Why become a member? ×

Morning,

I used the X-Vive U4 for the first time last night (I'm used to using the A&H ME-1) and was really surprised to hear a huge amount of background hiss and a number of 1/2 second drop outs in the connection a number of times.

Wonder if this is a common issue with this piece of kit?

I'm taking a FOH mix into a Zoom H8 and mixing with my own DI signal from a Radial Tonebone pedal.

It wasn't great and I gave up at the start of the 2nd set which was frustrating. 

3 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

I used the X-Vive U4 for the first time last night (I'm used to using the A&H ME-1) and was really surprised to hear a huge amount of background hiss and a number of 1/2 second drop outs in the connection a number of times.

Wonder if this is a common issue with this piece of kit?

No

Not a true test of the system, but I have done two different rehearsals over this weekend with my new Mercury IEM’s, using the Behringer P2 and taking the line out from the Zoom H6 using the Mid/Side mic module plus a feed to the H6 from the Revolt Bass and it worked well.

I was probably not such a noisy barsteward on bass as I had the direct bass feed mixed in, and the results were generally good.

Not an entirely true comparison for live but looking hopeful.

Friday setup was in a fairly live room with a little damping and setup as if live but with the PA behind us. Started out with the H6 as if stage front and with the stereo mic set which was not great and bass heavy from the room even though I think I was quieter on the studio amp.

In the break I changed the mic module and moved the H6 to beside kit and guitar and under one of the Pa cabs and that made a huge improvement, though the H6 was slightly too far back and lost the guitar as it was a closed back cab. Should probably have taken a feed from the “recording out” of the guitar amp but not the end of the world.

Today’s setup was a better damped room but essentially the same (just my amp & cab this time - Darkglass and Barefaced BB2 - and with the H6 the far side of the kit in front of guitar rig and a vocal Pa cab, and worked really well.

Last night was supposed to be the first test with radio system and mix from the PA at a gig, unfortunately that was cancelled last minute as our drummer in that band had a funny turn in the morning and we had to take a decision to blow out the gig at lunchtime ☹️

4ee54dde-569e-4a98-99be-6ac220ea0b93.jpeg

327883ad-64b4-4f46-b024-dd7ef476296d.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Does anyone use add on wing tips with their IEM’s?

I know custom is the way to go, but I quite fancy trying some wing tips. I’ve recently been using my Beats Fit pro’s at the gym and love how well they stay put. 

without looking back thru the thread, I use Comply tips. You squash them down and they expand in your ear. Great isolation and they don't fall out (not yet anyway)

44 minutes ago, police squad said:

without looking back thru the thread, I use Comply tips. You squash them down and they expand in your ear. Great isolation and they don't fall out (not yet anyway)

Yeah, I’m using them at the moment. I’m fact I found some cheaper ones that seem to last longer. 

On 29/06/2023 at 16:10, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, I’m using them at the moment. I’m fact I found some cheaper ones that seem to last longer. 

cool, where from. Mine need changing. I have a few sets of spares but would be interesting if there were cheaper, just as good alternatves

On 19/06/2023 at 11:59, warwickhunt said:

Back to square 1 for me!

I've no idea why, considering desk settings were saved, but last 2 gigs I've set up, plugged in and been assaulted by this god awful IEM bass tone!  :/

PA guy assures me there is now no compression or effects on my Aux send (wired to P2 > IEM) but I have this buzzy/compressed bass tone which is a million miles removed from the FOH sound but apparently that is the compromise for using cheap IEM... this has led to heat exchanges as the IEM may be cheap but when I play ANY other sound source through them there is no compression/distortion.  I've plugged the drummers studio headphones into my P2 at the gig and it sounds exactly the same, so imho nothing to do with my choice of earphones.

Thinking it through, I've never actually listened to any of the other Aux sends that the drummer and guitarist use so I'll be checking that.  It has been suggested that I use my A&H 4 channel mixer to get a DI bass tone + a feed from the PA and I mix from that for my IEM, which is an option.  However we are doing a theatre gig this weekend so it'll be interesting to give the engineer my feed and see what I get back as a mix!  

