Why become a member? ×

MM 2018 Stingrays

KiOgon

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:49, Deedee said:

It certainly will for now, can’t wait to use it in anger.  Actually, I did consider  messaging you to see if I could prise your Starry Night off you 😁.

As for justifying it, I have no justification for it at all.  Not even to myself!  Just pure unadulterated lust I’m afraid 😍

I understand that D!  You'll have to let me know how this works in a band context.  One thing I found with my SN is that it sounds less aggressive (in a good way) to some of my previous Rays.  I always poo-poo'ed the potential effect of roasted maple necks (and ebony boards come to that) but I can't argue that there is a difference against bog standard SR4s I've previously owned.

It's a shame the new ones don't have figured necks - I love the birdseye on my PDN, it really works well with the roast.  I'd love the whole neck to be lacquered to show it off to it's best but I understand that most have a preference for the oil/wax finish below the headstock.

13 hours ago, RedVee said:

I too think that the back of the neck looks very poor and un attractive with the headstock being roasted and the neck not. I know why this is done but looking at one it looks cheap and nasty, especially with a ring around the headstock on the back of the neck which is all over the place........Very poor from EB!

Although not figured, I wouldn’t say the necks are unattractive.  I think they look great and feel even better.

4 hours ago, martthebass said:

I understand that D!  You'll have to let me know how this works in a band context.  One thing I found with my SN is that it sounds less aggressive (in a good way) to some of my previous Rays.  I always poo-poo'ed the potential effect of roasted maple necks (and ebony boards come to that) but I can't argue that there is a difference against bog standard SR4s I've previously owned.

It's a shame the new ones don't have figured necks - I love the birdseye on my PDN, it really works well with the roast.  I'd love the whole neck to be lacquered to show it off to it's best but I understand that most have a preference for the oil/wax finish below the headstock.

I’ll let you know how it goes Mart, taking it out Saturday.  If we have anything in this neck of the woods I’ll give you a shout.

You're right about the roasted necks, especially with ebony boards.  They just feel special.  I did try a maple one when I bought mine and although the same dimensions, roasted etc, it just didn’t feel as nice to me.

2 hours ago, Deedee said:

I’ll let you know how it goes Mart, taking it out Saturday.  If we have anything in this neck of the woods I’ll give you a shout.

You're right about the roasted necks, especially with ebony boards.  They just feel special.  I did try a maple one when I bought mine and although the same dimensions, roasted etc, it just didn’t feel as nice to me.

Cheers mate, busy all Saturdays but one till the new year but will deffo try and catch up with your new venture!

6 hours ago, Deedee said:

Although not figured, I wouldn’t say the necks are unattractive.  I think they look great and feel even better.

Oh I ain't knocking the Bass overall its just the look at the back of the neck and headstock. It looks like someone has dipped the headstock in creosote then taken it out again. It looks sloppy.

Just now, RedVee said:

Oh I ain't knocking the Bass overall its just the look at the back of the neck and headstock. It looks like someone has dipped the headstock in creosote then taken it out again. It looks sloppy.

😂  That’s one way of putting it.  No worries and no offence taken 👍

Just now, RedVee said:

😂  That’s one way of putting it.  No worries and no offence taken 👍

On 08/09/2018 at 17:45, Deedee said:

.........well, resistance proved futile. 😔

This thing looks great, sounds amazing and plays beautifully.  I quickly came to the conclusion that I didn’t need a HH model.  😎

47074ED4-E3A9-4889-9D38-4901046BB3B2.jpeg

Why did you opt for a single H instead of a HH.........I am just curious to know?

16 minutes ago, RedVee said:

Why did you opt for a single H instead of a HH.........I am just curious to know?

Purely because I fell in love with how it played, how it sounded and I couldn’t bare to wait 9 months for the HH in this colour. Weak I know but, that’s pretty much how it happened.

Now don’t get me wrong, in the future if someone out there found themselves in the exact polar opposite position ie they bought a 4HH but really wanted a 4H, I may well trade.  But unless that happens, this bad boy’s going nowhere as I’m a very happy bunny 😁

Edit - Also just to add, I’ve only very recently been introduced to HH basses having recently picked up a EBMM Sterling 4HH.  This comes after many years of having single pickup basses (including many Stingrays) so the thought of having just a H wasn’t entirely alien to me.

