Why become a member? ×

Are you a member of TalkBass?

acidbass

I have been a member since 2004. I originally joined for double bass info- the DB side of the board is a goldmine, especially compared to (for example) the DB section here- lots of very knowledgeable folks eager to share. I'm more selective as to what I browse on the BG side- there is a lot of "OMGZ th1s ba55 iz teh rox" type posting but its usually fairly simple to avoid them. If you need info about a certain piece of gear the odds are someone has owned it.

Also, I like the moderation style- its is strict but the rules are there to read and it seems fair to me. When you have such a massive membership there has to be compromised made and I think they've done quite well. All IMO/IME naturally.

I can honestly say, that I don't find TB at all cliquey, quite the contrary, they're very welcoming, and have thousands of members from all over the planet.

And cliquey and unfriendly (verging on racist ?) is this comment "our inferior trans-atlantic brethren".

I find the majority of talkbass contributors to be extremely friendly, honest and very helpful, actually much like the majority of people on here.

Sure, you'll find the odd one or two people who go out of their way to be annoying, but you find people like that on here, or anywhere else.

They do have a slight obsession with TI flatwound strings though lol.

Edited by 6stringbassist

[quote name='mrcrow' post='363029' date='Dec 24 2008, 06:59 PM']i am a newbie but enjoy the breadth of the forum topics and the uk based chat

i am not keen on TB but am a long standing member of hcbf and ebassist
bloody both mate! :)[/quote]

ah Mr Crow. I remember you, I used HCBF for about 7 years but didn't post all that often.

I'm a member on TB and use it mainly for info on gear that's more commonly used over there, but I never post anything.

IMO and having read quite a lot of stuff on there, it does in places have a slighly sanctimonious 'Christian' ethic about it that to a godless/pagan/aetheist like me is a bit too much to deal with on a regular basis.. Otherwise, it's very good and very informative as a resource for all things bass.

But I am shocked to learn that people have been banned from mentioning something as innocuous as the fact that the British Prime Minister plays guitar.. :)

Overall, I much prefer Basschat which I like to think of is a very good reflection of the diversity of opinion, humour and personality of British people..

I got a little bored with "So I'm playing with my Church Band" or "Playing with my Worship Group last Sunday"every second or third post. It seems as though there are only a minority who post on there actually play in the Real World. I too am amazed at the amount of power you "must have" to play in a bedroom or a Rehearsal Room/Garage. I'll keep my battered old Trace rig, and easily fill most Venues I play with its measly 350 watts, without P.A. support, thanks very much. I'll also stay here, where there is a certain amount of sanity about how much you need to spend to sound good. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to post there. :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='363074' date='Dec 24 2008, 08:33 PM']IMO and having read quite a lot of stuff on there, it does in places have a slighly sanctimonious 'Christian' ethic about it that to a godless/pagan/aetheist like me is a bit too much to deal with on a regular basis..[/quote]

The Christian Praise & Worship Club!!

So talented but ohhh so pious and delluded. It's a damn shame.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='363084' date='Dec 24 2008, 08:50 PM']The Christian Praise & Worship Club!!

So talented but ohhh so pious and delluded. It's a damn shame.[/quote]

Sometimes I have imagined trying to set up the TB 'Agnostics, Atheists, and other [s]Troublemakers[/s]Sceptics Club'.

Or even the 'I Own a Bass Club'.

Of course [s]we are[/s] I am never pious and deluded.

I've got a good 1000 and odd posts over at TB and been a member age. Although i agree with the sentiment that the guys on here just seem more genuine and there isn't as much of an e-penis factor on here as there is on TB, which is always a plus :) It has it's merits, as does here i'm happy i have the choice more than anything :huh:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='363096' date='Dec 24 2008, 09:10 PM']Sometimes I have imagined trying to set up the TB 'Agnostics, Atheists, and other [s]Troublemakers[/s]Sceptics Club'.

Or even the 'I Own a Bass Club'.

Of course [s]we are[/s] I am never pious and deluded.[/quote]

They seemingly start clubs over anything and everything, a classic American sentiment.

Whereas on here, what we've got, well there are:

Those with Shukers.
Those without Shukers.
Pencil Lead Fever!
A loose association of bastards.
& Bilbo's Jazz Appreication Society. (Population: 1)

And thats really about it :).

