Why become a member? ×

Pino Pallidino Fender Precision

WHUFC BASS

Honestly, this is not a troll post before anybody suggests it is, but can anyone explain to me why it costs nearly 4 grand for a PP Fender Precision:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-custom-shop-pino-palladino-precision-bass/2227?gclid=CjwKCAiA9qHhBRB2EiwA7poaeD37arw8BcQARGpDotfLyy4Abx34vS_hrWV91dinIXkILuh84W3bhBoC4MkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The "Unique Features" they state come with it are: Vintage Styling, Shows natural wear and tear of years of heavy use, nicks, scratches, worn finish rusty hardware and aged plastic parts. Cable, strap and case.

FOUR GRAND ? REALLY?

• Haha 2

It`s a strange one. I`ve played one of these and it was easily the best bass - not just P-bass - that I`ve ever played. But was it really 4 times as good as my US Precision, well probably not. I think when they were £2500 new they were overpriced, 4 grand is just daft. To my basic view of thinking the MIMs are priced properly at about £600, the US should be at a grand or £1100, and then Custom Shop ones at about the £1800 to 2 grand mark. But then that`s probably why I don`t run a hugely successful business making and selling instruments.

It baffles me that this bass is modelled on a vintage Precision that Pino owned and sells for more than a vintage Precision sells for. Even if you took a Fender Custom shop bass and stuck decent replacement pickups in, you'd have a lot of change out of 4 grand. I'm not too keen on the artificial relic'ing that they've done on this and especially if it bumps the price up to 4 grand either. I think Fender's logic must be that SOMEONE will buy it so we'll charge that much.

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Honestly, this is not a troll post before anybody suggests it is, but can anyone explain to me why it costs nearly 4 grand for a PP Fender Precision:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-custom-shop-pino-palladino-precision-bass/2227?gclid=CjwKCAiA9qHhBRB2EiwA7poaeD37arw8BcQARGpDotfLyy4Abx34vS_hrWV91dinIXkILuh84W3bhBoC4MkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The "Unique Features" they state come with it are: Vintage Styling, Shows natural wear and tear of years of heavy use, nicks, scratches, worn finish rusty hardware and aged plastic parts. Cable, strap and case.

FOUR GRAND ? REALLY?

i agree 4 grand. put a name on it and wow a fool and his/her money are easy parted 

That's what you pay for hand selected parts, hand assembled etc in the US by master craftsmen. 

The team built CS stuff is cheaper and more or less manufactured in a similar way to EBMM stuff - EBMM's necks are hand finished which is where some of the magic occurs along with the woods and finishes. As I understand, many of the CS features are only available as master built. 

We will be getting 'my entry level Squier by Fender P bass is every bit as good as a US or US CS one' threads next - well no it obviously isn't but if the Squier suits your pocket and aspirations then it will no doubt do an adequate job. 

I do worry a little about the resilience of some of these reissue basses made by parts of Fender - didn't someone have a truss rod break on one recently here - not sure if they replaced the bass or not but I would have been pretty furious if they hadn't. 

Edited by drTStingray

The whole original ethos behind all Leo Fenders guitar and basses was good quality but relatively affordable mass produced factory built instruments.

No matter how much Fender claim that the Custom Shop signature range are 'authentic reproductions ' they're actually a long way from what Leo originally had in mind for the brand.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

That's what you pay for hand selected parts, hand assembled etc in the US by master craftsmen. 

I do worry a little about the resilience of some of these reissue basses made by parts of Fender - didn't someone have a truss rod break on one recently here - not sure if they replaced the bass or not but I would have been pretty furious if they hadn't. 

Unfortunately not Don, the Pino basses are team built, and many of the other team builds are over the 3k mark. The Master build basses are even more money than the Pino...

Our friend Hiram had the truss on his Flea Jazz break, but more alarmingly my friend bought a new CS bass that came with a busted truss rod. I can’t believe it left the factory like that as it wouldn’t even adjust anywhere near the position it should have been. Also, the shop didn’t pick up on it either, nor on another second hand CS they sold him with a busted rod. 

Whats the world coming to eh? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Unfortunately not Don, the Pino basses are team built, and many of the other team builds are over the 3k mark. The Master build basses are even more money than the Pino...

Our friend Hiram had the truss on his Flea Jazz break, but more alarmingly my friend bought a new CS bass that came with a busted truss rod. I can’t believe it left the factory like that as it wouldn’t even adjust anywhere near the position it should have been. Also, the shop didn’t pick up on it either, nor on another second hand CS they sold him with a busted rod. 

no one seems to care anymore

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

There's only so much love and care you can put into something so simple, three blocks of wood in the cnc machine and hand sand the edges a bit, a few screws and a lick of paint. 

Fixed ;)

Usually really obvious, especially on a sunburst, with little attempt to match contrasting grain!

4 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I didn't realise they were team-built - so the just over £2k for a Stingray Special doesn't sound expensive in comparison. I guess there's a mark-up for the Pino name then.

How much do they ask for a master-built one? 

Oh and worrying regarding the truss rods. Let's hope they fixed the basses. 

Edited by drTStingray

17 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I didn't realise they were team-built - so the just over £2k for a Stingray Special doesn't sound expensive in comparison. I guess there's a mark-up for the Pino name then.

How much do they ask for a master-built one? 

Oh and worrying regarding the truss rods. Let's hope they fixed the basses. 

I’ve not seen any Masterbuilt basses for sale, as new, but the electric guitars can be £5 - £6.5k on the Coda site. Second hand I’ve seen them around £3- £4k depending.  There is a TB topic that has them pitched at $8k. 

Fender did replace the neck on the new one. Actually I remembered after that the other was a warped neck, not the truss. The shop denied it, crazy. (BTW I spent 16 years in the trade, including Fender, so I knew my onions).

Yes, it does make the Ray Special seem cheaper! :)