Why become a member? ×

Singing Tips for the Reluctant

Dave Vader

Dave, do you mind if I add a few tips? No? Oh good. :)

• Don't have a cold drink on stage with you, and avoid anything with ice in it like the plague. Flat bitter at room temperature is an ideal lubricant, and no, that isn't supposed to be funny.
  • Remember to breathe at the right points in a song. It's ridiculously easy to forget this.
  • Arrange your position on stage so that while singing into the mic you can easily check out where your left hand is on the neck. Don't keep looking down.
  • If you don't get rid of the written lyrics within three performances, you'll depend on them for ever. If you don't know the song, WTF are you doing singing it to an audience?
  • Don't be afraid to simplify the bass line while you're singing, and parts that you would normally play up the neck are harder to louse up if you play them down by the nut instead.
  • Smile and bow. ;)

I'd be happy to sing backing vocals. In fact, I have a go as long as the song has a simple enough bass line. But I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. In particular, I don't know what to do with my voice. They say, "sing from your diaphragm". That's nice, but I haven't the slightest idea what that means. Your vocal chords are in your throat!!

I keep thinking I'll get better... :$

I use my singing skills as a cruel negotiating weapon .

the lads in the band won't let me sing as they reckon it is totally stinky poo and don't mind telling me . So when I hear some of the notes coming from the singer's (rhythm-ish) guitar, I keep letting him know his technique is lacking , he generally gets the hump and swears blind he is doing his best. When he is at critical mass, I suggest that I bring a microphone to the next gig and 'do my best' 

he gets the message 😂

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

I use my singing skills as a cruel negotiating weapon .

the lads in the band won't let me sing as they reckon it is totally stinky poo and don't mind telling me . So when I hear some of the notes coming from the singer's (rhythm-ish) guitar, I keep letting him know his technique is lacking , he generally gets the hump and swears blind he is doing his best. When he is at critical mass, I suggest that I bring a microphone to the next gig and 'do my best' 

he gets the message 😂

Having been afflicted with (too...) many a ditty from the Venerable Lurks, I can quite understand the enormity of such a threat. :|

xD :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:
  • Smile and bow. ;)

tumblr_n01w30GNB81smuueao1_500.gif

When I was in The Beatles it always used to annoy me that the bass player insisted on doing this silly little backwards kick with his left foot when he bowed (see above). He wasn't a bad singer but after one gig we had a huge row about his foot so I left the band.

Losers.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

...this silly little backwards kick with his left foot...

Sorry, but that's just intolerance on your part, I'd say. He's an experienced professional already, (yes, even at that young age...), making sure that his bass lead isn't going to trip him up when he takes the couple of steps backwards that will follow your clip. If only everyone could be that conscientious. I doubt that they missed you, with such an attitude. :|

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

I'd be happy to sing backing vocals. In fact, I have a go as long as the song has a simple enough bass line. But I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. In particular, I don't know what to do with my voice. They say, "sing from your diaphragm". That's nice, but I haven't the slightest idea what that means. Your vocal chords are in your throat!!

Do you know anyone who could offer any advice? I am lucky to know a music therapist who was happy to give me some help. Within a couple of hours I went from being very nervous and feeling my vocals were terrible (they weren’t but weren’t brilliant either) to a point where I am practising to do lead on a couple of songs. Partly it’s confidence but simple technique and tricks help. I bet there are loads on YouTube. My top tip is to open your mouth wide, it’s amazing how much extra volume and clarity you get for no extra effort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

Sorry, but that's just intolerance on your part, I'd say. He's an experienced professional already, (yes, even at that young age...), making sure that his bass lead isn't going to trip him up when he takes the couple of steps backwards that will follow your clip. If only everyone could be that conscientious. I doubt that they missed you, with such an attitude. :|

Well, he used the same argument about his lead so I got him a very early prototype wireless unit and he still did it after every song. Bow, kick, bow, kick, bow, kick

Only years later did I come to realise that the foot thing was a sort of nervous reaction born of low self-esteem and stress. By then, of course, it was too late to do anything other than pen a fulsome apology and stick it in the post. Months went by and I'd heard nothing so I wrote him another letter and was promptly slapped with a restraining order. My wife of the time (a Japanese lady artist) insisted that it was all his fault anyway and I was much more talented so I left her, sh@gged my PA, got drunk for years and eventually took four bullets off a nutter.

