Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

Spector fans, what's happening?

Just saw that Andertons has some great clearance prices for Spector basses. For example, the limited edition Euro LT with the Fishman Fluence preamp and pickups is now £1,999 for both the 4 and 5 string (from £2,439 and £2,479). I used to own a 4 string. Great sounds and looks. Very light too. Only sold it due to the chunky neck shape (ordered it without trying it out first, due to lockdown. Well, lesson learned here). Check it out!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars?#facet:1209510511083116111991075840123493242125324941,30744573456166766758311210199116111114&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

OK... this seems like a sensible place to ask...

I'm thinking of trying a 6 string... just for fun... so one of the ones that pops up when I look around is the Spector Legend 6. Anyone familiar with this and have any thoughts?

Ta.

12 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I thought he had only just got that one with the Sims pickups? 

He got it back in 2017. They are both listed on Spector's website: Euro 4LT Rudy Sarzo (red, Fishman) and Euro 4LX Rudy Sarzo (black, Sims). BD also has a limited edition 4LX in trans blue in stock.  

Speaking of 2017... @Mastodon2 do you remember posting this on the Best and Worst Gear Purchases thread for that year. 

Amused me to read that back, not least as you've been one of the most useful contributors from my perspective with regard to the TonePump on my much loved Euro 5LX!

On 05/11/2017 at 16:58, Mastodon2 said:

Best Purchase: Warwick Thumb BO 5 - the bass I've always wanted. Sounds fantastic, I even like the ergonomics.

Best value: Adamovic Jupiter fretless 4 - Picked it up for a great price, the materials and workmanship are superb.

Worst: This is my "worst", a Spector Euro 5LX - a fantastic bass once the internal preamp trim pot had been turned down, but 35" scale is not for me, so I sold it on.

12 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

I'm thinking of trying a 6 string... just for fun... so one of the ones that pops up when I look around is the Spector Legend 6. Anyone familiar with this and have any thoughts?

Ta.

Is this your first 6 string, do you have budget in mind, what's your preferred neck profile?

Be useful to get a steer on those for some of our resident Spector 6 string users (e.g. @Paulhauser) and non-Spector 6 string gurus (e.g. @binky_bass) to maybe jump in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Speaking of 2017... @Mastodon2 do you remember posting this on the Best and Worst Gear Purchases thread for that year. 

Amused me to read that back, not least as you've been one of the most useful contributors from my perspective with regard to the TonePump on my much loved Euro 5LX!

@mastodon2 is still a Spector owner, he now has a Euro 4. I know this because I have it on loan for a week and it's sat in my front room.

2H9bNk8.jpg

Edited by Chris2112
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yes, I do remember - looking back, that Spector 5 was a great bass, I wish I'd kept it longer. They say time heals all wounds, but the more time that passes, the more I think about what a pile of crap that Adamovic was. Pretty, but sounded as flat as the country it was built in.

After selling that Spector 5, I bought my Euro 4 which I think is the Spector I really wanted, now that is a great bass. My brother has it on loan at the moment as I haven't used it much recently.

Edit: just as I posted, I notice my Euro 4 has turned up in the post above mine!

Edited by Mastodon2

On 27/06/2021 at 01:14, zbd1960 said:

Ta.

Can't go wrong with a Legend 6, they are well built and great quality for the price especially used. Scale lenght and specing is like those of the bigger brothers (Euro 6, NS-6) but with a different headstock and slightly different bridge pu placing. If you wanna have a 6er just for fun, a Legend 6 will more than deliver. 

• Like 1

Wilkinson machine heads x2 sets, gutted the pickups and pre amp. Replaced with EMG’s (thanks again @Eldon Tyrell ). Volume volume tone, jazz style set up, room in there for a second battery so now 18v. (Need to find something to hide the extra/previous hole from having four pots, any suggestions?) A bit of tweaking here and there and I’m now very impressed with it, I’ve put my mark on it anyways 

862F918E-71EF-4B7C-99C9-DB247D8866C7.jpeg

ADD0CAFE-3DAD-47E8-A60E-D8AEB69C7A81.jpeg

50F308C3-4E19-4BC2-8078-60F420446450.jpeg

2694099B-DA55-4CEA-9753-720CE6D0C5A4.jpeg

• Like 1

Dummy switch labelled "P Bass / J Bass" so you don't scare the locals in recording studios.

Alternatively a 'Talent' pot.  Mine goes to 11 but I fear it is still inadequate :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Install a "Producer" control in the spare hole in the cavity. Basically an unconnected volume control which is used to fox the producer in the studio🤣🤣🤣. @KiOgon offers a wide range of "Producer" controls, from heavey metal to modern jazz 🙄🙄

40 minutes ago, ead said:

Dummy switch labelled "P Bass / J Bass" so you don't scare the locals in recording studios.

