Why become a member? ×

Clever time signature changes.

bubinga5

20 hours ago, toneknob said:

And the main bit of Awaken starting at 2m20s

And this is probably my all-time favourite track, although I never thought the live versions were quite as good as the album version, largely due to the size of Rick's organ. 😉😂

Here's a fabulous version which isn't even Yes, bar Jon:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 4000 said:

And this is probably my all-time favourite track, although I never thought the live versions were quite as good as the album version, largely due to the size of Rick's organ. 😉😂

Here's a fabulous version which isn't even Yes, bar Jon:

Those Tod songs with Jon Anderson are amazing. Look for State Of Independence, Heart Of The Sunrise, Owner of a Lonely Heart, and Roundabout as well

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

7/8 bit kicks in at 0:52. Not as complex as most of those already cited, but I used to play this in a club band and one of the clubs we played at had line dancers. That gave us considerable entertainment.

I think it's actually 7/4?  

Wuthering Heights is in 4/4, but the chorus goes through 4/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4.

On the coda (or end solo), the Drummer seems to drop the snare out on a couple of bars like he has lost the meter. If it is a fluff, he covers it well. :D

At 4:01...

Edited by lowdown

4 hours ago, 4000 said:

1 of my all-time favourite tracks right there, although (and I know this will be blasphemy to some) I prefer the Seconds Out version, which I heard first. 

Fair point, I think I do too and that version of Firth of Fifth - Steve Hackett insists on playing the album version at his shows complete with piano intro which is a drag. 

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Fair point, I think I do too and that version of Firth of Fifth - Steve Hackett insists on playing the album version at his shows complete with piano intro which is a drag

Oooh, controversial. Do you prefer the Tokyo Tapes version, with neither intro nor keys solo in the middle? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVw7KgmD3Gs about 12mins in)

That intro for time sig fans: 

||: 4/4 12/8 2/4 4/4 13/8 :||
4/4
||: 13/8 :|| x4
||: 15/8 :|| x4
||: 4/4 13/8 :|| x3
4/4 12/8 2/4
4/4 12/8 2/4 4/4 13/8
4/4 12/8 2/4 4/4 4/4 4/4 4/4

Edited by toneknob

Can I throw in Shudder To Think here? They were a four piece post-hardcore band from Washington DC.

There's quite a bit content over You Tube.  They were weird enough during the first couple of albums, I mean on the album Get Your Goat, you'd get more going on in a two minute song than a load of bands would do on one side of an album, it was wonderfully listenable, but from a playing perspective it was impossible.  Things took a swerve when original guitarist Chris Matthews left and Nathan Larson came on board, he just took things to new levels of strange.  

Interestingly, I'd cite Stuart Hill (their bass player) as somewhat of an influence (and hero), especially with some of the stuff I'm doing with Lutz at the moment; I tracked him down (via Nathan Larson) a few years ago.  'Just shoot him a message,' said Nathan, 'he'll answer.'   And amazingly, he did.  We discussed a ton of the material they put out.  It was nice when Bass Player did a piece on me and he thanked me for the mention.

Edited by NancyJohnson

John Lennon used some odd timings in some of his songs.

Dont Let Me Down has a 5/4 for half a verse into a 4/4,

And Good Morning, Good Morning is all over the place with some beauties including 5/4, 3/4 and 4/4.

Good luck trying to dance to it! 😂

On 05/03/2019 at 06:21, NancyJohnson said:

Can I throw in Shudder To Think here? They were a four piece post-hardcore band from Washington DC.

There's quite a bit content over You Tube.  They were weird enough during the first couple of albums, I mean on the album Get Your Goat, you'd get more going on in a two minute song than a load of bands would do on one side of an album, it was wonderfully listenable, but from a playing perspective it was impossible.  Things took a swerve when original guitarist Chris Matthews left and Nathan Larson came on board, he just took things to new levels of strange.  

Interestingly, I'd cite Stuart Hill (their bass player) as somewhat of an influence (and hero), especially with some of the stuff I'm doing with Lutz at the moment; I tracked him down (via Nathan Larson) a few years ago.  'Just shoot him a message,' said Nathan, 'he'll answer.'   And amazingly, he did.  We discussed a ton of the material they put out.  It was nice when Bass Player did a piece on me and he thanked me for the mention.

I'm listening to Ten Spot on Bandcamp now, as DC, post-hardcore and clever use of time signatures sounds ticks a lot of boxes for me