Why become a member? ×

THAT jazz bass sound - advice welcome

foxyFuze

Really getting into this band: great album and lo-fi sound to everything they do. Good to see a Jazz bass too!

Any ideas of what else might be going on aside from the kit pictured to achieve that sound - particular strings perhaps?
No YouTube videos so it's a Spotify link instead:

sheer mag bass.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Jazz Bass, everything up.

Roundwounds of any brand.

Pick.

Ampeg stack (optional)

Done* :)

Si

*its a recording, there will undoubtably be some EQing & compression happening by the engineer/masterer.

Yes, last point very valid! 

I think he's got an active jazz with a pan pot rather than the standard VVT.

So at a guess he's balancing the pickups with the pan pot, with the pot set more or less in the middle, maybe with slightly more bridge pickup.

Easy to do with the pan pot, a bit more fiddly with a VVT.

Edited by Cato

2 hours ago, Cato said:

I think he's got an active jazz with a pan pot rather than the standard VVT.

So at a guess he's balancing the pickups with the pan pot, with the pot set more or less in the middle, maybe with slightly more bridge pickup.

Easy to do with the pan pot, a bit more fiddly with a VVT.

this. I find with a VVT the sweet spot is neck pup full, bridge pup backed off until the slight mid boost occurs.All is personal taste of course :)

7 hours ago, bazzbass said:

this. I find with a VVT the sweet spot is neck pup full, bridge pup backed off until the slight mid boost occurs.All is personal taste of course :)

I do the same but back off the neck slightly. Either way, the tiniest backing off of either really changes the sound quite a bit; the term "opens up" seems to fit with how it sounds.

20 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Do you guys think the 70s v 60s bridge pick up location makes a difference to the 'Jazz' sound? Certainly Marcus Miller has the 70s location - not sure whether Jaco altered his. 

There's a subtle difference you can spot when compared side by side; the V7 vs V7 vintage videos online would indicate this.  Could someone tell my Vintage from the normal V7 live in a band? Maybe....

34 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Do you guys think the 70s v 60s bridge pick up location makes a difference to the 'Jazz' sound? Certainly Marcus Miller has the 70s location - not sure whether Jaco altered his. 

It definitely sounds different, slightly... but it's another flavour of the same sound, to my ears, and not worth worrying about. I've had both and in the end I always preferred the 60s placement, as the bridge alone in the 70s position was too thin for me.

Edited by mcnach

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

As soon as you get to the last bit... the bit with a *... it could be anything and everything.

That's always the tripping point when trying to find how to get a sound on a record.

There could be all sorts of fairly extreme processing done in the mixing.

Not so much with bass, but with guitar the track is often double tracked very tightly which changes the sound so much.

The bass part may well be doubled with a synth for example.

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Have you confirmed that the bass on the recording is the one he uses live?

Si

I'm not an obsessive fan, but I'm inclined to believe it is. They're not making GnR levels of cash selling out stadiums with endless supplies of guitars! 

50 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

I'm not an obsessive fan, but I'm inclined to believe it is. They're not making GnR levels of cash selling out stadiums with endless supplies of guitars! 

There’s pics of him playing a Precision too.

Si

Yes, both fair points. I think their recording was somewhat of a DIY affair with own instruments but there's always a possibility it's a borrowed instrument. 

The P seems to be rare in appearance compared with the J. 

I'm a novice with production stuff but I take the point about studio and mastering techniques.