Alternatively a 'Talent' pot.  Mine goes to 11 but I fear it is still inadequate :(

A dummy pot would craze me have thought about it though. 

Keeping an eye out for a grommet of some description 

PLEASE SIR, PLEASE SIR, 

Can I join

20210704_143323.thumb.jpg.36a7720563cdcd1c46927683f03780ea.jpg

20210704_143329.thumb.jpg.13312e71af777f802191989e0fe3977e.jpg

So one of the bands I play in does a few songs which needed access to a Low B string. My solution was to add a set of BEAD D'Addario Chromes to one of my P basses. This has always worked fine as I normally take two basses to gigs. For a while now I have had this desire to get a 5-string and after reading the comments of Spector Basses I ordered a 5 string Legend Classic from Bass Direct. I know it's not a "Posh" USA or Euro version but I am extremely pleased with the build quality, finish and performance of the Tone Pump Jr & Bartolini Pups.

So please may I be admitted into the regal throng of Spector Bass lovers on Bass Chat? 

Last year, having sourced a Spector Legend Classic body, I built a 32 ins scale Bitsa which frankly is a knockout bass and encouraged me to acquire a proper Spector.

20210704_143504.thumb.jpg.11a328cc107da5f5be570a0a3e13c819.jpg

20210704_143511.thumb.jpg.acc9bb6bb813eaf1b7632a210141ed26.jpg

SpectaRayVibe Anyone???? - Build Diaries - Basschat

Thank you 

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

PLEASE SIR, PLEASE SIR, 

Can I join

20210704_143323.thumb.jpg.36a7720563cdcd1c46927683f03780ea.jpg

20210704_143329.thumb.jpg.13312e71af777f802191989e0fe3977e.jpg

So one of the bands I play in does a few songs which needed access to a Low B string. My solution was to add a set of BEAD D'Addario Chromes to one of my P basses. This has always worked fine as I normally take two basses to gigs. For a while now I have had this desire to get a 5-string and after reading the comments of Spector Basses I ordered a 5 string Legend Classic from Bass Direct. I know it's not a "Posh" USA or Euro version but I am extremely pleased with the build quality, finish and performance of the Tone Pump Jr & Bartolini Pups.

So please may I be admitted into the regal throng of Spector Bass lovers on Bass Chat? 

Last year, having sourced a Spector Legend Classic body, I built a 32 ins scale Bitsa which frankly is a knockout bass and encouraged me to acquire a proper Spector.

20210704_143504.thumb.jpg.11a328cc107da5f5be570a0a3e13c819.jpg

20210704_143511.thumb.jpg.acc9bb6bb813eaf1b7632a210141ed26.jpg

SpectaRayVibe Anyone???? - Build Diaries - Basschat

Thank you 

Cool stuff. Welcome on board; @JohnDaBass. My first Spector bass was also a Legend. I bought it almost exactly 5 years ago (July 9th 2016) from a shop called "Bass Gear" in Twyford. I don't remember the shop owner but he was really nice to me. H even made me a tea. You have to be warned though, playing Spector basses is addictive and will cost you a lot of me. You can trust me on that 😉 

I don't think you have to officially join. It is not a club, just a thread. No one is handing out numbers, well, at least not to my knowledge. The guy who started the thread has not been around for almost two years, so we just carry on talking about Spector basses until he comes back and kicks us all out 😎

P.S. Thinking of it, it may be a club and the first rule is not to talk about it 😉 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2021 at 12:07, Eldon Tyrell said:

New Rudy Sarzo signature bass. Features the Fishman Fluence pickups and preamp. Comes in red. Rudy clearly has good taste 😉

I saw this video on YouTube the other day. In all my years, I've never owned or played a bass that had a delay from playing a note to producing the sound. It sounds like Rudy has found a solution to a problem I didn't even know I had!

1 minute ago, Mastodon2 said:

I saw this video on YouTube the other day. In all my years, I've never owned or played a bass that had a delay from playing a note to producing the sound. It sounds like Rudy has found a solution to a problem I didn't even know I had!

Man, it's called marketing. Selling you products to solve problems you did not know you had in the first place. Genius!

Or to make you buy products you don't need, with money you don't have, to impress people you cannot stand 😉  

On 05/07/2021 at 20:57, TheGreek said:

That'll be our own @molan - they sold some amazing gear. 

Easy to identify which one of us it was by our hair 😂

Phil didn’t much at all

Vic had a giant mane (usually under a beenie)

Barrie was the ‘silver Fox’ 🙈