Why become a member? ×

Jazz or Precision!? - Advice Required

bassatnight

People,

I am really in two minds between purchasing a Precision or a Jazz or possibly the P Hybrid (P special).
I own an old Aria SB1000 which is a thing of beauty but I feel its sound is close to that of a Jazz so what I would really like is an instrument with a much fatter sound so the P would seem to be the answer. Ideally I would like both but following a recent redundacy buying the two might be pushing it with 'her in doors' mind you with three years salary perhaps a Wal or similar ;-)

So what instrument would be best - the P or the J??

Anyone out there an expert in both that could give me a brief run down of the sound difference? I have a budget of £500 to play with.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='356725' date='Dec 17 2008, 10:34 AM']So what instrument would be best - the P or the J??[/quote]

Best just to try them out at a local Fender dealer.

Lakland also do versions of both that are well worth a try, you could perhaps get them for about £500 secondhand. Here's a Lakky that went for £575: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33216&hl=lakland"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=lakland[/url]

Another off-the-top-of-the-head (and perhaps too pricey) option could be to build a Jazz using Warmoth parts and perhaps drop in some Dark Star pickups to get a huge sound. Like this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30338"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30338[/url]

Cheers-

Edited by rjb

I'm no expert but I reckon you may be able to pick up a second hand S1 Jazz for about £500. The S1 switch wires the pickups in series to give a much fatter sound similar to a P. Best of both worlds in one instrument.

Alternatively, adding a series switch to a standard J is cheap and pretty simple to do (so I've heard).

[quote]I'm no expert but I reckon you may be able to pick up a second hand S1 Jazz for about £500. The S1 switch wires the pickups in series to give a much fatter sound similar to a P. Best of both worlds in one instrument.[/quote]

Aha! +1 to this, then. They have these in their American and American Deluxe series, apparently.

Edited by rjb

i had a jazz with s1 switching & it did beef up the sound but it didn't sound much like a precision to me :)
you need to play them both back to back & decide what you like best.
i used to have both jazz & p basses but when gigged back to back i found the jazz sounds very thin compared to a precision & my band agree.mind we only have 1 guitar drummer & me :huh: so i need to fill out the sound & a nice thumping precision does just that.
but as pointed out above a good precision with the added jazz bridge pick is the best of both worlds.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='357220' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:22 PM']Or if you can run to it a Fender American Deluxe Precision has P pickup in the sweet spot and a double J at the bridge.

Expensive new but s/h can be got for £600 or so.

I love mine.[/quote]

well said
i love mine too,the best bass i ever played period.

if you can get one of these at a good price do it--you'll never regret it.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='357401' date='Dec 17 2008, 10:47 PM']There's no useful answer. They're so different. I quite like Ps and I hate the neck on a J and even more the utter stupidity of 2 volume controls. Having said that, what do I know, everybody seems to play a J :) [b]Playing a Precision, in particular, says something about you - punk/rock.[/b][/quote]

I have different preconceptions - Precision says to me Motown/Stax. :huh:

I playd Jazz (or Jazz-like) basses for 20 years. I owned one or two Precisions in my late teens and twenties and always thought they sounded a bit 'clanky' compared to the greater smoothness, more immediate response and better versatility of a Jazz. Then I bought a Jap 62 P-bass reissue about six months ago and have hardly picked up a Jazz since.

At least in my case, it's taken more feel, subtlety and experience to make a Precision sound good. In a band, you have to time things slightly differently and push the beat more with a Precision, as it's fundamental comes in slightly later than a Jazz. You also need to bear in mind that harmonics are going to be trickier.

My problem with P-Js is that they're neither one thing nor the other. You just can't get them to sound like a Jazz with both pups going because of the wiring, which also means you don't get quite the same Precision honk. If I was just beginning I'd go for a Jazz tbh.