Why become a member? ×

Desert Island Bass??

bubinga5

I know this has prob been asked before, but its allways interesting to hear the responses....if you could stick with just one bass. i guess your desert island bass, what would it be..£100 Harley Benton, £4000 Fodera, Squire Jazz, Vintage Fender, your custom Shuker (Dood)??

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='331209' date='Nov 18 2008, 02:58 AM']how good are those Stingray 5s.. ive only played the 4 strings..are they similar..

I did love the Sterling..wicked slap tone..[/quote]
I've not had a Sterling though like 'em and may go for one in the future.
For me, the StingRay does it all. It's a bloomin' workhorse! :)
And with the extra low B string on the 5, it just expands the scope that bit more. Obviously a wider neck but not too wide (at least for me).
In 40-odd years of playing I've had a ton of basses (and guitars), some I would dearly love to have back again, but the 'Ray has been with me up and down the UK and across Europe over the last 12 years and has honestly never let me down.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='331225' date='Nov 18 2008, 07:33 AM']I'd take my Squier P on with me it's the most playable bass I have and it's not like I'd have an amp.

Anyway there wouldn't be much time for bass playing as I filled out another one of these things but it was '5 hot women to take on a desert island' so I'd be busy most of the time :)[/quote]

No amp = double bass!

[quote name='ardi100' post='331226' date='Nov 18 2008, 07:46 AM']No amp = double bass![/quote]

Good point well made.

If there was an amp though, it'd be the fretless. I'd have time to learn to play it in tune, and since there'd be no-one else there the intonation would not offend the ear.

A double bass for a raft.

I'd be a bit torn. My Thumb (an 87) is the nicest bass I've ever played, but the 7-string would keep me occupied trying to get my head round it. And I'm not going to go round the country trying out basses to see if there's another one I'd like more...

I'd have to take the Stingray.

Even though I've neglected it lately in favour of the Sandberg, it's still the bass I love the most. It's hard as nails too, it's already survived flying here from Australia, countless treks up and down the country in a battered van, an attempted robbery where it was dumped in the street with no case, and god knows what else. That's the kind of stubborn survivalism you need from a desert island companion!!