Why become a member? ×

MM 2018 Stingrays

KiOgon

I've never really felt I needed a Stingray, but the new range is making me a bit moist to be honest.

The roasted necks look beautiful, the bridge looks a whole less clunky than the old model.  If I was on the market for one, I reckon an HH, stealthy black, ebony board.

Stingrays aside, the stealth St Vincent HH is a beautiful thing to behold.

God I would love one of these, any of them! The price is way beyond me though unfortunately.

It has got my brain ticking about just picking up a good used 'Ray and switching all the hardware for aluminium Hipshot gear etc.

Could probably save myself a grand that way!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

@hiram.k.hackenbacker you’re suspiciously quiet in this thread right now... ;) 

This is very true!

Now this new EQ - the bass and treble boost is more powerful than the old 3 band - more in the direction of a Bongo and reminiscent of the 2 band EQ. The mid range is centred differently - seems to be on a par with the mid range cut on the previous 3 band - so you can cut mid range more - the whole EQ is very musical - and very powerful if required. 

A couple more pics to show the sparkle off - I'm extremely pleased with this bass 😎😀

image.thumb.jpeg.c3ce6613dabbf5b7540e7b799ecf863a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d24d451bf6a0a89eabab7aec1ca167b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a64c03ed06219d2c4450bc261105aeb8.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

This is very true!

Now this new EQ - the bass and treble boost is more powerful than the old 3 band - more in the direction of a Bongo and reminiscent of the 2 band EQ. The mid range is centred differently - seems to be on a par with the mid range cut on the previous 3 band - so you can cut mid range more - the whole EQ is very musical - and very powerful if required. 

A couple more pics to show the sparkle off - I'm extremely pleased with this bass 😎😀

image.thumb.jpeg.c3ce6613dabbf5b7540e7b799ecf863a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d24d451bf6a0a89eabab7aec1ca167b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a64c03ed06219d2c4450bc261105aeb8.jpeg

Ooh stop it now 😍😍😍.

I don’t suppose anyone know what other colour HH models Anderton’s have in stock?

29 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Ooh stop it now 😍😍😍.

I don’t suppose anyone know what other colour HH models Anderton’s have in stock?

They had one bass in each colour (except mine) on display last Friday - I think mostly 4H and maybe a 4HH and a 5H - I would ring around and ask but I'm sure they'd take an order for a specific colour/model - if you're willing to put up with the GAS and wait - that's what I did! 

6 hours ago, drTStingray said:

They had one bass in each colour (except mine) on display last Friday - I think mostly 4H and maybe a 4HH and a 5H - I would ring around and ask but I'm sure they'd take an order for a specific colour/model - if you're willing to put up with the GAS and wait - that's what I did! 

It’s the waiting that I’m not too good at 😁

48 minutes ago, Deedee said:

It’s the waiting that I’m not too good at 😁

Me neither - there have been several calls between Andertons and me - their guy Mike has been v helpful though. I took another sparkly picture this morning as this bass glinted at me in the partial light - no flash -  Cripes it is sparkly 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.41bb1c4a281f257e695d1ba9d22358a4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0e71cf3bb9981d7628b92662c534f0a5.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Funnily enough, I have been browsing the Andertons MM stock with interest. I can't make my mind up what colour I like and whether I should get an H or HH. I would be interested to hear what a HH weighs in at if anyone has one?

I'd love the natural / maple H. If i had the cash, I'd be more than happy to splash out.

My only other concern is that I'm very fond of my current Ray... and you know all about me and getting rid of 'excess' basses 😄

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That Burnt Apple 4H at Peach looks fabulous.

I'm liking this a lot!

I have just noticed the new bridge, which while I'm sure it does just as good a job and will be very slightly lighter, does look a bit less substantial without the mounting bolts at the sides. Which I think gave the old non mute bridge a solid look. 

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Sounds about right. My 'Starry Night' took about the same length of time.

Hmm...... funny you should mention that.  I was just thinking earlier that a 4HH Starry Night would make a rather lovely alternative 😁

16 minutes ago, Deedee said:

I enquired about the lead time on a 4HH in Charcoal Sparkle today.  Apparently Strings & Things quoted approximately 9 months 😮

You are probably looking at around 12 months before you receive it!........I have ordered 2 EB Basses and they both took just over 12 months to arrive. There was one Guy over on the EB forum who waited over a year and he was based in the US.......😮

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm not sure you would be able to order a Starry Night. You mind find one in a shop somewhere or second hand though.

Yeah, I was thinking used.  Although I know they’re pretty rare beasts too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m having trouble justifying NOT trying one out. I think I owe it to myself really, especially since every HH I have played has been the weight equivalent of a boat anchor and these new ones seem to have alleviated that problem. Gonna try and get out there this weekend and see what I can find 😀

It seems silly for you not to have one pal, you have some absolutely stunning Ray's and you owe it to them to add the new kid on the block to the family. 

Can't wait to see what you get... :) 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

I quite like a few colours so I wouldn't order I'd wait for a shop to have what I want.

And because my back is stinky poo I'd take my scales with me too! - I've seen on TB that there's been 1 or 2 4HH actually coming in under 8lb!!!

Even it is was the horrible yellow colour I'd have that - after all I've got a shed and a paint stripper!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m having trouble justifying NOT trying one out. I think I owe it to myself really, especially since every HH I have played has been the weight equivalent of a boat anchor and these new ones seem to have alleviated that problem. Gonna try and get out there this weekend and see what I can find 😀

My thoughts exactly. Having been forced from using MM stuff following a shoulder injury, the new Rays definitely have my attention if they can magic up a 4H that weighs less than 8lbs. Anyone who can confirm this please let me know how you got on!

2 hours ago, casapete said:

My thoughts exactly. Having been forced from using MM stuff following a shoulder injury, the new Rays definitely have my attention if they can magic up a 4H that weighs less than 8lbs. Anyone who can confirm this please let me know how you got on!

Talk Bass guys have found 1 or 2 under 8lb.

My old Ray (before I got the router out) was 9.2 (when the average was over 10lb). Very light for a regular Ray 5. The new 5 strings ones are supposed to be about 9.2 on average so I'm going to guess there might be the odd one at 8.8 or so if the buyer can be patient enough to find one.

(Or do what I did and routed under the scratch plate!)

• Like 1