Why become a member? ×

Most unusual / obscure song you play

HeavyJay

We play anything from Wilson Picket to Metallica but I think the most obscure one we have played was the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs: Phenomenon. I hated it though cause they dont have a bass player so I just kinda grooved around in E.

Also we used to play The Music: Take the long road but only one of my mates knew it and if he wasnt there it was just wasted.

We're not a cover band, but we needed to fill some time, so we did a few things.

The Dr Who jam.

Think crunchy distorted bass and a lot of whammy/pitch shifting on guitar. Sounded quite good IMO.

But song wise, would probably be Blood Sugar by Pendulum. Gets all our mates pumped up and it's good fun to play.

[quote name='Merton' post='352813' date='Dec 12 2008, 03:40 PM']We don't do obscure songs, as we're there to get the wedding crowd/party crowd on the dancefloor. We'd love to play Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Maiden) or Overture (early Def Leppard) but we'd never get paid at the end of the gig.[/quote]

Schoolboy error mate, get the money first! :)

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='352832' date='Dec 12 2008, 03:50 PM']Schoolboy error mate, get the money first! :)[/quote]
9 times out of 10 we do actually. Good point. F**k it, the wedding on the 21st of December is going ot get Rime of the Ancient Mariner, followed by some Rush or something :huh:

I just edited out all the more familliar covers from the set list of my covers band Chainsaw (note NOT now playing tonight* at the Blues Bar, Harrogate).

Here's what was left...

Call me the breeze [JJ Cale/Lynyrd Skynyrd]
Cheating on you [Jon Cleary/Taj Mahal]
Everybody went low [John Hiatt]
Good ol’ boys [Steve Earl]
I found love [Lone Justice]
Jealous again [Black Crowes]
Keep your hands to yourselves [Georgia Satellites]
Slow turning [John Hiatt]
Something wild [John Hiatt]
Start the car [Jude Cole]

*But Street Legal are

[quote name='Merton' post='352837' date='Dec 12 2008, 03:52 PM']9 times out of 10 we do actually. Good point. F**k it, the wedding on the 21st of December is going ot get Rime of the Ancient Mariner, followed by some Rush or something :)[/quote]

My wedding barn dance band gets heckled for Stairway and Smoke on the Water - hardly obscure but not "expected" from a barn dance band. We still do it ..
We did Je T'aime a few gigs ago after a heckle/request

May try Inagadadavida on Saturday as keyboard Dave is playing the gig but I guess after it was on The Simpsons that may not count as obscure ...

In the 80s the synth band I was in use to do a cover of "Summer Wine" as a joke encore

Here's the original:

It was complete nightmare to play on mono synths, but the audience loved it. So much so that we eventually had to stop playing it because we attracted a following that only wanted to hear this song and would shout for it all through the set. Not what you want when rest of your set is dark and moody synth rock with heaps of distortion...