Why become a member? ×

Camphor burl top - void filling

Berserker

Hey guys/gals,

I've just bought this camphor burl top for my new build and was just wondering if anyone here has used similar and how you went about void filling? I tried clear epoxy on a poplar burl top once and ended up with a milky looking finish to the voids. I was wondering if black epoxy or sawdust and epoxy would do a better job.

s-l1600s.jpg

I saw a coffee table top once that was full of voids.  It had been filled with an electric blue resin that had then been sanded or planed back so you had the wood with electric blue speckles all over it.

I liked it, but you may not want such a mad top to a bass.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 1

Yes!  Yes, I have.  Kert's (FuNkShUi) single cut custom was camphor burl

And I THINK I used epoxy mixed with wood dust - but that might have been one of my other builds. Give me two ticks and I'll find the photos.

This was the bass:

F0GDCFWl.jpg

• Like 1

An option would be or could be rather, mix epoxy with black powder paint and really bulk it up with brass or bronze dust to give it a polished metal effect. There was a furniture maker on the Scottish borders who did that on Elm burr table tops and it was sensational.

Just found a video to give you an idea

• Like 3

OK - slightly different answer to my earlier post.  

The single cut above, which is actual Camphor, wasn't actually very holey. 

G2xOQpvl.jpg

As such I got away with just creating a slurry by sanding with wet and dry but using Tru-oil as the wet (basically a variation of the 'slurry and buff' approach). Also, the slurry is the sawdust of the predominant wood - and this camphor was similar hues all around so filling small voids with that lighter slurry didn't detract from the darker burl

This one below, was Camphor Laurel (it is actually a type of laurel as far as I understand) which was holey like yours:

ZgxirFIl.jpg

And this one, yes - I mixed ebony sanding dust with epoxy and filled it with that.  This gives a true black fill of the voids:

ou7zpWBl.jpg

This one below was the same Camphor Laurel, but this time I did a tru-oil slurry and buff.  Bear in mind this is not full gloss finished, but you see how the lightness of the slurry tends to soften the burl effect:

pBXO8x2l.jpg

So, I would say for maximum effect, mix epoxy (Z-epoxy would be my choice) with a decent amount of a very dark sanding dust, for a lesser effect, you could slurry and wipe.

Or - you could opt to leave unfilled, as I have for @Len_derby 's very recently finished burl poplar lightweight bass:

wD2FtAnl.jpg

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy, some great inspiration there! All of those builds are beauties.

I think the ebony dust / epoxy effect is what I'd pictured in my mind's eye. It'll take ages to fill all those holes but it'll be worth it! 

The top feels pretty solid though so I'm hoping I won't have to coat the whole thing in epoxy to stabilize it. Might give it a slight amber stain too to make it pop.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Berserker said:

Thanks Andy, some great inspiration there! All of those builds are beauties.

I think the ebony dust / epoxy effect is what I'd pictured in my mind's eye. It'll take ages to fill all those holes but it'll be worth it! 

The top feels pretty solid though so I'm hoping I won't have to coat the whole thing in epoxy to stabilize it. Might give it a slight amber stain too to make it pop.

Thanks again!

If it is similar to the camphor laurel I used, it was very stable.  I am pretty certain that you won't need anything above your normal finishing for either rigidity or stability.  The filling of the voids is basically aesthetic.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 20:21, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes!  Yes, I have.  Kert's (FuNkShUi) single cut custom was camphor burl

And I THINK I used epoxy mixed with wood dust - but that might have been one of my other builds. Give me two ticks and I'll find the photos.

This was the bass:

F0GDCFWl.jpg

:heart::heart: WOW! Missed this somehow, stunning Andy! ;) 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 12:32, Berserker said:

Hey guys/gals,

I've just bought this camphor burl top for my new build and was just wondering if anyone here has used similar and how you went about void filling? I tried clear epoxy on a poplar burl top once and ended up with a milky looking finish to the voids. I was wondering if black epoxy or sawdust and epoxy would do a better job.

s-l1600s.jpg

Anyone else see the angry ape in this? It stares at me every time, legs apart and arms by sides.....

Or should I see my optician? 😂

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:19, BassTool said:

Anyone else see the angry ape in this? It stares at me every time, legs apart and arms by sides.....

Or should I see my optician? 😂

I couldn't see it at first, and now I can't unsee it!!

I'll have to try and make a feature of him in the finished article. Just started with the build so I'll start up a thread soon.

• 2 weeks later...