Why become a member? ×

Love Unlimited - bass solo discovery!

casapete

Just had Magic Soul on the radio, and they played this. I've never noticed the nearly 2 minute long solo on the end - maybe it's because DJ's always talk over it or maybe just an extended version. Solo kicks in around 4mins 55 sec. Produced by Barry White around 1972. Enjoy.

• Like 4

I love what BW did. He wasn't known as 'The Maestro' for nothing!

His 70's output is pure soul gold. I'm not much of a fan of when the 80's rolled in - he stopped using live musicians on record, went down the machines route. Sadly, the results were not on a par with his older luxurious productions, so well arranged by Gene Page.

The whole soul 'loverman' got to be a bit of a parody for a while (Lenny Henry amongst others), and maybe for some, that may have prevented their actually giving BW a serious listen. A real shame, as those classic-era albums are just stocked full of outstanding grooves. On radio, you only ever hear the same couple of tracks....he had so much better.

His autobiography is a great read, too. He came from nothing to rise to where he did. Really inspirational. He died, sadly, relatively young (58), and the last I read, the family were still arguing over his estate. Not nice.

Whilst Love Unlimited are in the topic, my fave album is probably their last, 'Love Is Back'.

That could be Wilton Felder on bass. I've read that he used a Precision in the studio. He was the 1st call bass player in LA and did most of Barry White's sessions around this time. When he moved on he was replaced by a very young Nathan East.