Why become a member? ×

Coolest Bass Player

jwbassman

Hey guys

just got back from seeing jools holland at the Southport Summer Classics... and my vote for the coolest bass player has to go to mr dave swift - he was awesome... just layed it down all night, which is no mean feat playing with the likes of 'monster left hand' jools and gilson...

he was using a EBS 4x10 cab, not sure what amp but it wan't the ebs on his website - he used a rob allen 5 all night and it sounded fantatsic - [url="http://www.daveswiftbass.com/pages/basses/roballen.html"]more info here[/url]...

he just stood there in his wrap around shades (it was dark by the time they had finished) and barely moved all night, only from the elbow down and the head going... that guy is too cool :) just looked so relaxed it was so easy for him, not a dot of music all night and never missed a beat... superb

any other guys out there that should be on this list?

In any list of 'Cool' bass players, you have to put Phil Lynott near the top.

Gay Byrne (TV chat show host), "Phil, what's it like to be black and Irish?" - Phil, "It's like being a pint of Guinness."

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='38724' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:44 AM']In any list of 'Cool' bass players, you have to put Phil Lynott near the top.

Gay Byrne (TV chat show host), "Phil, what's it like to be black and Irish?" - Phil, "It's like being a pint of Guinness."

Hamster[/quote]

That's great - drinking guinness comes second only to bass playing in terms of the top things to do in my house :huh:

[quote name='E_MaN' post='38757' date='Jul 30 2007, 08:13 AM']Jason Newsted....c'mon he's a cat.

And that Wooten character's quite chilled lol[/quote]

I must agree Victor is pretty cool :) - once again he makes it all look so easy...

[quote name='Higgie' post='39041' date='Jul 30 2007, 04:11 PM']Zender takes the top spot for me...But Paul Turner is definitely a VERY cool cat indeed.[/quote]

Amen brother.

Big Dave Swift is a top geezer, seen him play a couple of times, and yes he nails it every time. Mind you, even if he played a bum note, I doubt anyone would have the guts to tell him.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='39142' date='Jul 30 2007, 06:38 PM']Paul Simonon...end of debate.[/quote]

Yes, saw him with The Good The Bad and The Queen a few months back, a very dapper chap indeed.

[quote name='jwbassman' post='38699' date='Jul 29 2007, 11:27 PM']Hey guys

just got back from seeing jools holland at the Southport Summer Classics... and my vote for the coolest bass player has to go to mr dave swift - he was awesome... just layed it down all night, which is no mean feat playing with the likes of 'monster left hand' jools and gilson...

he was using a EBS 4x10 cab, not sure what amp but it wan't the ebs on his website - he used a rob allen 5 all night and it sounded fantatsic - [url="http://www.daveswiftbass.com/pages/basses/roballen.html"]more info here[/url]...

he just stood there in his wrap around shades (it was dark by the time they had finished) and barely moved all night, only from the elbow down and the head going... that guy is too cool :) just looked so relaxed it was so easy for him, not a dot of music all night and never missed a beat... superb

any other guys out there that should be on this list?[/quote]
Maybe not the best, but definetley the coolest Paul simmonon. The reason i started playing the bass