Why become a member? ×

Handbox Audio WB-100 - new 120w tube head (pics)

wateroftyne

21 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

You're welcome!

FWIW, I've just re-uploaded the video with some bits added that I'd forgotten about.

Cheers, had to watch that again!

Would love to try one. About 3 years back I got all excited about a Mesa Bass Prodigy that had come into Bassgear, but when I tried it I really didn't like it. For that reason I am reluctant to buy a WB-100 untried :(

Edited by JapanAxe

7 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Cheers, had to watch that again!

Would love to try one. About 3 years back I got all excited about a Mesa Bass Prodigy that had come into Bassgear, but when I tried it I really didn't like it. For that reason I am reluctant to buy a WB-100 untried :(

Yeah, the Prodigy did get mixed reviews, and IIRC the reliability was a bit shonky. I did fancy a go when they first came out. I was put off by the price, and the word 'scooped' being bandied about...

47 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Yeah, the Prodigy did get mixed reviews, and IIRC the reliability was a bit shonky. I did fancy a go when they first came out. I was put off by the price, and the word 'scooped' being bandied about...

Its core sound was just too aggressive for me. I went home with a Demeter.

I own an Ashdown CTM 100 and simply love it (despite its weird passive eq) how dos the hand box 100 compare ? From all the vids I've seen it seems to be really drivey but that could be just the demonstrators preferred settings .

6 hours ago, Quilly said:

I own an Ashdown CTM 100 and simply love it (despite its weird passive eq) how dos the hand box 100 compare ? From all the vids I've seen it seems to be really drivey but that could be just the demonstrators preferred settings .

I've no experience with the Ashdown, so I can't comment.

I can say the HB isn't inherently drivey, unless you want it to be. Of course it would be unavoidable at very high volumes, but I always seem to have the headroom to keep it clean.

On 06/05/2018 at 09:05, wateroftyne said:

...and another clip from a dep this weekend. Flats on a Maruszczyk Jake, but clear and solid.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but how did you record these clips? I’ve got a vague feeling you might be using one of the Zoom devices - is it just the built in mics on the device or are you taking something from the desk as well? 

24 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Sorry to go slightly off topic but how did you record these clips? I’ve got a vague feeling you might be using one of the Zoom devices - is it just the built in mics on the device or are you taking something from the desk as well? 

Np problem!

This is just a recording from the room with a Zoom Q4n.

I've finally found the upper limits of the WB-100 😄

I depped with a power trio last night (the drummer was a dep too - never met him before). It was post-match in a fairly big pub room.

The bandleader likes it LOUD. Like, really loud. Everything goes through the PA... apart from the bass. Gulp.

So, I threw caution to the wind, maxxed out the output as usual, drove the input much harder than I normally would,

Clean? Not quite. Playing lightly on the quite bits.. yes. As soon as I dug in, I was rewarded with a responsive, creamy grind.

Great fun for that kind of stuff. I can't imagine playing at that volume without a PA too often, mind. Glad I had my earplugs...

Here's a clip - roundwounds, tone off completely, and can still hear those mids..

I'll post a clip later of a tune with a pick, and the bright switch on. It's hilarious in its clarity.

7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I've finally found the upper limits of the WB-100 😄

I depped with a power trio last night (the drummer was a dep too - never met him before). It was post-match in a fairly big pub room.

The bandleader likes it LOUD. Like, really loud. Everything goes through the PA... apart from the bass. Gulp.

So, I threw caution to the wind, maxxed out the output as usual, drove the input much harder than I normally would,

Clean? Not quite. Playing lightly on the quite bits.. yes. As soon as I dug in, I was rewarded with a responsive, creamy grind.

Great fun for that kind of stuff. I can't imagine playing at that volume without a PA too often, mind. Glad I had my earplugs...

Here's a clip - roundwounds, tone off completely, and can still hear those mids..

I'll post a clip later of a tune with a pick, and the bright switch on. It's hilarious in its clarity.

Christ on a bike, I think any Class D amp would struggle to keep up with that! Sounds great - actually better (meaning more solid) than the sort of sound Noel Redding used to get through a Marshall stack.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

A few folk have asked if one of these could make an appearance at the SE Bass Bash in September. I've spoke to Leszek, and it's looking like a possibility.

Fingers crossed!

Ooh! I'll be going, would be overjoyed to try one in the flesh as it were.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A sad occasion this weekend, as the trial WB-100 was collected by its first proper owner (another BC'er, I'm happy to say).

Funds are tight for me at the mo, otherwise I would have bought it seconds after gigging it for the first time.

I hope to correct that soon, though - until then, back to the also-marvellous R-400.

• Like 1