Why become a member? ×

How good are you?

beerdragon

I've been to a couple of Pubs tonight and watched some bands. there was some really good bass players in some not so good bands, either the guitarist/singer was'nt as good as they thought they were or the drummer was crap, but the bass players i saw were spot on. one band the guy had Warwick through trace 4x10 and a Fender cab and another was playing a Variax through an Ashdown rig, after, i felt inadequate. sometimes its better not to watch other peoples playing, :) in other words someone always has a better sound than you. and their playing is on the ball but during your own gig there's always little things to annoy you.

Edited by beerdragon

I have been told that I'm quite good technically and in what I play i.e it fits the music. I've also been told that our singer isn't exactly fantastic by people who claim they can sing better, and that their band is so much better, despite them being utter sh1te. All relative I suppose.
Zach

I think it depends on the band I'm playing in, if they're sh*t then my playing tends to suffer. Take the last band I was in, the drummer was OK for his age but still had a lot to learn and needed to build up his stamina. The guitarist/singer was not so good, couldn't sing in key and struggled to play at the same time.

The band I am currently in is very different. I'm probably the weakest player out of the 3 of us but I feel that I have been dragged up to somewhere near their standard. It gives me more motivation to practice the songs, scales etc more often and feel I have become a better player for it.

Luckily I am the best bass player in our band.

EDIT: On a serious note I am good enough for what I do and enjoy the challenges of trying to play new stuff that I haven't yet mastered. There's always something to learn and you can learn from most people.

Also, when you see a band you really don't notice their little mistakes as much as you do your own when you are playing.

I also have this philosophy when playing live of sometimes just playing what comes out and not worrying about it and letting it come from within which I know sounds cheesy but at least what you play is your own then and sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't but its only music!

Steve

Edited by birdy

John lennon was asked if he thought that Ringo was the best drummer in the world. he replied saying "he's not the best drummer in the beatles"

I am confident in my abilities. i haven't heard anyone better than me in any pub or band setting ever. i don't believe that this is showing off, I simply believe that there aren't any decent players near where I live.

Its been a help and a hindrance. Its given me all the work I need but its stopped me from becoming better than I am now.

I love playing but am not big headed; leave that to the guitarists.

I'm very good - I ought to be after doing it for 30 odd years. I was watching one of our secretary's typing in the office. She's very good at that for the same reason.

Am I better or worse than I should be after 30 years practise?? No idea - probably because I don't give a toss. I've seen guys been playing 12 months doing a competent job and guys at it longer than me making a right fishes arse of it.

There'll be folk on here can just about play a simple slap line. That makes them 'better' than me in one sense. Folk who know loads of theory and who have excellent technique - that makes them 'better' then me in other ways.

Get Steve Harris , Mark King , Abe Laboriel , Flea - not bothered who - stick 'em 6 ft in front of me at a gig and it wouldn't phase me in the slightest. Bring 'em on. They might even learn something - about entertaining , sound , hear a particular line they like , the same as I'll try and learn something next time I'm in front of a 17yr old with his first Squier.

That's how it works.

I've heard a lot of better/worse players than me but the important thing is that I'm competent at playing & confident in my band.
Yes the drummer gets the wrong tempo now & again and the guitarist never plays the same thing twice (EVER). But they both sound good & no one knows if it's meant to go like that or not as it is original material.
My singer is pretty much pitch perfect & quite often he sings parts of songs different from a previous version. I think I'm the only one who plays the same thing twice but I wouldn't swap my band members for anyone else 'cause what they play is what I like & fits in perfectly.

Now that I've got myself a MuRF the drummer's gonna have to try & keep timing with me (I might need a tap tempo switch for this one!), but if he doesn't, I can make use of it's animator in my other band that has no drummer (it's acoustic folk country blues jazz type stuff).

But overall, I'm a very good bassist. I can play what I need with fingers or pick, I can tap, but not as good as Mr Sheehan (his Talas years learned me a lot), I can slap, but not as good as Flea or Mr Wooten and I can play fast fills, scales etc.

Most importantly, I can play what's needed to make a song sound good & keep time with the band.

G

I have a low opinion of my playing with all the instruments that I abuse. I can't help but focus on all the negatives. I also find that generally the internet is awash with people who just can't wait to tell you how crap you are!

On the plus side - If I play any instrument to a non-musician they think I am amazing! (er .......... but I'm probably not!)

It is all subjective, but on the basis that people dance to the bass and drums, I do a good job, I love seeing a crowded venue, with people enjoying themselves, and if as a band we can achieve that, then we have all done our job. I am often faced with other local bass players watching what I do, which generally isn't technical, but is right for the song, so, again I am doing my job, and enjoyinmg it.

I remember one guitarist I worked with who was a supreme musician saying to me, ' I never have to worry about you, you are always there solid in the background', and I took this as a compliment, because often if we are all doing are jobs well, we almost become invisible sonically, punters don't notice because we are locked to bass drums and complimenting harmony lines and supporting the front line, but if we stopped..............................HUGE HOLE.

Does that all make sense?

I'm a basic player... no flash fills etc. R5, R5... repeat if necessary. I heven't got the time or drive to practice more. I should do really but some things are more important to me.
However, I'm pleased with the noise I make, as are my other band members and people who hear us play. And I enjoy making that noise. I suppose thats all that matters.

[quote name='Golchen' post='364644' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:20 AM']I have a low opinion of my playing with all the instruments that I abuse. I can't help but focus on all the negatives. I also find that generally the internet is awash with people who just can't wait to tell you how crap you are!

On the plus side - If I play any instrument to a non-musician they think I am amazing! (er .......... but I'm probably not!)[/quote]
You are crap, You are not amazing,why do you even bother breathing.....ugh....I bet you tune up too

I AM THE GREATER INTERNET MASS......CONFORM...CONSUME...OBEY!
:)