Why become a member? ×

Nine below Zero

beerdragon

[quote name='MB1' post='386194' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:05 PM']MB1. ;)
Have seen Nine below Zero many times!
Gerry is Mustard (did some great stuff with Rory)worth the ticket price alone!... :)[/quote]

I supported Nine Below Zero with my first band about 15-16 years ago. It was my first non-pub gig and I was very nervous playing on a proper stage in front of that many people ! Luckily no one paid much attention to us besides our singers mum (who'd been on the sherry) but it was a great night and I remember we enjoyed scoffing their buffet while they were on stage :P

Seeing as there are so many fans...

I have a just released CD/DVD called 'Both Sides Of'. The DVD is recorded in Cumbria in 2007 and the DVD in Europe in 2006. Also a studio album called 'Refrigerator'.

Sling me a tenner and I'll bung in the studio album 'Refrigerator' - also unplayed! ;)

Mick

Edited by Mickeyboro

[quote name='Shaggy' post='386207' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:15 PM']Saw them year before last at Pontardawe Art Centre, awesomely good, best blues harp playing you'll ever hear ;)[/quote]

MB1. :P
Mr Mark Feltham on Stormin' Blues Harp!(Harmonica)

[quote name='artisan' post='386373' date='Jan 20 2009, 04:37 PM']....Dennis was a total arrogant prick.[/quote]

I have worked with them as a FOH soundman a couple of times and found him to be very difficult. Not particularly towards me, but seemed to have the Liam/Noel Gallagher "f**k you I'm too cool" type "atitood". Ok on stage, but not with the crew IMO.

I saw them a couple of times in their heyday and have a few of their albums, at the time when the Feelgoods, Blues Band and Nine Below were really cooking.

I saw Nine Below again at the Peterborough Beer Fest in August 2008, not so hot as they used to be.

Dennis Greeves had a dodgy guitar strap that kept falling off about every two minutes, very unprofessional, you would think the guy would carry a spare one!!!!!!

[quote name='artisan' post='386373' date='Jan 20 2009, 04:37 PM']Dennis was a total arrogant prick.[/quote]

If it makes you feel any better... in the early 80's at Alaska St Studios I saw him wearing frankly laughable diamond-pattern parachute trousers. He looked like a trainee salad chef on acid. Everybody tiptoeing round him trying not to giggle.

Touch of the Weller's, methinks.

They were ok. they played to a packed village hall with about two hundred people and went down well. but i cant imagine for one minute this was there set. one song cosisted of hendrix bits and i'm a man, also sugar pie honey bunch and can i get a witness. with an encore of Wooly Bully. they were having a laugh. Gerry McAvoy played a black Musicman through a Laney combo and he and Brendan O'Neill never put a foot wrong, good night though

I'm trying to piece this together in my head.... back in '83 (when I was doing Ents stuff at Newcastle University) I booked a band called "The Truth". Where they associated in some way??

I only remember them at all because we had The Toy Dolls on as support (Nelly the Elephant et al) and the Dolls blew them into the dust which was a bit embarrassing... for me mostly.

Also a fan of NBZ in the early years but have to agree with what someone said earlier about Dennis being arrogant etc.
I auditioned for The Truth when he was in that band and unfortunately it wasn't 15 minutes of my life I would like to repeat. The other guys were fine but he came across as a pretty unpleasent character. Very dissapointing as I had seen NBZ many times prior and loved what they did.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='390952' date='Jan 25 2009, 02:16 PM']Dennis Greaves was in the Truth.[/quote]

Ah ha! [i]That[/i] was when he was wearing the ludicrous trousers (see my nostalgia post above) I knew it wasn't NBZ, but just couldn't remember the name.

Perhaps our 'Truth Audition Correspondent' can confirm the absurdity of Dennis's strides at this time?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='391062' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:11 PM']Ah ha! [i]That[/i] was when he was wearing the ludicrous trousers (see my nostalgia post above) I knew it wasn't NBZ, but just couldn't remember the name.

Perhaps our 'Truth Audition Correspondent' can confirm the absurdity of Dennis's strides at this time?[/quote]
IIRC no absurd strides I'm afraid, although would love to report otherwise.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='390952' date='Jan 25 2009, 02:16 PM']Dennis Greaves was in the Truth.

this one tune they did last night.

[/quote]

In that case I must have met the man. I don't remember much about him one way or another. I'd never heard of NBZ at the time (one of them Laaaandaaan bands) and still can't think of any of their songs. I think Te Truth were a last minute replacement for a band called "Roman Holiday". Remember even less about them ;)

[quote name='whynot' post='391079' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:36 PM']IIRC no absurd strides I'm afraid, although would love to report otherwise.[/quote]

Shame - though the leopard print shirt in the youtube vid above goes someway towards conveying the general idea...

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='387049' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:40 AM']If it makes you feel any better... in the early 80's at Alaska St Studios I saw him wearing frankly laughable diamond-pattern parachute trousers. He looked like a trainee salad chef on acid. Everybody tiptoeing round him trying not to giggle.

Touch of the Weller's, methinks.[/quote]

MB1. ;)
Was he not originally in a Mod type Band called The Chords?...Sorry!just noticed the previous post by the purple blob!
Strewth!....... it were the Truth!...

That Song off the clip is Stone Fox Chase....the theme to the Old Grey Whistle Test!

Edited by MB1

Band I was in supported NBZ in Worcester Park a few years ago and Gerry was running late so they asked me to sound check with them. Got given his Stingray and as I played a few notes to get the feel of it I mistakenly slapped it a few times!! You would have thought I'd just farted in front of the Queen judging by the looks I got. Then came the shout "Oi nah!! We don't play none of that sh*t in here"
Needless to say I felt a bit small and stayed well in the sidelines for most of the night apart from when we did our slot when I played a blinder, oh and no slap even though I was playing a Status2000!