Edited by Deedee

2 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Purely because I fell in love with how it played, how it sounded and I couldn’t bare to wait 9 months for the HH in this colour. Weak I know but, that’s pretty much how it happened.

Now don’t get me wrong, in the future if someone out there found themselves in the exact polar opposite position ie they bought a 4HH but really wanted a 4H, I may well trade.  But unless that happens, this bad boy’s going nowhere as I’m a very happy bunny 😁

I am in the same predicament that you were in.I want a HH but don't want to wait 9-12 months for it to be delivered. I have spoken to all UK dealers and they have said that they are expecting more deliveries from the Supplier Strings and Things inside 3 months and there is a possibility of HH models in different colours which will be part of that delivery as the the first batch of HH's did not include a good selection of colours. I think I will hang on and see how it pans out before getting the wallet out.

• Like 1

These are my roasted maple neck Musicman basses - 2014 Neptune Blue mahogany Sabre with roasted flamed maple neck, and 2018 4HH Special, Aqua Sparkle with roasted maple and ebony board. They both have stainless steel frets. Note the back of the neck colour is consistent, and although the headstocks are darker (lacquered) there's not a huge difference. 

My 4HH Special was a customer order placed on 14/4/18 with Andertons - so you can get the colour you want if you persevere - the same was true of the Sabre, and various other 'odd colour' Musicman basses I've bought new. 

Note the new tuners have a much thicker tip area - feel really comfortable to use. 

image.thumb.jpeg.41965a3bd6bd5980598ed96d3005a931.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.05e505a6c5d1aa1e8cfbee4ed72e2647.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a1416d716c04e63d792dc328c5b85cc8.jpeg

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but think my 4HHS looks great.

Ive used it now in two gigs with a fairly loud blues/R and B band (v loud drummer!!) - outdoor gigs. The bass sound has fitted the mix very nicely (generally using the dual humbucker or single bridge humbucker settings). I've used the outer single coil setting a couple of times but it simply encourages me to play Marcus Miller quotes. A couple of things I've really noticed - using the classic single bridge humbucker setting, even cranking the mid range (yes, to hear myself v said drummer on occasion), the sound simply becomes more focussed but retains that Stingray Bernard Edwards type sound. I rarely crank the mid on my regular 4HH in H mode as it sounds too much to me - that bass needs a bumped mid in dual H mode though as it naturally scoops.

Altogether I'm really pleased with this bass - super playable, light, sounds great, big range of very usable sounds and also turns heads - Saturday night, under a lighting system our lady singer danced over playing an item of percussion and said 'is that a new bass you have there' as it shone in the multi coloured lighting - and then proceeded to make female Kenneth Williams/Frankie Howard sounds of approval - she looked well impressed!!! 😂 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

I think I am going to ditch the idea of getting an HH model and stick to the single humbucker instead. I prefer the look of the single H and after listening to numerous sound clips the first position sounds the best to my ears which is just like having a single H configuration. So I aint going to waste my time and money in ordering a HH when the single H will suffice, and although the HH is maybe useful for recreating a P Bass and a Jazz tone I already own them two basses so an HH is not needed.

Edited by RedVee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Deedee said:

Now don’t get me wrong, in the future if someone out there found themselves in the exact polar opposite position ie they bought a 4HH but really wanted a 4H, I may well trade.  But unless that happens, this bad boy’s going nowhere as I’m a very happy bunny 😁

Edit - Also just to add, I’ve only very recently been introduced to HH basses having recently picked up a EBMM Sterling 4HH.  This comes after many years of having single pickup basses (including many Stingrays) so the thought of having just a H wasn’t entirely alien to me.

