Why become a member? ×

Short(er) Scale length?

Sharkfinger

[attachment=1289:DSCN0616.JPG]

I had this Mo Clifton "Cherry bass" made last year. 30" scale with strings through the body - sounds lovely, if a bit " basic". I was after a sound somewhere between Ron Carter (mid 70's piezo pickup) and Percy Jones (1979 Wal Pro). I almost got there, but I'll probably add a piezo bridge when I'm feeling wealthy...

I find the scale length takes about 5 mins to adjust to - :) not really a problem.

BB

I play these guys...

[font="Arial Black"]DeArmond Jet Star Bass[/font]
[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/DeArmond/Jet-Star+Bass/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...-Star+Bass/10/1[/url]

[font="Arial Black"]Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet[/font]
[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Gretsch/Electromatic+Junior+Jet/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...Junior+Jet/10/1[/url]

Both sound great @ 31" and 30". I play 60's soul and rock and they work really well for that traditional sound. You'll only be able to get these second hand as I don't think either is made anymore - could try t'bay.

Cheers

Stu

Edited by onehappybunny

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='34192' date='Jul 19 2007, 04:14 PM']Might be tough finding one of those. There's a short scale Aria on eBay that looks good, i.e. doesn't look "wrong" because of the short neck. Let's see how much that goes for.[/quote]

There've been a couple on Ebay recently - do a completed listings search.

One in England wanted £150 and didn't sell. One sold in America for £42. Lucky 'Merkins.

--

I'm sure you know this but nut width makes a big difference to perceived scale length. As well as general meatiness of the neck.

Edited by paul, the

You can get any 'bolt on' warwick with a 32" neck from their custom shop. I've got a Fender Mustang - there's absolutely nothing wrong with the sound of that - even though it's a 30" scale - cuts through in a band mix perfectly. I'm only selling it because I find the upper fret access difficult - intersted?

Hey [b]Sharkfinger[/b]
Sorry I missed this post before...
I'm in a similar boat to yourself, not all that big, wee hands etc.
I've played 34", 35" even 36" basses but always found, at least with 35" and 36", that I get uncomfortable playing for long periods of time.
I got a custom built bass last year by [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk"]Jon Shuker[/url], the one in my avatar, and I went for a 33" scale having played a 33" Fodera over in the states.
I went for the 33" because, soundwise it remains similar to a 34" on the lower strings and adds a sweetness to the higher strings, almost like a jazz guitar. It also makes it a lot easier to play.
I know Warwick charge extra for alternative scale lengths, but I know of a few luthiers in the UK who don't, including Mr Shuker.

If you're wanting to go shorter, I'd also check out [url="http://www.birdsongguitars.com/"]Birdsong Guitars[/url], they do a 31.5" scale as standard and get rave reviews!

If you're ever up in Edinburgh your more than welcome to have a go of my Shuker.

Good luck,
Eude

To be honest, i paniced when i first got a 34" scale bass because I'm a 6ft bloke with girls hands!

I swapped in my first Ibanez gsr200 and traded it in for a short scale bass and it felt horrible, more like playing a toy or a six string.

I was told not to worry that with various hand stretching excercises I would be able to play ok so I sold the short scale and now have two 34" scale basses and i can easily span across 4 frets even with my girlie hands

So what i'm trying to say is to carry on with the large basses because if I can play them, anyone can

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

If you fancy a fat, Gretsch-ish archtop, the Dean Stylist ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1308"]see my review on dis hya very forum[/url]) is 32" scale, affordable and damn good for the money. :)

Also, Thomann are doing something that looks almost identical under their Harley Benton brand, for even less money.

Edited by Oxblood

The mark I Fender Urge basses (Stu Hamm signature) were 32" scale. They turn up occasionally on Ebay. If you do see one, make sure it isn't a mark II Urge which were 34".

Here:
[url="http://http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-URGE-BASS-USA_W0QQitemZ220131889261QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38079QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViwItem"]Urge I[/url]

Edited by TheRev

The best short scale bass I have ever played, by a huge margin, is my Birdsong Cortobass.