Houston we no longer have a problem!  

Gigged last night and I went belt/braces and took EVERYTHING; IEM, monitor, backline, Rolls PM351, Behringer P2... you name it.  Intent on having bass through backline regardless of IE.

Bass > pedals (ditched digital Plethora just in case it caused cumulative latency) > amp 

amp tuner send > Rolls 

amp DI > desk

desk Aux send (vocals/guitar/bass) > Rolls

Rolls mix desk + amp > IEM 

Initially all of this was hooked up with cables so that I could have no potential for digital issues etc.  Amp into Rolls was fine in my IE.  Desk into Rolls into IE 'awful' as before.  I then swapped to wireless so that I could easier get around out front and to the main desk interface; sound with wireless bass and wireless IE was the same as wired, no change in signal or tone.  I plugged my IE into the guitarists Aux channel and his bass feed was fine ergo the issue was something on my Aux feed.  I then had to do a quick vocal line check and the vocal sound was equally as bad on the FOH as there was IE.  My vocal mic was swapped (assumption being it was my mic), just the same!  A minute of messing with the desk interface and clarity, vocal mic OK.... within seconds my bass is clear through IEM!  

I queried what had changed as I needed to be sure it didn't happen again and it transpires that it could have been a combination of a guitar amp patch/setting/template that was applied to my channel (my words/definition) and a noise gate kicking in/out.  Apparently because the room we were playing was significantly smaller/different to any other + we were using a sub with a full range signal sent to it, we didn't use a previous saved board.  

I now have to ensure that when we play on Sunday (different band but same PA/guitarist), whatever was applied/disapplied to the desk is done on a saved board.

Genuine heartfelt thanks to anyone who has given me pointers, tips or suggestions.  Cheers folks.  ;)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Gigged last night and I went belt/braces and took EVERYTHING; IEM, monitor, backline, Rolls PM351, Behringer P2... you name it.  Intent on having bass through backline regardless of IE.

Bass > pedals (ditched digital Plethora just in case it caused cumulative latency) > amp 

amp tuner send > Rolls 

amp DI > desk

Initially all of this was hooked up with cables so that I could have no potential for digital issues etc.  Amp into Rolls was fine in my IE.  Desk into Rolls into IE 'awful' as before.  I then swapped to wireless so that I could easier get around out front and to the main desk interface; sound with wireless bass and wireless IE was the same as wired, no change in signal or tone.  I plugged my IE into the guitarists Aux channel and his bass feed was fine ergo the issue was something on my Aux feed.  I then had to do a quick vocal line check and the vocal sound was equally as bad on the FOH as there was IE.  My vocal mic was swapped (assumption being it was my mic), just the same!  A minute of messing with the desk interface and clarity, vocal mic OK.... within seconds my bass is clear through IEM!  

I queried what had changed as I needed to be sure it didn't happen again and it transpires that it could have been a combination of a guitar amp patch/setting/template that was applied to my channel (my words/definition) and a noise gate kicking in/out.  Apparently because the room we were playing was significantly smaller/different to any other + we were using a sub with a full range signal sent to it, we didn't use a previous saved board.  

I now have to ensure that when we play on Sunday (different band but same PA/guitarist), whatever was applied/disapplied to the desk is done on a saved board.

Genuine heartfelt thanks to anyone who has given me pointers, tips or suggestions.  Cheers folks.  ;)

Been looking at the Rolls PM351 as an alternative non-digital option to my current set up, what has your experience been like with it?

2 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

Been looking at the Rolls PM351 as an alternative non-digital option to my current set up, what has your experience been like with it?

I have one as a back-up in case of problems with my wireless kit. It does not have a limiter though, so I always worry about noise spikes (feedback or dropped microphones) with IEM’s and serious ear damage as a result. The Rolls PM351 is otherwise a great piece of kit though.