247169d7-4151-4c95-8e9b-59b621781e8e_100

Easy!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RedVee said:

I think I am going to ditch the idea of getting an HH model and stick to the single humbucker instead. I prefer the look of the single H and after listening to numerous sound clips the first position sounds the best to my ears which is just like having a single H configuration. So I aint going to waste my time and money in ordering a HH when the single H will suffice, and although the HH is maybe useful for recreating a P Bass and a Jazz tone I already own them two basses so an HH is not needed.

Personally, whilst a H is damn fine bass, if you have the option of a HH with a little wait, you might appreciate it once it arrives.

Plus, you can choose the colour etc you want without just picking up whatever stock is available.

The HH does not really sound exactly like a J and a P....more like Musicman's own tones. 

7 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

Personally, whilst a H is damn fine bass, if you have the option of a HH with a little wait, you might appreciate it once it arrives.

Plus, you can choose the colour etc you want without just picking up whatever stock is available.

The HH does not really sound exactly like a J and a P....more like Musicman's own tones. 

I wonder if the HH 1st position bridge pickup only is voiced exactly the same as a single H Stingray?

21 minutes ago, RedVee said:

I wonder if the HH 1st position bridge pickup only is voiced exactly the same as a single H Stingray?

Yes it is I think. The two pick ups together as Hs is a great sound also but the single H version is also a very versatile bass - particularly responsive to moving your plucking position around plus the new EQ has the same characteristics. 

Edited by drTStingray

On 16/09/2018 at 12:39, Musicman20 said:

If you aren't happy, send it back. Which store mixed up the cases? Such a basic part of the service as well. 

It was GuitarGuitar. Not the first time they've done this with cases/case candy either but to be fair they've made the return as hassle free as possible, which is more than can be said for some *cough* Richtone *cough* 

On 16/09/2018 at 12:42, martthebass said:

Don’t think I’d be happy with that neck pocket either, I’ve had it and accepted it on £150 basses but at £2000+ I’d expect much better. I’m assuming this crept through QC - don’t think I’ve ever had an MM like that.

On 16/09/2018 at 16:38, grenadillabama said:

if it sounded very good I would probably keep it. Unless you feel the neck might shift later... 

On 16/09/2018 at 16:58, CameronJ said:

Agreed. At this price point? Frankly, I’d be expecting near-perfection. Anything less is an insult to my intelligence and, arguably worse, my wallet.

I've arranged a return.  I decided I just couldn't live with it given the cost.   Still waiting to hear on the wait time for a replacement.

😩

Edited by Ruiner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Think you've made the right decision mate, hope the replacement isn't too long in coming.

Seeing as it is a Charcoal Sparkle HH you are probably looking to wait 9-12 months, they will tell you 9 months wait time but 9-12 months is the most realistic timescale.

1 hour ago, RedVee said:

Seeing as it is a Charcoal Sparkle HH you are probably looking to wait 9-12 months, they will tell you 9 months wait time but 9-12 months is the most realistic timescale.

In which case, would it not be quicker to just get a refund and see if another retailer has a charcoal sparkle HH in stock?

2 hours ago, Ruiner said:

I've arranged a return of it. I decided I just couldn't live with it given the cost.   Still waiting to hear on the wait time for a replacement.

😩

Its a shame for you and the bass. I was going to try post something positive about the neck pocket and how nice the rest of the bass is and you shouldn't worry. I was reaching. I think it would of always been on your mind. I think with anything you should be completely happy but at that price point, just satisfied won't do. And it was disappointing to hear that the experience wasn't as you hoped. 

I might of even contacted musicman themselves. Because really that pocket must of been a qc fail given the standards the claim. They might not of helped but they would of known I had my eye on them haha!

Edited by Twincam

4 hours ago, CameronJ said:

In which case, would it not be quicker to just get a refund and see if another retailer has a charcoal sparkle HH in stock?

It's not as easy as that, I have spoken to several dealers who tell me that the suppliers Strings and Things do not have or are not waiting for HH models in sparkle colours. If you wanted something like Tobacco burst in HH there is a chance as it is supposedly a popular colour. I got a UK dealer to phone Strings and Things to ask them about a Dropped Copper HH and he was told it would have to be a special order and would take 9 months for delivery.If it was me I would demand a full refund.

Edited by RedVee
  • Thanks 1