Why become a member? ×

Anyone digging the early ninties UK jazz/funk/soul??

bubinga5

Hey...just having an evening of ninties jazz funk and soul..(with a few friends) after loosing Young Disiples, "road to freedom" ages ago, i bought this great album once again,what a fantastic album.. also artists i love, such as Urban Species, Omar, Galliano, Vibraphonic, Carleen Anderson, Brand New Heavies, Di influence, Raw Stylus.

Cant forget the master, Bluey,.. and his band of Incognito musicians!!

Anyone dig any of these??

Out of them all, I think Incognito rein supreme. Fantastic band live and they always deliver every time I see them (which has been quite a few times).
Their last album (Tales from the Beach) is a cracker. A couple of spin offs worthy of a listen are the Satya Project album 'Shine a Light' and the Inner Shade album '4 Corners'.
Cheers,
Jim

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='363802' date='Dec 26 2008, 05:24 PM']Out of them all, I think Incognito rein supreme. Fantastic band live and they always deliver every time I see them (which has been quite a few times).
Their last album (Tales from the Beach) is a cracker. A couple of spin offs worthy of a listen are the Satya Project album 'Shine a Light' and the Inner Shade album '4 Corners'.
Cheers,
Jim[/quote]Jim im glad u said Inner Shade,, tis great album..Yeah Tales from the beach is a cracker, Julian Crampton's bass work on the title track is great..Dont know if u know, but bluey has an album out with Tony Remy called First Protocal, Also u may want to listen to the All Star Collective and Real People, who i think he produced... check it out..He seems to do alot of spin off bands like that..Havent heard of Satya Project, will check it out thankyou...

And yes the best band ive ever seen live, Bluey a very nice man too..

Saw Incognito in 1995 at the Ilford Island (I think it was) and they were amazing.. Can't remember who was on drums but Max Beesley was on precussion and the amazing Randy hope Taylor on bass; fantastic. Always loved 'Apparently Nothing' by Young Disciples too.. Some really good British artists around then. Oh, and what a bassline on 'There's Nothing Like This'!

I'm a real fan of a lot of this stuff.

Seen Incognito several times but not sure about them these days when they play at the Jazz Cafe. I think it's too small to really get their dance atmosphere going (and usually I always prefer to see people in small venues). I much preferred them at the Forum in Kentish Town.

One of my favourites from this era is the full 12" version of Dream Come True by BNH. Not sure if this is on YouTube anywhere - must have a hunt, but currently in a "quiet zone" without headphones :)

If anyone likes Julian Crampton's playing, he's available to teach at the moment and he also did some sterling work with Joey Negro in the Sunburst Band. The band did its first live gig in a number of years in November. So I hope they're planning to do a few more yet.

[quote name='clauster' post='365340' date='Dec 29 2008, 10:22 AM']+1 to Corduroy.

And thanks to Bubinga5 for starting this thread. I'm listening to Mother Earth's "Stoned Woman" right now :)[/quote]
Neil corcoran from mother earth is a great bass player,people tree is a wicked album,anyone know what hes up to now?

[quote name='leschirons' post='366614' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:03 PM']Incognito, superb. been trying to nail "Colibri" from Tribes,Vibes & Scribes for about 50 years now. Got the notes, got the speed, got the groove. Just can't seem to keep it going for what feels like 20 minutes. Ha ha.[/quote]Vibe, weed, press play.
I don't imbibe combustables anymore but this kind of music was a beautiful comedown to Plastik Man, Secret Knoweledge, Sabres of Paradise, Black Dog, Underworld, Ultramarine, Fluke, Derek May, I feel another thread coming on.

[quote name='leschirons' post='366614' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:03 PM']Incognito, superb. been trying to nail "Colibri" from Tribes,Vibes & Scribes for about 50 years now. Got the notes, got the speed, got the groove. Just can't seem to keep it going for what feels like 20 minutes. Ha ha.[/quote]
Just from interest, Leschirons, im sure you know, but are you using the open string notes on Colibri? if not tis tricky otherwise..By the way, anyone who likes this stuff should check out a band called...'The Rebirth.'. aband from NYC..believe me these guys are good..

One of those albums that there is not bad song on...

Edited by bubinga5

I am almost certain that I was at this gig too! I think that it was the Everyday tour? I still have the T-shirt from the gig upstairs!!

If you like the Incognito stuff then you should check out a band called Citrus Sun and an album called Another Time Another Space. There is a track called Make Me Smile and it is awesome. I believe that this is most of the musos from Incognito but with the legendary Jim Mullen on guitar instead of Bluey.

Have you seen the Incognito live DVD which has Max Beesley on percussion? Plays a brilliant vibes solo on one track -very talented guy what with acting, music and shagging Mel B too!

Saw another great gig in 95/96 and it was called Jazz Iz in Islington and it lasted all day and we saw D Influence, Maceo Parker, JTQ and Jamiroquai it was a great day and nearly as good as the Phoenix Festival that year which had Freakpower, JTQ, Jessica Lauren, Brand New Heavies, George Clinton and Raw Stylus all in one day - good times.

Love all this music and just wish that it was still being produced and also that the artists made more money! In The Hand of Inevitable by JTQ is a fantastic album but I bet hardly anyone has ever heard of it and it probably did not sell many copies compared to other genres.

I would class Jamiroquai as in this league for their first 3 albums but sadly not anymore!

Agreed that People Tree by Mother Earth is also a peach of an album!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='363990' date='Dec 26 2008, 11:48 PM']Saw Incognito in 1995 at the Ilford Island (I think it was) and they were amazing.. Can't remember who was on drums but Max Beesley was on precussion and the amazing Randy hope Taylor on bass; fantastic. Always loved 'Apparently Nothing' by Young Disciples too.. Some really good British artists around then. Oh, and what a bassline on 'There's Nothing Like This'![/quote]