Kirky said:

My IEM journey so far.   I've done gigs using methods 1 and 2 below, cheaply using AS-10 earpieces and  P2.   Sometimes I use the Zoom, which has the advantage of me tweaking my bass volume and getting some ambient room sound too.  All wired so far.

I think my next step is to move to no 3, and buying a P16M.  This will still be wired, but give me more control of the mix (an iPad is too fiddly for me) and a stereo mix (if I've understood correctly).  

If that goes well, when funds allow I'll move to wireless.    I'll also upgrade my earphones when funds allow. 

The band all play through the PA (a Behringer X18) and everyone else is on mono wireless IEMs.  We gig two to four times a month.

1. works fine but you'll still need ipad control over your mix

2. Overly complex for what you get

3. Fine if you wwant to stay wired using the headphone out of the P16M

4. This is what I do in the main, though mine looks like this

image.thumb.png.136d371ad67058f50dd1aee38946ccca.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kirky said:

IEM Setup.jpg

I'm basically doing option 4 but with a Presonus desk and Earmix personal mixer. 

My bass feed to the desk is split to two channels, one for FOH and the other for my monitor feed. The only EQ difference between the two is that the high pass filter on my bass is set at a higher point for my monitor feed. 

• Like 1

On 27/03/2024 at 21:56, MichaelDean said:

ACS do some. I had a previous version that sounded worse than some cheap buds and the cable was super microphonic. Don't know if they've improved, but I'd be hesitant based on my previous experience. 

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/in-ear-monitors/universal-fit/pro-fit

My personal experience is, I bought some of those universal plugs from ACS as i already have a set of their ear plugs. However they were a bit disappointing as they kept pulling the little drivers out of the in ear moulds and the general sound attenuation from the moulds was significantly reduced.

I would imagine on a low volume gig they might be ok but i am about to invest in some moulded IEM's as the off the shelf earplugs i have tried keep falling out of my ears. 

Looking to get a replacement pair for my KZ ZS10 Pro set (which seem to have gone absent without leave perhaps at a recent gig venue!)

In the KZ IEM range there seem to be the following upgrade options (current prices on Amazon):

KZ ZS 10 Pro X (£49)

KZ AS 16 Pro X (£70)

KZ ZAR  (£95)

Been a fair bit of discussion about the KZ ZS 10 Pro X and some on the AS 16, but I've not seen anything much on here about the ZAR and just wondering if anyone has gone for them or the AS 16 Pro and felt they've been worth the money, particularly if you've previously had either the ZS 10s or Pro/X models.

I'm sure you have reasons for sticking with the KZs but just in case you hadn't considered... The Sennheiser IE100 are within that price band (£82) and I've found them far more comfortable, better isolating and a nice tone than the KZ10s that I also own.   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Ear-Monitoring-Headphones-Clear/dp/B096FJBM7B?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Looking to get a replacement pair for my KZ ZS10 Pro set

My ZS10s died on Saturday night at a gig - I think it might be the cable, but after 3 years service in my pub duo I think it's about time for a new set!

I went for the KZ ZSX this time on a friend's recommendation.  6 drivers per side.  Bass is supposed to sound very good through them.  This time I also added a braided 8 core cable for some extra reliability.  Total cost was $49 for the ZSX and $31 for the cable.  Very confident that I will have a banging set of phones for around £70 all in (I also recommend the Comply foam tips, Sonicfoam also supposed to be very good).  I usually use JH Audio Roxannes for my touring band and have been very happy with the KZs for pub gigs. 

• Like 1

Thanks @warwickhunt, it's a good shout. I find my IE 300s to be a little quieter / less bright than the KZs and need to pushed harder to get to a comfortable stage volume. And our guitarist is using a stage monitor which is providing unwanted competition!

Edited by Al Krow

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks @warwickhunt, it's a good shout. I find my IE 300s to be a little quieter / less bright than the KZs and need to pushed harder to get to a comfortable stage volume. And our guitarist is using a stage monitor which is providing unwanted competition!

Interesting.  I find my IE100's less fatiguing and with better isolation I can easily get a comfortable level/balance; I generally stand 2ft from the drummer and I'm well isolated from that racket and I don't need to push the volume.  

16 minutes ago, acidbass said:

My ZS10s died on Saturday night at a gig - I think it might be the cable, but after 3 years service in my pub duo I think it's about time for a new set!

I went for the KZ ZSX this time on a friend's recommendation.  6 drivers per side.  Bass is supposed to sound very good through them.  This time I also added a braided 8 core cable for some extra reliability.  Total cost was $49 for the ZSX and $31 for the cable.  Very confident that I will have a banging set of phones for around £70 all in (I also recommend the Comply foam tips, Sonicfoam also supposed to be very good).  I usually use JH Audio Roxannes for my touring band and have been very happy with the KZs for pub gigs. 

Thanks - I've just done a quick search and the ZSX seems to have been around since about 2019 i.e. a successor to the ZS10 Pro, but predates the more recent ZS Pro10 X. Reviews online seem a little mixed e.g. this one:  KZ ZSX review: differently - Soundphile Review, but that's not to say they won't be very decent - look forward to getting your thoughts on them.

7 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Interesting.  I find my IE100's less fatiguing and with better isolation I can easily get a comfortable level/balance; I generally stand 2ft from the drummer and I'm well isolated from that racket and I don't need to push the volume.  

I find that as well with my IE400 (and 100 before them). 
What i noticed is they are more balanced and so smoother sounding. Sometimes i wonder if they are loud enough as i do still hear they band a little. 
When i had the KZ’s briefly they did sound louder and more in your face (or ear). More noticeable i guess, but with too much high end to make them sound comfortable for me. I felt they were making their presence known more and not really blending in. 

19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I find that as well with my IE400 (and 100 before them). 
What i noticed is they are more balanced and so smoother sounding. Sometimes i wonder if they are loud enough as i do still hear they band a little. 
When i had the KZ’s briefly they did sound louder and more in your face (or ear). More noticeable i guess, but with too much high end to make them sound comfortable for me. I felt they were making their presence known more and not really blending in. 

Interesting you're picking up on the volume point, too, Dave. My key starting point is being able to hear myself clearly i.e. cutting through the mix on my IEMs for bass, I guess in the same way that a vocalist is primarily concerned about hearing themselves sing. It's complicated slightly by using mid priced Xvive U4 wireless with our IEMs, and if I am having to max the volume then other interference issues can creep in, so having a set of IEMs that cut through well without being pushed is very helpful.

Edited by Al Krow