Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a Bass which suits Ska type music..

Mickyk

6 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

Would this do the job...do you think...i think i'm guilty of keep looking at excuses to buy a new Bass really.

http://www.rattleanddrum.com/fender-standard-jaguar-bass-in-black-pau-ferro.html

I honestly find it hard to believe that will sound better than your Yamaha. The BBs are tone monsters! If you fancy a new bass I’d say get a completely different flavour alongside what you already have. Something with an MM style humbuckers maybe, or a Jazz. That is, of course, if you have the option of keeping both basses.

11 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, ok. I’m sure the Orange Crush 50 is a decent practice amp but for Ska and related genres you’ll really feel the benefit of a beefier system. Rest assured that a beefier amp will put a big grin on your face!

In the meantime, have you tried using the onboard headphone amp & Aux in on the Orange? Play along to some of the tracks you’ll be gigging and see how close you can get to the sound you’re looking for. Using decent headphones of course. The amp may still be a limiting factor here though, as apparently it applies a cab simulator to the headphone output. Others may be more qualified to judge but I’m not sure the “Orange sound” is synonymous with Ska/reggae/dub? I could well be wrong. In any case, start with the Amp’s EQ flat and experiment with the controls on the bass to begin with. You’ll get there!

Thanks Cameron i will look into the Aux in thing have to admit i didn't even know it had that option.

7 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Orange amps are perfect for dub/reggae/ska, just not the 50W ones!

I agree your money would be better spent on a new amp rather then a new bass, the BB will do the job just fine and if it's too bright, that's what the tone control is for.

OH right looks like i'm barking up the wrong tree then although i wouldn't be using the Orange if i got the gig though.Cheers.

13 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I can only echo the suggestion of flats on your BB. The strings are more important than the bass, to be honest! When it comes to EQ, aim a little higher than you might imagine, too- emphasis around 80-160 with less subs should help with that round, punchy tone which stays clear. It also relies on the other players knowing to leave that area for the bass to really breath there, but that's another matter! I have a BB425 with flats on, and if I remember it had much more mid- punch than I expected. It's had a stint in storage, but I've been thinking of getting it back out for a couple of weeks now. Thought I'd have a trial separation, but I definitely miss it!

Re: The Selector, one of my biggest regrets is that I had the chance to audition for them, but couldn't make it as was already on the road with a show I found quite frustrating. A dream job scuppered by a nightmare one! xD

Good write up thanks for that,i'm leaning towards trying the flats first i think.

Can't believe you turned down a chance to audition for The Selector,they were spot on the other night although i have to say Rankin Roger made the difference with the Beat performance,still jumping about at his age was amazing.

17 hours ago, Mickyk said:

As the title suggests i may have  a chance of playing in a Ska type band doing covers of people like the Specials, The Beat,The Selecter ETC. I currently play a Yamaha BB 424 x which i think is not ideal for this genre as i think it sounds a bit too bright,so any recommendations for a better sounding Bass.  

I don't know, a 424 looks like it should be just fine... I would recommend a Precision, so a P/J like the 424 is in the right territory. If it's too bright, I'd be looking at strings... as long as you do like the bass and have no other reason to look into getting a new instrument. 

I play a lot of ska and reggae in the main bands I'm in, and mostly use a Stingray. It works. You can make pretty much any bass work, and if you look at what people use in the genre you'll see that the variety is large, but the Precision figures there heavily... just because it's everywhere, I suppose! xD

I'd say try different strings. I do like roundwounds, stainless steel... but they are very bright to start with and it takes a while until I'm happy 100%. My favourite ones are DR Fat Beams. When using a passive bass, having the right electronics helps a lot. Using 250K pots as opposed to 500K gets you a slightly darker tone that to me fits better, especially on a Precision. But also the right capacitor is the difference between having a tone control that gives you 2 sounds, or multiple useful ones. The good news is caps are cheap: it's worth buying a handful (pennies) and try them until you hit the right one for your taste. My Classic 50s Precision is just right, and you go from very bright to a thumpy mid-rich, fat sound that works beautifully for ska. With 2 year old Fat Beams ;)

I love Labella White Nylons too. Not cheap, but... they feel great (low tension), smooth, and have a beautiful sound: gets you very defined bass, yet fat, and no undesirable 'zing'... 