Its a 31 1/2" scale handmade (in Texas) passive, with a small body as well as neck, and fits into a Strat sized hardcase. The tone is superb! No one can believe it comes from such a diminutive bass. Weight is less than 7lbs for my poplar bodied example.

The buying experience is something else! Scott Beckwith and his wife run the tiny company, and they have had the most unbelievable reviews on Harmony Central (which is why I took a bit of a gamble and bought mine). Their customer service is extraordinary, making the whole experience a pleasure. I cant praise the company or the bass highly enough, and I see a few more are now starting to make it to the UK.

Try: www.birdsongguitars.com

I remember Tina Weymouth used to play a short-scale Hofner, though I doubt you'll find one of those at a sane price these days.

What about the Status KingBass? With the "bendwell" option it's one fret shorter, making it about 32.1" (by my calculations). Mark King is quite a little chap who plays fast, so the short scale works for him.

[quote name='bnt' post='36192' date='Jul 24 2007, 12:23 AM']I remember Tina Weymouth used to play a short-scale Hofner[/quote]

I´ve only ever seen her with a Fender Mustang - which happens to be my recommendation. Yes, it´s 30", not 32", but it sounds very solid and is fun to play. Depending on the strings I put on, mine can sound from really fat and thumpy to funky and aggressive. Great little bass.

Well here we go. I kept a list when I asked some while back of all the shortscale basses that were available and here is the reply.....happy researching

Here's a stab at the list with scale lengths:

Fender Mustang 30"
Fender Bass IV 30"
Musicmaster 30"
Fender Urge 1 32"
Fender Bullet 30,32" (also 34")
Fender P-Bass Jr. 28.5"
Bronco 30"
SX (Essex, Rondo) shortscale P and J 30"
Alembic (custom)
Birdsong 30.5"
Landing 30,32"
Gibson EB2 30.5"
Ric 4001 and 4003 33.25"
Gibson EB1 EB0 and EB3 30"
Danelectro
Hofner Violin 30"
Rob Allen Mouse 30"
Ovation Typhoon 30.5"
Epiphone Allen Woody 30"
Epiphone ET-280
Ventura 32"
Carvin SB series
Phantom bass (new reissue) 30"
Vox 30"
Gretsch G2202 Electromatic Junior Jet 30"
Cort Action Bass
Samick Corsair 26"
Ovation Applause AE-40 30"
Teisco 30,31,32"
Hamer Slammer 30"
Hallmark Swept-Wing 30"
Guild Starfire
Guild JSB-2 31"
James Bass (custom)
R Bass (custom)
Michael Dolan (custom)
FBB (custom)
LeCompte (custom)
Framus 30"
Egmond 30"
Gibson Les Paul 30.5"
Wishbass (custom)
Ampeg SSB 30"
XStrange/Bruce Johnson SSB 30.5"
Ampeg AMB-1 (Dan Armstrong) 30.5"
Jay Turser 30"
Ibanez GAXB 150
Gretch hollowbody
Gibson EB-6
Gretsch Synchromatic BassVI
Epiphone Rivoli
Epiphone EB-O 30"
Epiphone Viola
Jerry Jones Longhorn 30"
Jerry Jones Longhorn BassVI
Jerry Jones Shorthorn 30"
Harmony 30"
Hagstrom (various models) 31,31.5,32"
Hamer 8-string
Hamer 12-string
Rickenbacker 3000 30"
Hofner Club
Hofner President
Rogue VB-100 31"
Fender Hello Kitty/Badtz-Maru 30"
Daisy Rock 30"
Fender Squier P-basses (a few) 32"
Kubicki Ex-Factor 32"
Kramer (aluminum neck) 31.5"
Westone 32"
Aria (some older models) 32"
Univox 30,32"
Vantage 30,32"
Epiphone EA-260
Lyle
Hohner
Dean Evo 30"
Luna
Tanglewood 30"
Brice HVB-600 30.3"
Douglas WVEB Violin Bass (Rondo)

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='36314' date='Jul 24 2007, 11:57 AM']Well here we go. I kept a list when I asked some while back of all the shortscale basses that were available and here is the reply.....happy researching

Here's a stab at the list with scale lengths:

Fender Mustang 30"
Fender Bass IV 30"
Musicmaster 30"
Fender Urge 1 32"
...................[/quote]

Wow, the mother lode of scale lengths! Will have a good dig around.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face']To be honest, i paniced when i first got a 34" scale bass because I'm a 6ft bloke with girls hands!

