Why become a member? ×

Coolest Bass Player

jwbassman

• 11 months later...

[quote name='Shaggy' post='42296' date='Aug 7 2007, 08:18 AM']+1
Tho the coolest bassist I ever saw was in a Cambridge Jazz club about twenty-five years back – big guy, big beard, big grin, biggest beer belly I’ve ever seen, fag stuck in the headstock (beat-up Fender Jazz of course), grooving along nicely.[/quote]

Dill Katz? :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='38724' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:44 AM']In any list of 'Cool' bass players, you have to put Phil Lynott near the top.

Gay Byrne (TV chat show host), "Phil, what's it like to be black and Irish?" - Phil, "It's like being a pint of Guinness."

Hamster[/quote]
Yup, a big +1 for Phil Lynott. "I'd like to thank you all for coming tonight... especially those who came more than once...". Classic. :) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

[quote name='guzzibass' post='44619' date='Aug 12 2007, 09:49 PM']Rick Danko (The Band)[/quote]

I've been plonking away to the band on my piano today. The late great Rick Danko. Great to see him mentioned.

however ... Derek Smalls, if not cool definately "luke warm".

[quote name='Rich' post='258503' date='Aug 8 2008, 09:21 PM']Yup, a big +1 for Phil Lynott. "I'd like to thank you all for coming tonight... especially those who came more than once...". Classic. :) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Yep, doesn't get any cooler than Phil, bassist or anything else really. If you look cool up in the dictionary, I'm sure a picture of Phil will be grinning right back at ya. :huh:

Obviously in a thread like this everyone's going to have different ideas, but I'd also say Lemmy (personal fave), Jean Jacques Burnel, Tony Levin, The Ox, Stanley Clarke (the cover of the brown album is sufficient for me), Stu Zender, Me'shell and Bernard Edwards, with a special mention for Mark King who is cool because he's arguably the nicest, most pleasant "star" I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Chris Squire is my favourite player and so is cool in that respect. Bootsy!

Oh, and I have to add Glenn Hughes on Made In Europe, for that sound, that bass, and those trousers.....

Edited by 4000

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='258568' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:44 PM']Sting can't be cool.

Anyone who has ever made an album on the lute can't be cool it's the law.[/quote]

I've been playing along to the Synchronicity album all night on my new fretless. You simply CAN NOT be dissin' Stink. He's a fantastic bass player and songwriter and is blessed with a gorgeous voice. Come on dude, you must admit you'd want to give him one up the bifter back in the eighties ..

[quote name='silddx' post='258657' date='Aug 9 2008, 03:24 AM']I've been playing along to the Synchronicity album all night on my new fretless. You simply CAN NOT be dissin' Stink. He's a fantastic bass player and songwriter and is blessed with a gorgeous voice. Come on dude, you must admit you'd want to give him one up the bifter back in the eighties ..[/quote]

He is a great bass player and has a great voice but he is also an arrogant pr*ck who is stuck up he own a*se so far he hasn't seen daylight for 15 years and that is not cool.

Kudos on using the word "biffer"

Edited by waynepunkdude