Why become a member? ×

Most Under-Rated piece of Bass kit?

Mr.T

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='375020' date='Jan 9 2009, 12:42 PM']....Not sure they're under rated. Lots of people rave about them don't they?....[/quote]
I was thinking more about the neo speaker vs ceramic speaker argument. It seems there are still people who think the tone of neo speakers is not as good.

Not sure they're under rated, or rated at all, but i've got an ernie ball strap, one of the cheap fake leather and plastic toggle ones, which has lasted 5 years of constant use, some heavy gigging, and for the last 3 years my very heavy spector, and still looks new. For £5 i'm throughly impressed

Edited by bobbass4k

Just to hi-jack a wee bit, there was a few mentions of ear protection earlier, I have begun to get grief with my lugs which is not surprising after 20+ years of playing bass in different bands and I wonder if anyone can give some specific tips on ear plugs, ie types you use, where to get them etc...cheers ;)

[quote name='Tradfusion' post='375222' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:56 PM']Just to hi-jack a wee bit, there was a few mentions of ear protection earlier, I have begun to get grief with my lugs which is not surprising after 20+ years of playing bass in different bands and I wonder if anyone can give some specific tips on ear plugs, ie types you use, where to get them etc...cheers :P[/quote]

here there is a whole [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=533"]ear protection[/url] thread, its got loads of advice and tips ;)

[quote name='Tradfusion' post='375222' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:56 PM']Just to hi-jack a wee bit, there was a few mentions of ear protection earlier, I have begun to get grief with my lugs which is not surprising after 20+ years of playing bass in different bands and I wonder if anyone can give some specific tips on ear plugs, ie types you use, where to get them etc...cheers ;)[/quote]

I know a drummer who swears by these, and uses them...
You can get them in you Football team colours.
[attachment=18392:1122_large.jpg]

Garry

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='374889' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:53 AM']Quick Tune tuners they cost a fiver and last a lifetime.[/quote]

+1

Love little tuners that cost nowt- they're often better than rack mounted ones that cost 10 times the price even if rack mounted ones look awesome

[quote name='dood' post='374938' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:43 AM']It has to be Ear Protection .. ok.. so it's not specifically 'bass' kit.. but how many people spend hundreds maybe thousands of pounds on bass gear yet *still* insist on spending as little as possible on looking after their ears? (Or not spending anything at all on them!)[/quote]
[size=5]+1[/size]
(that's a big plus one ;) )

[quote name='josh3184' post='375251' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:10 PM']+1

Love little tuners that cost nowt- they're often better than rack mounted ones that cost 10 times the price even if rack mounted ones look awesome[/quote]

+2 Had mine 9 years and only change dthe battery 3 times, brilliant! (and yes i do turn it on and tune my bass very often)

My underated:

Fender Roscoe Beck V....seriously the best 5 string I have ever played and they fly under the radar a lot of the time. Although rumour has it Fender are working on a new one so they may have a resurgence.

Squier Deluxe active Jazz V - I know the other squiers are raved about and owned by many on here, but I cannot believe more 5 sting players on here dont have them, seriously good bass and well worth it for a bit of modding as well.

multi effect pedals in general, alot of boutique pedal snobs wouldnt even consider buyin digital multi effects, but some are in fact fantastic, the best value one imo is the zoom b2.1u, fantastic for the money. and from what iv heard from Ped the V-Bass is brilliant!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='375285' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:33 PM']multi effect pedals in general, alot of boutique pedal snobs wouldnt even consider buyin digital multi effects, but some are in fact fantastic, the best value one imo is the zoom b2.1u, fantastic for the money. and from what iv heard from Ped the V-Bass is brilliant![/quote]
+1

Isn't Basschat the most underated piece of Bass Kit.. And it's free!

I've tried every major branded multi effects pedal, they're all pretty decent generally but they'll never come close to even decent quality mass produced stomp box effects. Oh and Zoom pedals have a horrible interface, yeah they get the job done but they need to take a page from Line6 or Boss's book.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='375448' date='Jan 9 2009, 05:40 PM']Proper musician's earplugs. The best £150 you can ever spend on tone.

Alex[/quote]

£150 for ear plugs? Wha?

As well with the £40 lead, why? a Pirahana lead (or any decent quality brand) will do exactly the same. Boutique leads are a massive marketing scam, and you can get perfectly fine musician earplugs for a tenner.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='375703' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:23 PM']+1

Isn't Basschat the most underated piece of Bass Kit.. And it's free![/quote]

Very true. We have a very underestimated pseudo society going on here with a wealth of knowledge.

I would also like to add - Optima gold bass strings. Best part of £30 but will last me for a whole year. ELites are my second best string choice.

Warmoth - assumed by the non-bass playing fraternity that they are merely parts basses but with the correct parts are better than US Fenders before they've even been set up. hint hint

Unless the 3 basses I have left on my list but have never tried are better than my Warmoth, namely a Yamaha BB5000a, Warwick Streamer or Fender Fretless Maple board precision, there wil never be anything better than my W basses

Edited by Delberthot

Flatwound strings
go the D'Addarrio Chromes

yes to the Sadowsky outboard pre-amp
Peavy BW speakers

sweat towel for after summer session
please remember to wash occasionally.

"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book by Alan Slutsky
you'll get a lifetime out of this I reckon

back catalog of either Miles Davis, Prince or James Brown.
preferably all 3 ;)