I swapped in my first Ibanez gsr200 and traded it in for a short scale bass and it felt horrible, more like playing a toy or a six string.

I was told not to worry that with various hand stretching excercises I would be able to play ok so I sold the short scale and now have two 34" scale basses and i can easily span across 4 frets even with my girlie hands

So what i'm trying to say is to carry on with the large basses because if I can play them, anyone can[/quote]

Well, I've been playing a good few years now. I just want to see if it will make things easier, rather than struggle on with something when there seems to be another way around.

[quote name='bnt' post='36192' date='Jul 23 2007, 11:23 PM']I remember Tina Weymouth used to play a short-scale Hofner, though I doubt you'll find one of those at a sane price these days.

What about the Status KingBass? With the "bendwell" option it's one fret shorter, making it about 32.1" (by my calculations). Mark King is quite a little chap who plays fast, so the short scale works for him.[/quote]

MB1. :)
+12ty... My Favourite Essex Girl.

[quote name='bnt' post='36192' date='Jul 23 2007, 11:23 PM']What about the Status KingBass? With the "bendwell" option it's one fret shorter, making it about 32.1" (by my calculations). Mark King is quite a little chap who plays fast, so the short scale works for him.[/quote]

I play medium scale (a home built 31.5", and, recently, Mexican Fender urge 1 (32")). The KingBass with bendwell would tick all the boxes for me. Right scale, headless, narrowish string spacing. Only problem (for me) is the price.

As far as I can see the only tangible advantage of a 34" scale is the range of choice available, both in the instruments and the strings etc. Apart from that I can see no point in persevering with a 34" if you'd prefer a 32". Yes the tone might be slightly different, but who's to say which is best?. Besides there are so many other factors that affect tone besides the scale length!

Go for the scale you feel comfortable with.

Clive.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='36625' date='Jul 24 2007, 11:08 PM']Wow, the mother lode of scale lengths! Will have a good dig around.
Well, I've been playing a good few years now. I just want to see if it will make things easier, rather than struggle on with something when there seems to be another way around.[/quote]

I think it was a penis envy thing. I used to go to classes and see teenagers / kids managing on 34" scale basses and then I broke out my 30" scale bass and felt a bit of a twot. I feel a lot more comfortable with a huge bass in my hands now but then perhaps I am trying to make up for something else, like short blokes who drive a Porsche. :)

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='36314' date='Jul 24 2007, 11:57 AM']Well here we go. I kept a list when I asked some while back of all the shortscale basses that were available and here is the reply.....happy researching[/quote]

Thanks for a brilliant list.

I too was starting a list, but nothing like yours!

The only one I can add from mine is the Burns Marguee at 32". A bit of a funny looker, and only 20 frets, but 3 pickups. Might be nice to try.

Clive

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='34121' date='Jul 19 2007, 02:10 PM']landing make 32" scale basses although you don't hear much about them and i only know one person who has one[/quote]

Landing were one of the ones I was considering, but at that sort of price I was reluctant to buy without being able to try first.
They certainly look nice (in a classic way) and I like the small head (Fenders always seem too big for me), and they have a variety of pick up configs, including three pickups. I ended up buying, possibly as an interim fix, a second hand Mexican urge 1. Not exactly what I was after, but a lot cheaper, and I'm reasonably happy with it (apart from a tendency to neck dive).

What does the person you know of think of it ? Have you had a opportunity to try it?

Clive

The Rob Allen stuff looks great, i know it was in the list on the previous page

[url="http://www.roballenguitars.com/info_mouse.html"]http://www.roballenguitars.com/info_mouse.html[/url]

I play a Fender Bronco, but strung as a Piccolo bass, its 30" scale but doesn't feel that odd, i guess because i'm playing it in a different mind-set to a Bass Guitar perhaps. In the same way my EUB at 36" doesn't feel that odd, its such a different instrument that it doesn't really compute.

Good Luck
Si