That's the kind of thing I'd try. I think a P/J bass is a great bass for ska.

edit: after reading more and seeing what you're playing through... I'd say stick to what you have, don't change a thing, and wait until you play at band volume with the band, with a larger amplifier, and see how the 424 behaves. Chances are that all you need to do is roll off the tone control a tiny bit. 

Edited by mcnach

3 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Would this do the job...do you think...i think i'm guilty of keep looking at excuses to buy a new Bass really.

http://www.rattleanddrum.com/fender-standard-jaguar-bass-in-black-pau-ferro.html

It looks like you just want a new bass ;) That's a P/J like your 424!

(nothing wrong with wanting more basses, by the way... ha!)

3 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, ok. I’m sure the Orange Crush 50 is a decent practice amp but for Ska and related genres you’ll really feel the benefit of a beefier system. Rest assured that a beefier amp will put a big grin on your face!

In the meantime, have you tried using the onboard headphone amp & Aux in on the Orange? Play along to some of the tracks you’ll be gigging and see how close you can get to the sound you’re looking for. Using decent headphones of course. The amp may still be a limiting factor here though, as apparently it applies a cab simulator to the headphone output. Others may be more qualified to judge but I’m not sure the “Orange sound” is synonymous with Ska/reggae/dub? I could well be wrong. In any case, start with the Amp’s EQ flat and experiment with the controls on the bass to begin with. You’ll get there!

Good point about the amp... The OP may just not be getting *the sound* using his practice amp at home. I'd wait until you use your 424 with the band, at high volumes with a beefy amp and see how it feels. It would be nothing like you're experiencing with the practice amp.

As for the 'Orange Sound' not being ska-friendly... I don't know... a local music venue provides an Orange Bass Terror and 410, and it works very very well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mickyk said:

I agree with the consensus that a Fender MIM instrument is unlikely to be significantly better than your current instrument. Certainly not worth shelling out over six hundred quid for.

If £600 is your budget, it might be better invested in either gig-worthy amplification or superior pickups for the BB424X. 

Overall, all that really needs doing is to shunt away some of the wiry treble frequencies and emphasise the really low frequencies. Sockets for either an extension loudspeaker enclosure or an XLR output to run through the public address system would help with dub sub reinforcement. Unfortunately, the Crush 50 Bass has neither of these.

• Like 1

i have a 424x and 424. far and away my favourite basses ever, and ive had usa precisions and jazzes etc.

just as a curve ball, id recommend a multi fx pedal. i had a fantastic dub reggae sound by using the ampeg svt amp sim and wound all the treble out, amended the eq for a dub type sound.

the beauty with the 424 is that you can set the sound with your bass in middle pick up position (p&j) then if you need more treble/bite then flick to the jazz position, or if you need less go to the precision position. A real easy on the fly fix.

agree with everyone re the sound you hear at home will be completely different in the band setting. always go for a more high mid sound to start with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

we do a couple of Ska songs in the set, Monkey Man and Rat Race, I just turn the treble down on my P bass, cuts through nicely

We do monkey man, always goes down well, same as a few bosstones and some other Ska stuff.

It plays well with whatever bass I happen to have, as well, its just a bass innit?

Edited by Woodinblack

23 hours ago, fleabag said:

The Greek loves Status Hotwires black nylon tapewounds.  As do many others. Status-Graphite sell them but long scale have been out of stock, but you'll find that medium scale will fit as they have a long tuner end for winding on. The Greek will confirm

Tis true...they will and I have...