Why become a member? ×

Public and personal Thank You!

The Burpster

If Jake repays the money, you can all pick which hat of mine I am to eat.

[quote]Perhaps if/when Jake repays the money, we should set up a fund to pay the costs of any similar situation in future.

The next wrongdoer can then reimburse the fund what he owes.[/quote]

You what? :) You think we should set up a basschat bailout fund?

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='Waldo' post='347577' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:59 PM']You what? :) You think we should set up a basschat bailout fund?[/quote]
No, a private fund moderators can draw on, at their discretion, if this were to happen again.

So Jake's refund (once you've eaten your lizardskin fedora) solves any future problems instead of going to charity.

Cheers

Mark

the bass is in customs now ... and my tax is a whooping $600!!!

i am still begging them to lower it since it is nowhere near brand new and i wont be selling it... i will really need the 100 pounds for taxes after all... from experience, i they usually dont lower it that much.

but still, it is up to you... if you guys plan to let it go to charity, then i suggest Gman not send me the 100 pounds (paypal will just be very happy to take % off it as it goes around)

Edited by IncX

[quote]No, a private fund moderators can draw on, at their discretion, if this were to happen again.[/quote]

Depends on how keen the moderators would be to burden that responsibility, it is not up to them to fix these sort of problems. I wouldn't have thought that they'd planned on creating a forum charity.

[quote name='OldGit' post='347694' date='Dec 7 2008, 08:18 AM']Whaaaa!?!

Wow! Makes the UK import charges seem almost reasonable ...[/quote]

That is a heck of a lot, the shipping costs seem quite excessive too, I shipped a bass fully insured to the US for £65 :)

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='347857' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:53 PM']The Phillippppppines are a bit further away than the continental US...[/quote]

I know.

Out of curiousity I've just got a quote for shipping to the Philippines, using the the dimensions of the parcel containing the bass I sent to the US, plus a little bit more each just in case (which is a fair assumption, I think) and the price is £79.11 plus £22.50 for £1500 insurance. DHL is the carrier, 2-3 days delivery time.

Whoever got a quote of £250..... :)

Edited by Waldo

A satisfying end to what was a shocking state of affairs. Just goes to prove that BC isn't just all hot air (not a dig, I like the hot air) but that we can get things done when needed. Well done to all the participants who brought about the successful outcome.

[quote name='IncX' post='347692' date='Dec 7 2008, 07:38 AM']the bass is in customs now ... and my tax is a whooping $600!!!

i am still begging them to lower it since it is nowhere near brand new and i wont be selling it... i will really need the 100 pounds for taxes after all... from experience, i they usually dont lower it that much.

but still, it is up to you... if you guys plan to let it go to charity, then i suggest Gman not send me the 100 pounds (paypal will just be very happy to take % off it as it goes around)[/quote]

Just keep the £100! You'll be needing it from the sound of things!

[quote name='Waldo' post='347966' date='Dec 7 2008, 04:56 PM']I know.

Out of curiousity I've just got a quote for shipping to the Philippines, using the the dimensions of the parcel containing the bass I sent to the US, plus a little bit more each just in case (which is a fair assumption, I think) and the price is £79.11 plus £22.50 for £1500 insurance. DHL is the carrier, 2-3 days delivery time.

Whoever got a quote of £250..... :)[/quote]
What :huh: I sent a bass to Ireland with UPS and it came to £80 odd quid and that was only insured to £500. And it was cheaper than Parcel Force!

[quote name='Waldo' post='347966' date='Dec 7 2008, 04:56 PM']I know.

Whoever got a quote of £250..... :)[/quote]

I get a big discount from UPS, and the rate I gave was the price from UPS to me. I would recheck that with DHL, £79.11 is not really credible for a bass to go all that way.

[quote]What blink.gif I sent a bass to Ireland with UPS and it came to £80 odd quid and that was only insured to £500. And it was cheaper than Parcel Force![/quote]

There's a thing I like to do called, 'shopping around'. I've just gotten a quote for shipping to Ireland (again, using the same dimensions) and got a quote of £26.91, not insured. with DHL Europlus road service as the carrier. DHL Air express would cost you £67.74+ vat fully insured.

[quote name='skywalker' post='348341' date='Dec 8 2008, 08:55 AM']I get a big discount from UPS, and the rate I gave was the price from UPS to me. I would recheck that with DHL, £79.11 is not really credible for a bass to go all that way.[/quote]

Well it is 'credible' becuase that's the quote I've been given and it's also not much more than what I paid to have a bass sent to the US. See for yourself:

[url="http://www.transglobal.org.uk/default.asp"]http://www.transglobal.org.uk/default.asp[/url]

It doesn't matter anyway, if anything have shown that you're all paying too much for your shipping though!

after my appeal for a request ... i ended up being slapped with $480 ... and i guess, i really really need that 100 gbp now ...

i really would love giving out to charity or any institution ... but i need it... and there goes the EHX POG i wanted to get from low down ... :)

still ... its 100000x better than not getting my bass! so its all good :huh:

As someone who contributed towards the shipment of this bass I am not really bothered if you keep the £100 because the goal of getting the bass too you has been achieved but surely you would have had to pay the $480 if and when Jake had shipped you the bass?

Any news on whether Jake is going to pay for the shipping yet?

The more I read on these forums the more I am likely to only deal with people I know unless face to face.

Steve

[quote name='IncX' post='348689' date='Dec 8 2008, 03:05 PM']yes it is 480 USD

-*-

and with Jake, i actually asked him to value the bass at 250 GBP, as so i wont be dealing with huge taxes ...[/quote]

Ouch...

You do realise that if he did that and the bass was damaged/lost in transit your insurance payout would ammount to the £250 declared value? Not worth it in my opinion.

[quote name='Waldo' post='348701' date='Dec 8 2008, 03:11 PM']Ouch...

You do realise that if he did that and the bass was damaged/lost in transit your insurance payout would ammount to the £250 declared value? Not worth it in my opinion.[/quote]

+1

not to mention the fact that Jake would be acting illegally ;-)