That's showbiz for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

Haha that was totally my deal. I'm still a terrible singer because I don't practice enough, but I'm loads better than I used to be because I learned about the mechanics of it. Getting a good vocal teacher and then spending the time developing the techniques will help. Or even just researching the basic mechanics of singing might give you enough of a clue to improve. 😁

I did a year or so with a local choir when I first came to Spondon.

I managed to do it long enough to perform in public a few times.  I was one of about six regular male singers among thirty or so female singers.  I tried to keep to practice and rehearsals but when my mum started to get into greater difficulty at home I could no longer guarantee that I would be able to attend despite putting my name down for forthcoming events.  I stood down despite being urged to stay on because I felt it was unfair on the BL and the group in general.

It's great experience.  I have no regrets.  In fact if I had not done it the opportunity to do so would've been lost as my care duties took over and made it difficult to guarantee my appearance at events towards the end.  I am not in such a good position to join the choir again now that my duties have been discharged.  What time I have is best spent on bass as that is where I really want to improve.  Even a hobby bassist has to decide where best to spend time and effort to the sacrifice of other desirable but non-essential musical activities.

I've learned that singing in a choir is not the same as singing solo with a lot of backing singers.  It's important to deliver a vocal with as few frills as possible.  Enunciation is crucial and relies on a good sense of timing for consonants, for example.  I regarded it as a good foundation should I be called upon for BVs.  Indeed, I sometimes think that I might have to become a singing bassist in order to have something to put before the punters at OMs.

It's a start and if you have the time to commit I recommend it highly.

The self-consciousness thing is the hardest to overcome. You'll never really know what you're capable of if you're always holding back in embarrassment.

I used to commute on a very loud motorbike, wearing a full face helmet. I could ride into Central London singing as loud and as committed as I could manage, secure in the knowledge that no one could possibly hear me.

I used to walk around my local park on Sunday mornings, football pitches to the North, railway tracks to the West, cemetery to the South, dual carriageway to the East. I just shut up when I got close to dog walkers and joggers.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

The self-consciousness thing is the hardest to overcome. You'll never really know what you're capable of if you're always holding back in embarrassment.

I used to commute on a very loud motorbike, wearing a full face helmet. I could ride into Central London singing as loud and as committed as I could manage, secure in the knowledge that no one could possibly hear me.

I used to walk around my local park on Sunday mornings, football pitches to the North, railway tracks to the West, cemetery to the South, dual carriageway to the East. I just shut up when I got close to dog walkers and joggers.

I remember following someone around Wembley roundabout three decades ago.  He was singing his heart out like he was practising Opera.

We were both on motorcycles.  He was good, don't get me wrong, but don't think you wont be noticed by other motorcyclists and end up on YT.  I'd have posted that had helmet cam technology been there then.

Having just joined a Glam Rock covers band i may have to do some of the backing vocals. I've not sang since my first band (1978) where i did lead vocals on Hold Your Head up by Argent and 2-4-6-8 Motorway. Pretty easy songs to play and from memory my vocals were ok. 

My music teacher at school said i had a good voice and wanted me to join her choir but it wasn't for me.

Any or all help is now useful to me so this thread will give me some ideas.

Cheers

Dave

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Having just joined a Glam Rock covers band i may have to do some of the backing vocals. I've not sang since my first band (1978) where i did lead vocals on Hold Your Head up by Argent and 2-4-6-8 Motorway. Pretty easy songs to play and from memory my vocals were ok. 

My music teacher at school said i had a good voice and wanted me to join her choir but it wasn't for me.

Any or all help is now useful to me so this thread will give me some ideas.

Cheers

Dave

The best advice I can give any young person is to avoid teachers like that.

One of mine decided that I was to be her prodigy and she made my life at school a daily bus trip to hell.  It put me off music completely until I got through puberty and by then I was no longer a marketable prospect.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

The best advice I can give any young person is to avoid teachers like that.

One of mine decided that I was to be her prodigy and she made my life at school a daily bus trip to hell.  It put me off music completely until I got through puberty and by then I was no longer a marketable prospect.

It was 45 yrs ago so think i'm safe now. :crazy:

Dave

• Haha 1