Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (was going to be 23" but ended up 27"...)

Jabba_the_gut

I'd love to get a sneaky look into the future to see what other stuff you have surplus.  At the rate you're working just lately it's likely to be a little treasure trove.

Thanks for the info on hardware.  £250 for the ABM unit tuners and headpiece or £150 for the Nova system.  It's really not as bad as I thought.

19 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I have to say, I'm really liking this 27" scale. It's very comfortable to play hence why I'm making another. I'm just torn between everything (active electronics and side LED fret markers) 

Just go mad. Go big or go home 😉

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Go big or go home 😉

Doesn't really work does it, as we're all at home and Jez builds his basses at home anyway.

"Ho hum", said Pooh

Or if you read it in the original Latin, '"hous humus", dixi Pooh'

Edited by Si600
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Meant to put these details up before - final weight of this was 3.2kg / 7lb and overall length 92cm / 3ft.

Can't put it down...….

Excelent.. so you won't be needing those 23" basses any more then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nice to have a day off today. Been working on another 27" bass in spalted beech again. Had a piece left from the previous bass so marked it up for cutting - odd shape but sufficient for his build.

First, I placed the templates on to work out which was would avoid any of the knots or faults in the wood and look the best when done (always a bit of a guess with spalted beech when you are going to carve some of it as it changes pattern throughout it's thickness)

qOsmjDV.jpg

Then marked the line to cut:

gBCbk94.jpg

and ended up with this which lines up quite nicely across the join:

JIt9qww.jpg

I've also been practicing making scarf joints and have a nice selection of blanks for a neck:

4BPKnb0.jpg

I've got another body glued up made from ash which may also get turned into one of these.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

May I ask; Is the red neck blank Sapele?

Nope, it’s paduak if I remember right. The dust from sanding was very, very orange!!

I did make a fretless neck from sapele that was fitted to that reclaimed door bass I made a couple of years back. I’ll dig a picture out for you.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I did make a fretless neck from sapele that was fitted to that reclaimed door bass I made a couple of years back. I’ll dig a picture out for you.

Much appreciated.  I have a piece that might serve as the centre lamination in my neck through.

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Much appreciated.  I have a piece that might serve as the centre lamination in my neck through.

This is it. I dismantled the bass quite a while back - really should put it back together again! Sapele laminated with I think two strips of wenge and some other random hardwood.

XOaPgmN.jpg

I was looking at this recently as it was my first attempt at a scarf joint that worked really well because I cannot see the join.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

This is it. I dismantled the bass quite a while back - really should put it back together again! Sapele laminated with I think two strips of wenge and some other random hardwood.

XOaPgmN.jpg

I was looking at this recently as it was my first attempt at a scarf joint that worked really well because I cannot see the join.

That's a scarf?????????

Good heavens!

I think it might be the way sapele works and joins. You can see the join line on the back of the headstock but you cannot see the join from the sides at all. If I veneered the back of the head it would be complete!y invisible! I've actually been looking at doing this and reusing the neck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

XOaPgmN.jpg

Go on, give us a clue!

Where, on there, is the join? That's amazing.

17 hours ago, Simon. said:

Go on, give us a clue!

Where, on there, is the join? That's amazing.

Here's a picture from a different angle. You can see the join on the back of the headstock - the other end is halfway between the first and second fret line.

w9A4nGQ.jpg

• Like 2

One very last little bit to this build, I made a truss rod cover from a leftover piece of ebony. As I decide not to put a logo on the headstock as I think it would have been too much, I decided to put a little mother of pearl logo on the truss rod cover.

depMbA3.jpg

That's it, job done. On to the next!

Cheers for the comments and feedback - much appreciated!

Take care.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 5