Why become a member? ×

MM 2018 Stingrays

KiOgon

24 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

I'd rather find how far from a Jazz they can get 😎

Plenty of Jazzes about!

I'm trying to see if I can raise the money for a new bass by selling off unused stuff.

I'm torn between a Ray and a Jazz (Probably Fender Elite). The Ray will sound like a Ray. If it can do a passable Jazz with the splits then it would make the decision easier, even if finding the money would be more difficult.

I usually play a 5 - but I've got 2 lovely 5 strings so I'm actually thinking more about a 4 for a change. Give the left hand an easier time of it too.

The HH Ray in position 2 (outer single coils) is close enough to a Jazz for me to select it if playing Marcus Miller lines or wanting that type of sound. It also works (to my ears) on the new Special. 

I believe Andertons have a 4HH Stingray Special (though not  a sparkly one - at least not on the display on Friday 😏) - you'd need to try one to see if it does what you want. 

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I have to say some of the 2018 colours are a bit...questionable 🤨

They all look good in real life - but if you're a sunburst/tort person the HD yellow with black hardware, for instance may not appeal!! So just walk on by tot the burst or natural. They all really do look good especially with the roasted maple necks. 

Edited by drTStingray

4 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I think there's a certain amount of flexibility in the combinations of body colours, pickguards, hardware, fretboard materials and ,possibly, neck profiles  if you place an order through a licensed dealer.

Although I can't seem to get the relevant page on the MM website to work for me.

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/stingray

Though someone said earlier in the thread that the current build time for those instruments is fairly lengthy.

Edited by Cato

On 02/09/2018 at 12:48, drTStingray said:

Extraordinary to see such negative vibes, and I'd wager none of you have seen one of these in the flesh let alone played one. Go and try one before you comment. 

I have one (more details to follow tomorrow) - the revoiced preamp does sound very musical even on full mid boost.

The weight loss is very noticeable - I have a light Stingray and Sabre and this is noticeably lighter than them. The output is huge. The changed body and neck contours feel really good. Oh and flawlessly constructed and the roasted maple is the slickest neck I've ever played. What's not to like (other than the price - but this is easily as good if not better than say a Fender CS) 

image.thumb.jpeg.b8bab99b2d2a374e4568c97c0fac2508.jpeg

Regarding string to string volume - this bass is very balanced - The pre amp is revoiced - I don't think people will have an issue with that even if the EQ settings are abused. And the slap tone remains wonderful - clever eh? 

Just to correct some errors in Misdee's post - there was an issue with quality control from CLF who made the pre EB basses initially, which affected amongst other things necks on pre EB basses - indeed rigorous quality control was instituted as dealers rejected the instruments and eventually this created a relationship breakdown because CLF were either unwilling or not capable of producing a product which would meet MMs requirements (this was the 70s!!!) - it's all readily available in print - the issues included inoperable truss rods, dead spots (at the very top end of the neck), rattling truss rods and worse. Those in circulation didn't have those issues. 

I'm sorry to say, my friend, but  it is you who are inaccurate here. " Dead spots" refers to noticeably quieter and weaker notes caused by the resonant frequency of the neck. This has nothing to do with the truss rod issues you refer to, and is the reason why the Stingray has a 3+1 tuning arrangement.Furthermore, the anecdote you relate about the necks on the pre-EB basses is slightly confused and misleading. According to legend, the issues with the truss-rods was deliberate negligence as the reaction to an ongoing dispute, but was in the late 70's, well into the relationship between CLF and MM. Production of the Stingray was subsequently taken over by Grover Jackson, but plenty of Stingrays made by CLF were sold to the public.

On 02/09/2018 at 12:48, drTStingray said:

Extraordinary to see such negative vibes, and I'd wager none of you have seen one of these in the flesh let alone played one. Go and try one before you comment. 

I have one (more details to follow tomorrow) - the revoiced preamp does sound very musical even on full mid boost.

The weight loss is very noticeable - I have a light Stingray and Sabre and this is noticeably lighter than them. The output is huge. The changed body and neck contours feel really good. Oh and flawlessly constructed and the roasted maple is the slickest neck I've ever played. What's not to like (other than the price - but this is easily as good if not better than say a Fender CS) 

image.thumb.jpeg.b8bab99b2d2a374e4568c97c0fac2508.jpeg

Regarding string to string volume - this bass is very balanced - The pre amp is revoiced - I don't think people will have an issue with that even if the EQ settings are abused. And the slap tone remains wonderful - clever eh? 

