Why become a member? ×

Lead through the strap?

lowdowner

I remember reading on here that some people wrap their lead through/around their strap to avoid accidentally pulling it out or stressing the socket on the bass when they’re gigging. I’ve not actually seen this so can anyone explain how to do this - or even show a photo of it? Do most bass players do this?

2 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

put your bass on, and push the lead through between the bass and the strap at the back of the bass and plug in, thats it.

Thanks but I know i’m Sounding a bit dim but I can’t picture this - what is stopping the lead just pulling like it would anyway?

I think the idea is if you can force its path so if its tugged its at an angle to the socket rather than more/less in line, instead of popping out it would put some stress on the lead (but stay plugged in). Obviously it depends on the bass, and what angle the socket comes out at - some angled sockets would mean 'thru-the-strap' would still get pulled out.

I guess its a case of the lesser of two evils - if you're performing, you'd want it to carry on even if it stressed the lead, eg from being stood on. And if not, then you'd want it to flop out rather than risk breakage. 

Personally I use a 90deg angled lead on a Jazz bass (which has the socket straight out the front panel) which offers a bit of protection from being stood on, and the 90deg means its neater and less likely to be knocked etc (and rotates around too). Or a wireless unit which is actually really handy for avoiding the lead or the freedom to wander around further, rather than needing to put the bass down to walk to the other side of the room etc.

I've always fed my lead through the strap (and through a handle on the amp/cab, the idea being that if the lead gets caught, it puts on the strap/amp handle rather than on the plug. Even when learning new material at home, I do this, just a good habit to get into.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I always do it as I'm forever stepping on my lead.

This. It takes less than a second and avoids that schoolboy-error embarrassment as your lead comes out and you look like a total twât. Or more of one. ;)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fleabag said:

Guitar leads ... wha ?

Use these - result.  No chance of inopportune cable ejection

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-wireless-systems/xvive-wireless-guitar-system-in-black

I nearly bought one of these until I tried the guitarists and found out it didn't work on an active bass!