Edited by Josh

I still post on there occasionally, although I can't be bothered anymore with the epic flame-wars with people like Bruce Lindfield- I recall he was arguing vehemently that the Roscoe Beck 4string version would never go into production.....and guess what, it did and the 5 has been phased out...

Talkbass is so big that it's a mix of complete contrasts.

[quote name='acidbass' post='362851' date='Dec 24 2008, 03:04 PM']Just interested as to how many of our members have joined/actively use Talkbass!

Personally I've never felt the need to use it as I find this forum a lot more relevant and informative. The idea of dealing with our inferior trans-atlantic brethren doesn't exactly appeal to me either!

Actually, on that note, I'm just wondering what gear I'd currently be using had it not been for Basschat. I can't even begin to think how much this forum has affected my buying (and selling) habits :)

Danny[/quote]

I am and i totally disagree with your comments. I blame TB for all my GAS. I first learnt about Schroeder, Lakland, MarkBass and The Fenders ive owned from TB. I find it moves a lot quicker over there, not saying thats good or bad but i find when i log on there seems to always be a good handful of new threads.
But maybe thats just me and in no way knocking BC. Being UK based i guess its a lot easier to buy and sell things on BC but with a lot of UK members on TB its not as USA biased as it used to seem.
They do seem a bit less forgiving sometimes but on the whole i love it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the "clubs" very funny thing to do but i am in a couple of them so cant really put them down too much.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Josh' post='363099' date='Dec 24 2008, 09:20 PM']They seemingly start clubs over anything and everything, a classic American sentiment.[/quote]
It also provides us with an endless supply of so called "Americanisms" or us to laugh at :) Yes there's plenty wrong with TB but to demean it simply because its full of Americans is pretty idiotic IMHO. I won't disagree that some people's sigs etc get pretty irritating, but people on TB talking about playing in church is no different to people on here talking about playing the Dog And Duck every weekend, and both are just as valid. If you don't want to talk about religion (or anything else) its fairly simple to avoid it.

I am a member there and it was from TB that the idea for a UK based forum originally came. I still have lots of friends 'over there' and enjoy it a lot. A lot of it doesn't make any sense to be being English but then I wouldn't expect Americans on here to understand us totally either. As long as you keep things centred around our one language, that of the bass, the folk there seem nice enough, apart from one or two people who get on my wick lol)

Cheers
ped

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='363138' date='Dec 24 2008, 11:03 PM']If you don't want to talk about religion (or anything else) its fairly simple to avoid it.[/quote]

Thats all well and good and luckily, on here we haven't got threads or anything similar to the likes of what they have on there. But I've read through so many threads on there which aren't even tied in with Gospel or anything and then a delluded peon has to come and bring Religion into it and then they all start chipping in. It is avoidable sometimes, but alot of the times it's lurking.

On the whole, TB is a very Religious forum and thats purely from the way our countries both approach it. The TB mods seem to endorse Religion, whereas, our mods respect the fact that in England, Religion is more of a sensitive subject and should at best try to be avoided because it has nothing much to with bass playing, besides Church gigs of course, which is completely agreeable and everyone just trots along. It does come up on here from time to time as you've seen yourself, but it's more or less always a debate and is usually kept within the bounds of sensible discussion.

I enjoy the debate when they arise, though I'm getting a little tired of tip-toeing over it.

Anyways, pushing this thread back onto the right tracks, I did a nice 30 mintues worth of gawping at some georgous Roscoes.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='363180' date='Dec 25 2008, 12:51 AM']Never have, never will. How long would I last ?[/quote]

Actually, I think you'd give them a very good run for their money, they'd love your almost Southern style hostility, that is, until you finally cross the line and say something about their imaginary playmate.

Edited by Josh

Been on there for years, and have around 1800 posts or so (not that many in the grand scheme of things). It's a great resource for gear-related info, but it is hugely US-centric (even as a Brit who's been in the US for the last 14 months), and many posters' (and mods') attitudes to religion, guns, other countries, etc irritate the hell out of me.

I much prefer the vibe here. But the Lobby, and, formerly, Tin Pan Alley were always good for a laugh. :)