Why become a member? ×

Having to cancel a gig at short notice

Paul S

It maybe a bit different on the originals punk circuit, but if we ever have to pull out of a gig we`ll contact bands we know and put them in touch with the promoter. What they agree amongst themselves is their business, if they get more well done to their negotiating power. If they get less, well practice a bit harder (that remark said in jest btw).

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

And there is the other theory that if they negotiate more, maybe we should practise harder...

Lozz, you're WAY too diplomatic to be a punk. Everyone should practise harder. Or not at all. :D

Edited by discreet

On 31/12/2017 at 22:22, martin8708 said:

If the pub is a regular music venue , they will probably have numerous bands on their books 

It would not take the landlord / manager very long to do quick phone-a-round to find a replacement band .

Providing you let the pub know you are unable to to the gig , i dont think its down to you to find a replacement band , let alone stump up extra cash to entice another band to take the gig , although , fair play to your guitarist for finding a replacement band .

This

On 1/1/2018 at 02:14, Les said:

Helping to track down a replacement is laudable, paying the extra money is just beyond the call of duty, and a bit daft if you don't mind me saying.

Yup - and I do think it was presumptuous of your guitarist to believe that everyone in the band would be happy to pay the extra money he decided to offer the replacement band. I really would not be happy about that and would let the guy know - if it were me.

Personally I would have contacted the venue to let them know there was a problem as soon as the band knew. Then offered the landlord to help find a replacement, and if no luck then so be it, you've done all you can (or at least be expected to do).