Why become a member? ×

Coolest Bass Player

jwbassman

[quote name='elom' post='40731' date='Aug 3 2007, 12:49 AM']Everyone loves Lydia - I still prefer the pink bobble hat phase though.

Hey, they should get her for Bass Day! Can we start a campaign?[/quote]

+ lots.....she's fab.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='258594' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:12 PM']Lynott was born at Hallam Hospital in West Brom. And all the "Oirish he claimed to put in everybody" :)[/quote]
He had one Irish parent and moved to Dublin when he was a kid. Making him at least 3/4 Irish I reckon :huh:
Anyway, he would have been as cool as f**k whether he'd been from Ireland, Iceland, Lebanon, Luxembourg or Papua New flippin Guinea. :huh:

Wow - how to choose?

For me rockers are out - surely that stuff's hot not cool? (with the possible exception of The Ox).

So, maybe George Porter Jnr, Meters (thanks Capt Bassman - didn't know his name), for laying down grooves that make me grin. Or James Jamerson for more instantly recognisable no1 solid gold hits than any other bassman ever (probably). Bootsy, anyone? Me'shell for that killer riff on 'If That's Your Boyfriend'.

What about Chris Woods (Medeski, Martin and Woods)?

But I'm an upright bluesman so: Willie Dixon for so many classic blues hits, and for playing with Muddy, The Wolf and Chuck Berry. Ernest Big' Crawford for that amazing syncopated line to Muddy's 'I Can't Be Satisfied'.

All of these players exude some kind of cool... but how about this:

Bill Black - for being in on that seminal Sun Studios session with Elvis and Scotty Moore, and especially for 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

Another one not mentioned yet is Nathan East

Anyone who can play up and down a 6 string bass effortlessly, while dancing and with a huge grin on his face is cool in my book.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMzOuWMTPYQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMzOuWMTPYQ[/url]

[quote name='bubinga5' post='262749' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:49 PM']Nate Watts..[/quote]Nate is sub zero.
I remember watching a live performance (recorded obviously) of Stevie back in the 70's on telly, when my mum let me stay up after much protesting and thinking it was the most amazing thing I had ever heared.
Years later, I saw the same footage and realised why, Nate had seeded my love of funk back when I was a little boy.
Thank you.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='258661' date='Aug 9 2008, 05:19 AM']He is a great bass player and has a great voice but he is also an arrogant pr*ck who is stuck up he own a*se so far he hasn't seen daylight for 15 years and that is not cool.

Kudos on using the word "biffer"[/quote]

Saved me a post,

But I can't believe no-ones mentioned Martin Kemp & that bloke from Kajagoogoo.

Mick Karn and his Wal were the reason I started playing.

[quote name='brummie' post='262796' date='Aug 14 2008, 10:54 PM']Saved me a post,

But I can't believe no-ones mentioned Martin Kemp & that bloke from Kajagoogoo.

Mick Karn and his Wal were the reason I started playing.[/quote]Oi Miss Diane, Im wi da no eye brows was good, wan e.
Shuee McFee was probably a great bassist too.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='262750' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:49 PM']I mentioned Victor Wooten earlier in this thread for his effortless coolness, but I don't quite know how to classify Bootsy Collins. Cool or utterly insane??
You decide!
[/quote]

Umm hard one to decide...... We could say hes like a "incoolsane", like a mixture of the two.