These do look rather lovely 😍.

I’m on the look out for a used 4HH ‘Ray at the moment but these new models are giving me insane gas 🤪

4 hours ago, Cato said:

I think there's a certain amount of flexibility in the combinations of body colours, pickguards, hardware, fretboard materials and ,possibly, neck profiles  if you place an order through a licensed dealer.

Although I can't seem to get the relevant page on the MM website to work for me.

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/stingray

Though someone said earlier in the thread that the current build time for those instruments is fairly lengthy.

Mine were ordered in April - I only have the 4HH currently but bear in mind there was a bit of a delay partially because the range was only 'released' internationally (non US) yesterday - the 5HH is due this month. I'd expect three months or so ordered from the UK. Only a couple of the colours have fretboard choice - the rest are as advertised although it has been said on Talkbass that there may be later releases which have different hardware finish (such as black with natural). There's only a couple available with rosewood. 

Mine has ebony but there is no problem dialling up real thump or conversely that real Stingray shimmer. The colour combo on this bass is stunning - although I have been asked if I'm buying a glam rock outfit to go with it 😁  

image.thumb.jpeg.5517a17c5d25fc748a1cfb8dcf6571d7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.79f3c40c72e508a20b8394238bf96c3b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8b4e1e97873fd6e41dc85394e4b89e14.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.49ace8c4ec4d76a2bd8b22769203ba2f.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Misdee said:

I'm not being negative  about these basses, though. I hope Dr T enjoys his lovely new basses. I am going to buy one, too!

Thanks Misdee - as I said ive only got the one at the moment but I'm totally enjoying it - the slickness of the roasted maple neck is extraordinary - I already had a figured one on a Sabre but this one is just a joy to play. Combined with the light weight etc etc. V nice indeed!! 

22 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

@drTStingray Is your new one Aqua or Charcoal sparkle?

I'm trying to get a feel of real world colours.

ta.

It's Aqua sparkle - Its a very heavy metal flake and its full effect doesn't come over in photos - it's quite 'in your face'!! The charcoal sparkle is a little like the starry night colour which was done last year. The burnt Apple is also slightly metallic.

I have a Cruz Teal 5HH on order - I would put that at a slightly lighter version of sea foam green. The yellow is quite a stunner as well!! 

Id recommend going and looking at some if you get the opportunity. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, CameronJ said:

To clarify this, I don’t think the colours are so questionable in isolation but when combined with the roasted neck/headstock some of them don’t “sit” particularly well. Personal favourites so far are dropped copper and burnt apple I think!

I think the new prices seem a touch steep. There's loads of used older models about I noticed. 

I have a USA made ebmm sub. It also has a very and i mean very slightly weak g even with pickup adjusted and properly setup etc. Im not sure why they have that issue. No deadspot at all had a vintage ray in recently too didn't hear a deadspot. They like most basses have some quirks but i think there very good quality, well made instruments. 

Confusing naming strategy however or non strategy. Sterling sub ray 4, ray 24, ray 34 ray 34ca, ebmm classic, ebmm sterling etc etc Which I think has slightly hurt the brand as not that long ago there was usa made instrumemts with similar names too the far east made ones. Not nearly as confusing as fenders line ups in the recent past (not in order) Squire p bass and jazz affinity, standard, vintage modified, classic vibe. Fender mim, hwy 1, USA standard, professional, reissues, deluxe, custom shop, elites and so on and on and not forgetting the not that long ago Japan models with similar names and the jdm ones. Confusing at first when old ones phased out and new models of similar names or spec are brought in. Its ok for people who keep up woth things such as bc members but the more casual observer would maybe think eh? Which one is the right one for me. 

And I don't want to get into an argument over which brands are better in qc or materials but as someone who's worked on many instruments you can certainly do a lot worse than any of the musicman or sterling range and for more money too. Imo.

I do think most mass manufactured instruments are overpriced. 

Edited by Twincam

I dig 'em! I have a 5 string Stingray Special and it's waaaay lighter than the normal Stingray 5 (I also own one) and it sounds fantastic. I'm using it on tour.
I honestly was a bit sceptical like some of you are, specially with the new pickup and preamp, and I can tell there's a tone difference, but the essence of a Stingray is still there. 
I recorded a little review a few days ago, check it out!

Edited by Miki Groove
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1