Why become a member? ×

Gold hardware - Is it me??

Deedee

It suits some basses...

20180107_103943.thumb.jpg.7b5246ed0f91e6b16358aa7303e46e2a.jpg

I thought the original chrome tuners looked out of place with the brass nut and bridge so went for gold when I had it refinished. The old chrome tuners were really manky and pitted anyway, so refitting them wasn't an option 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deedee said:

Am I in a minority in really not liking gold hardware on basses?

There have been some gorgeous basses for sale on the marketplace that I would have been all over had it not been for the fact that they were fitted with gold hardware.  Instead of approaching the buyers, I find myself researching the availability of silver or black replacement hardware.

Is it me???

12 hours ago, fleabag said:

Yes its you.  Pretty hard to debate personal taste.  On man's gorgeous bass is another man's bonfire material. Ad infinitum

I think @fleabag nailed it at the first response! 

What's wrong with this - looks just fine to me? (Which is why I bought it! :) )

Warwick $$ 2007.JPG

13 hours ago, Deedee said:

Am I in a minority in really not liking gold hardware on basses?

There have been some gorgeous basses for sale on the marketplace that I would have been all over had it not been for the fact that they were fitted with gold hardware.  Instead of approaching the buyers, I find myself researching the availability of silver or black replacement hardware.

Is it me???

Yep, gold not for me, not keen on black either, traditional silver/chrome/nickel all the way.

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

But it's been useful to clarify, 'cos I think @Deedee you were after an Ibanez SR1800? Well you definitely would have hated mine xD:

Ibanez SR1800.JPG

Haha, exactly.  That’s one of the reasons that I didn’t get one in the end.  However, I was (maybe still am) very tempted by a MIJ SR4000e that had non-gold hardware.

I don’t know why they don’t offer them with the smokey pewter colour that’s often used on the BTB range.  They look lovely 😍

Edited by Deedee
Typo

10 hours ago, xgsjx said:

I was never a fan of gold hardware, but on the right bass it can make it.

0918-1.jpg

I absolutely love the look of Ritters but I don't think I could ever own one.

They look like they should be played exclusively by the young, beautiful people in Princes backing band.

I suspect they look somewhat less sexy on middle aged, overweight Brummies.

Less sexy, and more ridiculous.

Edited by Cato

I dind't like gold hardware a few good years back, i bought a bass (at a very good price) back then that was red and had gold hardware. I had the body painted metalic grey and stripped the hardware and painted it black. Since that i bought my TRB and grown fond to the gold hardware in wood faced basses. I'm now looking to refinish that old bass stripping it back to wood and am sorry i stripped the hardware now.

I think gold lends itself well to wood or white basses. Black hardware in some basses and chrome is just a basic staple for any kind of colour. Any one of them can look very cheap or very posh depending on the bass and colour scheme in question.

On 07/01/2018 at 12:38, Deedee said:

Haha, exactly.  That’s one of the reasons that I didn’t get one in the end.  However, I was (maybe still am) very tempted by a MIJ SR4000e that had non-gold hardware.

I don’t know why they don’t offer them with the smokey pewter colour that’s often used on the BTB range.  They look lovely 😍

56 minutes ago, burno70 said:

I used to dislike gold hardware but I bought an Ibby with it on last year and grown used to it. Don't mind it all now.

There you go Deedee :) No need to turn down a great bass simply because you think you have an aversion to gold hardware (which in fact actually goes really well with the natural / brown woods of the SR1800 / SR1300). PS I've decided I love mine too much so it's not going up for sale, certainly in 2018 (famous last words...)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

hate gold jewellery, hate gold hardware on guitars and basses.  hate the way it is used by manufacturers as being shorthand for some sort of luxury option

I have had a couple of instruments with gold hardware and it always nags away at me until I get round to replacing it, usually with nickle/chrome

• Like 1