3 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

Only had it a week but it seems to cover what I need with regards to send/return and mixes; sound was good and you have several mono/stereo options.  One thing I need to check at today's gig is gain staging, before / after the Rolls.  I found that when I turned the gain on the rolls up to the centre detent (12:00), it was starting to induce distortion; in fairness you have gain at the desk, gains on the Aux send channels and main fader, the Rolls has gain and my wireless system from the Rolls to my IEM also has gain.  I need to juggle to ensure I'm getting the best signal.  TBH I'm saying the Rolls was distorting at 50% of its rotation but had I turned down the gain at any one of the other points it likely isn't an issue; experimentation today.  

22 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

amp tuner send > Rolls 

amp DI > desk

Was the problem on inputs 1 or 2 where the guitar modellers are? 

On 01/07/2023 at 10:12, dave_bass5 said:

They're the exact ones I use. They';re excellent. IME the key is to follow the instructions... squash then hold in place a few seconds to let them expand again. They never fall out, provide superb isolation, and make the IEMs sound vastly better. I do go through them quite quickly though cos they're quite fragile, but then again, you buy them in bulk, so it's probably to be expected.

Edited by Elfrasho

Just in case this helps anyone. I've been using kz zs10s (non pro version) for a few years now. Love them, sound is very flat which works well for IEMs. I recently purchased the kz AS10s as a wee treat to myself thinking they will be an upgrade. I've A/B'd them and I can confirm that the as10s have a slight more 'smiley face' EQ feel to them, but not an in your face type EQ: still reasonably flat.. They work equally well as IEMs. Can't say I can tell any significant sound quality improvement. So the conclusion is, If i lost both pairs, id probably replace them with a set of the cheaper zs10s.

5 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

They're the exact ones I use. They';re excellent. IME the key is to follow the instructions... squash then hold in place a few seconds to let them expand again. They never fall out, provide superb isolation, and make the IEMs sound vastly better. I do go through them quite quickly though cos they're quite fragile, but then again, you buy them in bulk, so it's probably to be expected.

Yeah, they seem a bit more fragile compared to the Comply’s, but at that price it’s fine. I brought so many different sets of Comply’s so im trying to use those up at the  moment. 

I do find they all seem to come loose in my right ear after a while, hence the wing tips question, but all are better than the silicone ones for me. 

Am I alone in thinking that Comply tips are a super case study where the branding has won out over the actual product? I never had any luck with them... and then tended to fall apart.

To be fair though, I never found anything that would stay in my ears - I don't know if thats because of the shape of my ears or not... but it was that that send me on my merry way down the customs route.

Spintfits were my favourite - but again, silicone - so if silicone not anybody's bag, probably a bit of a non starter.

Anyway, as you were.

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Am I alone in thinking that Comply tips are a super case study where the branding has won out over the actual product? I never had any luck with them... and then tended to fall apart.

To be fair though, I never found anything that would stay in my ears - I don't know if thats because of the shape of my ears or not... but it was that that send me on my merry way down the customs route.

Spintfits were my favourite - but again, silicone - so if silicone not anybody's bag, probably a bit of a non starter.

Anyway, as you were.

Nah, you're not alone. I've spent a small fortune trying lots of different tips but could never find 'the one' that worked for me. The Comply-style ones were okay to a point, but I never seemed to get the isolation everyone else said; I suspect I have weirdly shaped ears. 

In the end I've opted for customs too, so hopefully that should put an end to the searching!

11 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Anyway, as you were.

10 hours ago, Jakester said:

Nah, you're not alone. I've spent a small fortune trying lots of different tips but could never find 'the one' that worked for me. The Comply-style ones were okay to a point, but I never seemed to get the isolation everyone else said; I suspect I have weirdly shaped ears. 

In the end I've opted for customs too, so hopefully that should put an end to the searching!

I have real trouble with silicon tips and have fount the comply’s to be the best fit once you get the right size. However they do tear easily and are expensive because of that.