Why become a member? ×

Handbox Audio WB-100 - new 120w tube head (pics)

wateroftyne

Two Compacts will be fine as a 4 ohm load, and, as suggested, will flatten bystanders and pig's houses up to and including the one made of sticks. It'll damage the brick one, too...

A Compact and a Super Twin will present a 2.67 ohms load, which the WB-100 will not enjoy.

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Two Compacts will be fine as a 4 ohm load, and, as suggested, will flatten bystanders and pig's houses up to and including the one made of sticks. It'll damage the brick one, too...

A Compact and a Super Twin will present a 2.67 ohms load, which the WB-100 will not enjoy.

Ah gotcha. :)

So ignoring the one cab solution end of things, is there any major differences between the Super Twin and 2 stacked compacts?

Edited by bigjohn

16 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Ah gotcha. :)

So ignoring the one cab solution end of things, is there any major differences between the Super Twin and 2 stacked compacts?

I've never stacked 2 Compacts (I had the Compact and Midget stack thing at one point, but I didn't like the Midget much), but I often thought I'd like to. The ST is obviously more practical in terms of hefting around the place (sub-40lb and those wheels are great), and I've never, ever thought it didn't have headroom and to spare in any situation. I only stack it with the Compact in Very Metal Situations, when I feel the need to intimidate Marshall half-stack geeetarists. With 'only' 300w (actually, the Walkabout pushes more into 2.67) the stack is daft loud (and I mean make-sure-you've-ear-protection loud), but then so is the ST on its own. In terms of response and sound, they're both untweetered, so they're in the same ballpark. It depends on your transport and budget: an additional Compact can be had for around £300, selling yours and buying a ST instead will cost a bit more and be a bit more of a faff. Two Compacts will also give you a bit more flexibility if that's something you need; one for quieter gigs, both for demolition jobs...

TL:DR - STs are great, and I'd also happily stack Compacts 😀

I stack two BB2s with my WB-100, and it is great. Definitely shifts enough air!  Get a second Compact, run off the 4ohm and it will be majestic.

(You could consider stacking a BB2 with the Compact as an option - it would then be more like a Big Twin 2 rather than a Super Twin - but I'm not sure how well they'd stack as I think the BB2 is a slightly deeper cab than the Compact, and you'd ideally want the tweeter up high.)

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

As to what cabs to use with it I plan two Barefaced 15" if I ever actually get my hands on one! 

I do miss my old greenboy dually 2x15, powerful but detailed with an Ampeg V4B. And I bet it would pair beautifully with the Handbox. Just need a band that can justify it, a Quilter BB800 + F112 is fine for our current material...

19 minutes ago, Storky said:

Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these from? Is there a uk based outlet that sells them?

I think they’re shipped directly from Poland to your house but if you go on their website they may have a list of Uk distributors . The amps are quite reasonably priced ...for what they are 

1 minute ago, crabman said:

There are no UK distributors.  They are shipped direct from Poland by Leszek - email him on [email protected].  The website has some English pages for the specs and videos showing the tone.  There are some notes on what to expect in either this thread or the main Handbox one.

I asked one of my Polish colleagues in work to translate the page for me 😂

Well, there’s a tale.

You can buy direct, but, there is very little understanding/comprehension of the English language. They will sell you, but don’t expect a comprehensive reply to any query you may have.

I have the HB R400, bought from Walshy, happy with it , happy with the  bomb proof construction, quirky controls and the sound. Not happy with my request for “Tech Spec’s” from HB on the speakers cabs. I could go on,  I won’t.

IMO, there are no heads at this price point that come close in looks, construction and sound. 

They are great sounding heads, PR isn’t that great.

10 minutes ago, crabman said:

There are no UK distributors.  They are shipped direct from Poland by Leszek - email him on [email protected].  The website has some English pages for the specs and videos showing the tone.  There are some notes on what to expect in either this thread or the main Handbox one.

8 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I asked one of my Polish colleagues in work to translate the page for me 😂

This could be helpful, I lost the will to live messaging on Facebook 

http://www.handbox.pl/BASS-AMPLIFIERS-c42.html 

That page is in English and has both the R400 and WB-100. Leszek is a very talented amp designer with high levels of build quality.

The process is not that of a large organisation and communication is not always great, but if you want a great value amp then I think that is a price worth paying.

6 hours ago, Oldman said:

Well, there’s a tale.

You can buy direct, but, there is very little understanding/comprehension of the English language. They will sell you, but don’t expect a comprehensive reply to any query you may have.

They are great sounding heads, PR isn’t that great.

Hmmm... my experience is different..?

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Hmmm... my experience is different..?

As the instigator of this informative thread you ‘obviously’ have developed a rapport with him. I asked, what I thought, was a sensible question. See below.

EAA6FA08-1324-46CD-B19C-E1FDF1001A76.thumb.jpeg.432f22251197bdfda1166da83482469c.jpeg

The reply was not what I expected, and I do understand the issues involved in small production runs fulfilling a demanding market. I never, got the answer I sought. I wanted to complement my HB R400 (bought here from Paul) with a matching cab (OCD) but in view of the convoluted response, and don’t get me wrong we parted on great terms, but, I bought a barefaced cab instead.  

It won’t stop me dealing with them, far from it. Out with the old in with the new.

Edited by Oldman

1 minute ago, Oldman said:

As the instigator of this informative thread you ‘obviously’ have developed a rapport with him. I asked, what I thought, was a sensible question. See below.

EAA6FA08-1324-46CD-B19C-E1FDF1001A76.thumb.jpeg.432f22251197bdfda1166da83482469c.jpeg

The reply was not what I expected, and I do understand the issues involved in small production runs fulfilling a demanding market. I never, got the answer I sought. I wanted to complement my HB R400 (bought here from Paul) with a matching cab (OCD) but in view of the convoluted response, and don’t get me wrong we parted on great terms, but, I bought a barefaced cab instead.  

It won’t stop me dealing with them, far from it. Out with the old in with the new.

I've had replies like that before - I just press him for more info, or ask him to explain it a different way.