Why become a member? ×

Coolest Bass Player

jwbassman

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='40940' date='Aug 3 2007, 03:31 PM']a reference to Willie Dixon, I believe.[/quote]

Ooh, a good'n'

[quote name='Tinman' post='40951' date='Aug 3 2007, 03:50 PM']If we're talking about someone who stands back and never makes a fuss, then it's got to be Cliff Williams. You never see him but you sure know he's there.[/quote]

Wise words.

Jamerson fits the bill.

--

This thread begs the question, what is cool?

I've chucked in a stereotype. Obviously, being a fat bassy black man doesn't make you cool (although it sure helps). I guess being cool is someone who is innovative, does their own thing whilst filling the role.

That's why I think the coolest (electric) bassists (and my my favourite bassists) are:[list]
[*]James Jamerson
[*]Aston Barrett
[*]Bakithi Kumalo
[/list]Stereotypes always start somewhere though. There was obviously a fbm who was a bit of an innovator and trend setter among bassists.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='steve-soar' post='39293' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:21 PM']On the bloody bass, Jean Jacques Burnel.[/quote]

Whoeheartedly agree, with the addition of Norman Watt-Roy and the bloke who was playing bass for Omar and the Howlers from Austin ,Texas when I saw them in Plymouth years ago. No idea what his name is, but he was like no bass player I've ever seen before or since. A master of minimalism, never played two notes when one would do, frequently fretting over the top of the neck, looked as if he was playing in slow motion even on the fastest songs. Amazing.

I agree with Hamster. Fo me the coolest bass player ever has to be Phil Lynott.

Followed closely by (believe it or not) Adam Clayton. Not so much for the quality of his playing (although I still think he's under-rated), but as a kid growing up watching U2, he had the attitude and the moves that made me want to be a bass player.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='38800' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:06 AM']Alive - Tony Levin.

Dead - The Ox - standing like a statue amongst the chaos bringing forth thunder from his fingers.[/quote]

+1
Tho the coolest bassist I ever saw was in a Cambridge Jazz club about twenty-five years back – big guy, big beard, big grin, biggest beer belly I’ve ever seen, fag stuck in the headstock (beat-up Fender Jazz of course), grooving along nicely.